LAN connection to Android box

bkkmick

Hi

In the living room I have a PC running Windows 10 connected via a LAN cable to a Minix 6 Android box running 4.2.

Frequently and at random times the connection to the PC drops and the network icon on the Android box swaps from blue to white.

a r4

To stream TV it's not a problem as I can use WiFi and that never disconnects. But if I want to watch something that I've downloaded it's a pain in the arse as it keeps stopping.

Does anyone know what's happening here as it;s driving me nuts.

Cheers

Mick

I've had issues with Auto MDI-X Ethernet Interface on Ethernet Switches.  

Sometimes the MDI hardware gets confused and reconfigures the port from MDI-X (emulate cross-over cable, swap Rx and Tx) to MDI and the connected device loses connection.

While I've sometimes gone to the pain of rewiring the Ethernet cable as an actual Cross-Over cable in hopes it won't keep being an issue, I'm more inclined to bin the Switch and replace it with one that doesn't keep reconfiguring the port.   

first thing then is try your lan cable in another port of the switch and if possible change lan port of router,any lan port could become intermittent after a nearby lightning strike or other electrical disturbance.
another thing to check is that you dont have another device trying to use the same ip address as the PC or android box. if the router hands out ip addresses try setting your pc and android box to a static addresses either in the repective devices lan connection settings or tell the router to always assign the pc as for example 192.168.10 and the android as 192.168.1.20

Thanks for the replies.

Sometimes the easiest solution works. 

I never actually thought about the switch until John mentioned it. I reset the switch and swapped the port and I've been watching my downloaded stuff for a couple of hours without interruption.

Fingers crossed.

All the best

Mick