Those inexpensive (699-1500 baht) prescription eyeglass vendors around the MBK/Siam Square area

SteveSamui6262

i had a pair made at a 300 baht shop, in fact using them now for computer work, +.75 in both eyes, so good for the price, if your prescription is more complex with an  astigmatism then maybe not the best place to go, same with bifocals

As said above for reading type glasses cheap should be fine - for actual prescription I would not want an untrained machine operator making that decision (although am sure some with experience may be OK).  But can understand why people would use with the very high prices charged by chain stores.  

But perhaps better to have a professional exam from a doctor in hospital setting and use that information as your basis for any prescription - exam does not cost that much.

If you have a simple correction, there are several shops in Chinatown with thousands of off the shelf spec's of various styles and strengths.  Very cheap, but useless for those of us who have astigmatism.

I'm still looking for a decent shop in BKK that doesn't gouge on more complex prescriptions with a lot of astigmatism.  I'm intrigued by the OP, but suspect they just take measurements then put a couple of standard lenses into a selected frame, as opposed to having the lenses custom ground.  Anybody know?

An alternative suggestion that worked very well for me and my gf.  "Zenni Optical" is an online seller of prescription glasses.  I have a very strong and unbalanced correction, usually my lenses are like coke bottle bottoms.  Quotes in the US for lightweight, high index lenses were $500 and up. 25,000 Baht here in Bangkok.

My pair from Zenni that I am wearing as I type this (High index, lightweight) was $130 and delivered to me here in Bangkok for $9 additional.  They actually have prescription glasses starting at $6 for light prescriptions.  I took my GF  to Rutnin Eye Hosp. on Asok where she had a complete eye exam for B1300 including a prescription. I ordered her 3 pair of glasses, 2 at the $6 price and a pair for reading at $20.  They arrived in 10 days and were perfect. She uses them every day.

I suggest you check out their website. http://www.zennioptical.com/