Patong Mayor pushes for sun loungers, calls for clarity over beach rules

rooster59

48 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm trying to figure out why some enterprising locals aren't set up across the street from the beach renting out 3-5 pound aluminum lawn chairs and 1-2 pound umbrellas that tourists can easily carry 50 meters, set up by themselves and leave behind for the vendor to pick up later.  Hell, add wheels for the real old farts (like myself)

And with smart phones pretty ubiquitous, an app to order beers and burgers from across the street, to be delivered to said lawn chairs by attentive cabana boys and girls.  (And for techni-phobes, just give them 2 colored flags- wave one to order a beer and the other for a burger)

Seems like it doesn't encroach on the King's land, keeps the tourists out of the sun, properly fed and lubricated- and keeps Thais at work.

What am I missing?

"why some enterprising locals aren't set up across the street from the beach" - this would entail renting a shop, which, on Beach Road/s, would not be cheap.

"What am I missing?" - they don't want to pay rent. 

This is why I predicted they would rent the chairs and umbrellas from the back of a trailer, parked on Beach Road - no rent to pay.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Good thinking...........and the missing part might go something like this: GRAFT........to whom do I pay the money, how much is it and how many are there involved?

I'm pretty sure that's already been decided for every square inch on both sides of the beach road.

15 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"What am I missing?" - they don't want to pay rent. 

This is why I predicted they would rent the chairs and umbrellas from the back of a trailer, parked on Beach Road - no rent to pay.  

I have a hard time believing they weren't paying rent on the beach.  I know this because there wasn't blood in the sand every day when they fought over the prime spots.  Someone was refereeing, and not for altruistic reasons.

EDIT;  my other proposal was to rent them out of a clapped out 35' speedboat parked 20' off the beach.  Then there's no question of encroachment on land.

Edited by impulse

14 hours ago, impulse said:

<snip>

EDIT;  my other proposal was to rent them out of a clapped out 35' speedboat parked 20' off the beach.  Then there's no question of encroachment on land.

That's what they do at Phra Nang beach in Krabi. Except that instead of a speedboat, it's longtail boats that have been modified (think food truck). They beach the boat all day and customers walk out to them in less than knee deep water to order their food. Legally, I think this should be prohibited by the Marine Department, but we all know how a similar scenario involving jetskis in Patong played out last year.

14 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

<snip> 

No can do without paying off someone. The beach side of the beach road is controlled by the rental car and motorbike guys. While they tolerate the public parking motorbikes and cars in what limited spaces are left there, there's no way they'd allow someone to setup shop in "their area". Same goes for the inland side, except it's the tuk tuk mafia in control.

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

No can do without paying off someone. The beach side of the beach road is controlled by the rental car and motorbike guys. While they tolerate the public parking motorbikes and cars in what limited spaces are left there, there's no way they'd allow someone to setup shop in "their area". Same goes for the inland side, except it's the tuk tuk mafia in control.

Exactly ... everyone wants their piece of the action .... and the tourist helps pay for every one of them.