60 Days Tourist Visas Forever

To come to Thailand on Tourist Visas, leave get a new tourist visa and return is not breaking laws or finding loop holes,

If a consulate will issue the tourist visa, then its all legal and above board.

If you look back you will find that the Thais changed the rules to try to stop farangs working illegally in Thailand. I can assure any member that the Thaïs do not have a problem with rich westerns staying long term however legally managed in Thailand spending their money.

To Answer the OP question, it is too early to say, but really I cannot see this being a problem

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To come to Thailand on Tourist Visas, leave get a new tourist visa and return is not breaking laws or finding loop holes,

If you look back you will find that the Thais changed the rules to try to stop farangs working illegally in Thailand. I can assure any member that the Thaïs do not have a problem with rich westerns staying long term however legally managed in Thailand spending their money.

To Answer the OP question, it is too early to say, but really I cannot see this being a problem

To each your opinion but to me using short term permits back to back is not what they were intended for and therefore abusing the system making it more difficult for genuine short term stayers.

If Thai Consulates issue back to back tourist visas it will be their decisions, we will see if this will happen.

Indications so far seems to show that it might not be the case

The first report I remember reading was by a ThaiVisa member who got this warning written in his passport by the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh, the second was in Yangon, the third in Singapore, all within the last four or five months.

Old news. This has been going on for *years* at these consulates.

Well said there Rocky!

A couple points should be made here.

1) If you're not breaking any laws here (e.g., working illegally, etc) then nobody's working against you being here. Decent folks will always be welcome here in the Land of Smile!

2) As many of us old timers (or should i say long timers HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :o ) know all too well, the good folks down at immigration regularly instruct foreigners living here in the kingdom (who aren't working here) to bend or outright break the rules. I for one was told at one time by a high official at CM Imm. that i should just take visa runs up to Mae Sai every month cause that was "easy for you!" Now, when i asked the officer how many times can i do that he laughed right loud and said "Oh! Many many!" Another time i was told the "easiest" way to get a long term visa is to "get married with Thai lady." Is that easy?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D Maybe one of you newbie green horns who got the whole immigration scheme worked out can tell us that!

It's important to see the difference between the LETTER and the SPIRIT of The law :D

Nothing new about Singapore either. Visa applicants arriving at the Thai embassy in the Lion City direct from Thailand looking for a back-to-back tourist visa have often been given a hard time in the past.

So it’s been a long-standing practice even in Singapore? The latest report I read was about a warning stamp given in September 2007:

So I went to Singapore at the end of September, and I asked for a dual entry tourist VISA. They gave me a single entry; they gave my friend a single entry with the remark in his passport "This time only at Royal Thai Embassy Singapore"--they told us he can't get another Tourist VISA from Singapore after this one runs out.

--

Maestro

Nothing new about Singapore either. Visa applicants arriving at the Thai embassy in the Lion City direct from Thailand looking for a back-to-back tourist visa have often been given a hard time in the past.

So it’s been a long-standing practice even in Singapore? The latest report I read was about a warning stamp given in September 2007:

The Thai embassy in Singapore has a long history of not being friendly to long-term "tourists". I've seen them hassle applicants with my own eyes as long ago as 1999/2000. I know that I've read reports of people being turned down and then told that they'll get a thirty-day stamp at the border. It would take a while to find the post but I distinctly remember somebody posting that exact scenario a couple years ago and being extremely hacked-off about it because he had gone all the way to Singapore for a new TR visa. That said, some applicants have apparently had success in Singapore so the process may well be hit and miss there. In any event, I wouldn't consider that consular office to be a reliable bet for back-to-back tourist visas.

--

Maestro

Well, heck, Maestro! Seems like you don't even know what year it is!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :o

:D

...Thai embassy in Singapore...reports of people being turned down and then told that they'll get a thirty-day stamp at the border.

Being sent packing without any visa at all is even worse than getting the Tourist visa with a warning not to come back for more. Somebody reported the same happening to him in October this year at the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh.

Will this attitude spread to other Thai consulates in the region? Nobody knows for sure. Those concerned can but try and see.

--

Maestro

...Thai embassy in Singapore...reports of people being turned down and then told that they'll get a thirty-day stamp at the border.

Being sent packing without any visa at all is even worse than getting the Tourist visa with a warning not to come back for more. Somebody reported the same happening to him in October this year at the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh.

Will this attitude spread to other Thai consulates in the region? Nobody knows for sure. Those concerned can but try and see.

--

Maestro

Now, let's not twist things here Maestro old buddy. These are isolated incidents involving people whose backgrounds we know little or nothing about that you're citing, not "ATTITUDES" held by Thai officials, capable of "SPREADING TO OTHER THAI CONSULATES." There is no plague, just some new visa policies. Let's check ourselves partner. :o

I've never had a visa refused at any embassy around the world. I even got visas issued when in conditions when i shouldn't have, by law, issued a visa. I hold permanent residence in 3 countries, excluding my home country passport and non-immigrant O visa in Thailand.

My rules are go to the embassy well dressed (not in khakis and a singha beer shirt) and be professional. If they tell you that you can't get this or that, don't start throwing rocks or yelling, ask them what other options you have, talk to them. If they tell you to come back tomorrow with more documents or this or that, say thank you and do it.

Always worked for me :o

I've never had a visa refused at any embassy around the world. I even got visas issued when in conditions when i shouldn't have, by law, issued a visa. I hold permanent residence in 3 countries, excluding my home country passport and non-immigrant O visa in Thailand.

My rules are go to the embassy well dressed (not in khakis and a singha beer shirt) and be professional. If they tell you that you can't get this or that, don't start throwing rocks or yelling, ask them what other options you have, talk to them. If they tell you to come back tomorrow with more documents or this or that, say thank you and do it.

Always worked for me :o

I agree 100%, when you ask if the answer is no, then ask another question to find out what you can achieve, when trying to get a visa in nearby country's, if turned down, go back the later that day or the next day dressed in different cloths, you never know your luck, could just be a offical with a bad day attitude. I have never viewed the answer no as no, just have to reask.

(As a teenager if iwas ever turned away from a night club, i just joined the back of the que and tried again, and i always got in)

(I arrived in china last year without a visa and got into china after being grilled by immigration for an hour, the embassy in england said i would not get in and would be turned away, but i did it, just as i thought.)

hi, I have been in Thailand 6 years and allways used the 60 day tourist Visa, I do NOT have one 30 stamp inmy passport, even in the old days 1 or 2 years back I would get questions ask, at penang once they wanted to see proof of income from out side Thaialnd, I shoed them once. After that I would ask do they need this info and one time they just made a copy of one of my credit cards... I am not sure what the future holds, but I never liked the idea of going out every monty, worth while to to to Penang or KL get teh visa and your good for 3 months, if you exstend 30 days in BKK.....will they get tough of the TV's now?? maybe, if you can not show money as I have done in the past maybe you should pack up and go home, maaybe you do not belong here. I am not trying to be judgemental, but the reason they want get away from the 30 day stamp is so they can ask you questions, in todays world most nations are getting tougher.....

I can assure any member that the Thaïs do not have a problem with rich westerns staying long term however legally managed in Thailand spending their money.

What a pity Immigration thinks otherways.

In fact I moved something like 9 million baht inside this country (that is I own Thai stocks, bank deposits and real estate for a 9 million baht total) yet being under 50 years , not married to a Thai, not running a business and been the investor VISA deleted, I CANNOT APPLY FOR ANY VISA apart the tourist one.

I thought owning assets equivalent to ONE CENTURY OF AVERAGE SALARY qualified me as "rich", but perhaps was wrong. :o

I am of course preparing to move to Philippines.

I can assure any member that the Thaïs do not have a problem with rich westerns staying long term however legally managed in Thailand spending their money.

In fact I moved something like 9 million baht inside this country (that is I own Thai stocks, bank deposits and real estate for a 9 million baht total) yet being under 50 years , not married to a Thai, not running a business and been the investor VISA deleted, I CANNOT APPLY FOR ANY VISA apart the tourist one.

I thought owning assets equivalent to ONE CENTURY OF AVERAGE SALARY qualified me as "rich", but perhaps was wrong. :o

Seems like you missed the topic here Guadente my friend. What we're talking about here is whether or not foreigners will be allowed to stay here years round on Tourist Visas, not whether or not having more money than other people entitles you to some visa other than the Tourist Visa. Enjoy yourself in the Philippines buddy. :D

spot on Rodger!

Hope he/she enjoys the Phillipines.You are right, The Thais do not want decent law-abiding Westerners out for any reason at all. (well, the Japanese Ambassadors' wife informed me of this- so cannot call it one way or another being a mere 'layman'). Reckon all will be fine,as long as people go to Penang,Vientiene, their home country. Why would the Thais want decent foreign folk out?

spot on Rodger!

Hope he/she enjoys the Phillipines.You are right, The Thais do not want decent law-abiding Westerners out for any reason at all. (well, the Japanese Ambassadors' wife informed me of this- so cannot call it one way or another being a mere 'layman'). Reckon all will be fine,as long as people go to Penang,Vientiene, their home country. Why would the Thais want decent foreign folk out?

I AM DECENT FOREIGN FOLK (and pardon me, I think of myself something better then just "decent", perhaps "commendable" is more appropriate) yet they want me out or in the best of cases they want me peregrinating their foreign consulates begging for a VISA they can deny at their caprice.

//Edit for language - lopburi3//

A visa is not a right it is always at the discretion of the country you want to visit. This is a fundamental right every country enjoys.

Some make it more difficult than others and most 'first world' nations make it very difficult indeed more so than Thailand to visit or to stay.

Why would you want to stay in such a country ? Find somewhere 'better' and tell us about it

I thought owning assets equivalent to ONE CENTURY OF AVERAGE SALARY qualified me as "rich", but perhaps was wrong. :D

If you are sooo "Rich" why not just get an Elite Membership? :o

spot on Rodger!

I AM DECENT FOREIGN FOLK (and pardon me, I think of myself something better then just "decent", perhaps "commendable" is more appropriate) yet they want me out or in the best of cases they want me peregrinating their foreign consulates begging for a VISA they can deny at their caprice.

//edit for language - lopburi3//

Guadente, i commend you on your effort to make other folks nervous about the new visa policies. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE :o You talk like you've been denied ALREADY. It ain't even January first yet! If you been denied a visa already, tell us about it, otherwise all this jibber jabber amounts to a whole lot of nothing - just more squab-holler for folks to pick through as they look for valid information on the new policies. Thais are good folks and we all know it. If they wasn't, we wouldn't be wastin our time on this here forum tryin to find a way to stay here with 'em.

I'm sure them Phillipinas will know how to treat you. Good luck to ya. :D

:o

spot on Rodger!

//edit for language - lopburi3//

Guadente, i commend you on your effort to make other folks nervous about the new visa policies. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE :D You talk like you've been denied ALREADY. It ain't even January first yet! If you been denied a visa already, tell us about it, otherwise all this jibber jabber amounts to a whole lot of nothing - just more squab-holler for folks to pick through as they look for valid information on the new policies. Thais are good folks and we all know it. If they wasn't, we wouldn't be wastin our time on this here forum tryin to find a way to stay here with 'em.

I'm sure them Phillipinas will know how to treat you. Good luck to ya. :D

Krub,

sorry -don't know you, just read you! You are probably a great person, but your negativity shines through so badly (oxymoron, I know) it's just not true. Let you know soon when I comeback from laos! A lot of what you say is ....well, let's just leave it at that.

All the best,

B>gas

Dear All, I have a simple question: is there a limit to the number of tourist visas one EU citizen can buy in 1 year from Thai embassies near Thailand? I mean: get a tourist visa for 1000 THB, stay in Thailand 2 months, go out and get another one, repeat the process over and over again, 6 times/year. No VoA in between, so no 1-2-3 marks on passort, no extensions of visa, just the simple, old fashioned tourist visa.

Will Immigration allow this?

Thanks

Lusty

Just mail your passport back to any european union country, ask someone to mail it to a consulate (you can download the visa applicatons from the net) request a triple non immigrat visa and just before it runs out you do the same.

1. There is no such thing as a triple non immigrant visa for Thailand.

2. You must have your passport when in most countries so mailing it is not a good idea.

3. A visa issued without you in the jurisdiction of the Consulate would likely not be honored by Immigration.

...have you SEEN any "text" saying "no more tourist visas?" or is that there just hearsay?

It's just hearsay, Roger Dodger. Everything you read on this forum is what you read (hear) other people say. I have not held a passport with such writing in my hands, if that is what you mean. The first report I remember reading was by a ThaiVisa member who got this warning written in his passport by the Thai consulate in Phnom Penh, the second was in Yangon, the third in Singapore, all within the last four or five months.

--

Maestro

Well, you can't teach old Maestro a new song!! Hehehehhe :o

I wasn't tryin to heat you up good buddy! I was just suggesting there that Lusty was askin about REGULATIONS and everybodys a chimin in with what they 'heard' and as you well know, it's never been easy getting a TV in Phnom Penh. That run's put the hassle of folks FOR YEARS! and that Rangoon run has seldom been much better. Having made both these runs several times in my 28 years in the LOS i can assure you all of that!! Now, i haven't heard anything about anyone being refused a Tourist Visa in Singapore and i follow this here forum quite closely. If you're referring to our man Guru, pls note that he was applying for a Non-Imm-Ed. Visa NOT a Tourist Visa.

And we should all remember... If we stick to them FACTS, it can't ALL be hearsay! :D

FWIW, Singapore has been refusing back to back tourist visas for at least three years. In 2003 I first got one from them without a problem, but was denied when I came back for a second one. Other people have posted since, with the same experience.

1. There is no such thing as a triple non immigrant visa for Thailand.

2. You must have your passport when in most countries so mailing it is not a good idea.

3. A visa issued without you in the jurisdiction of the Consulate would likely not be honored by Immigration.

as to no.3, is this a actual legal prohibition or just another "up to you" decision? is it written anywhere?

FWIW, Singapore has been refusing back to back tourist visas for at least three years. In 2003 I first got one from them without a problem, but was denied when I came back for a second one. Other people have posted since, with the same experience.

I was at the Thai embassy in Singapore in 1999/2000 procuring a non-immigrant visa and I witnessed them refusing people with back-to-back tourist visa requests, so those policies do go back quite a ways.