Has TRUE started blocking foreign DNS services?

PeterInFrankfurt

Since Friday 13th, I get no replies from my SMART DNS servers in the UK and in the USA. My ISP is TRUE.  I've made a few tests today and I get replies from Google DNS and from OpenDNS Home, but I see no responses from the other 5 servers I've tested. Has TRUE started to block foreign DNS services? Is anyone else having the same problem?

I am writing this in between calls with 3BB (fiber) techs.  This is the third time this month that I cannot connect with many of my U.S. websites.  I don't know how to run the tests you mention, but speedtest.net will not connect with the U.S. but I can connect with Thailand and a slow connection to Australia.  Twice this month I called 3BB, they said they would reboot the server or that I had an IP problem.  It was back working correctly within 10 minutes.  Tonight I am still waiting after about an hour.  

I have also had dns problems with 3bb today. Some idiot has obviously buggered something up - I just hope they sort it out.

It reminds me of the early days of Thai internet about 12 years ago when they would regularly reset their dns and wonder why no one could access websites until the 'address book' had been re-written.

I changed my DNS to OPENDNS. settings   208.67.222.222   208.67.220.220 and everything seemed to work normally, though slow.  As a test, I switched back to "Select DNS Automatically", and it also worked normally.  No idea what significance this has.  I haven't heard back from 3BB.

So this morning I just received a call from the 3BB tech in Bangkok. My connections are better, but still slow.  He politely said (the understatement of the year) "I think there is something wrong with OUR network.  We are working on it". 

There was definitely something wrong with 3BB's network last night in resolving addresses. DNS problems I think. I've seen this happen now again but it always seems to get resolved quite quickly. Some sites don't load. I couldn't connect Tapatalk to any forum, but it did work using a vpn. I couldn't download a book from Amazon. Weird stuff like that. It seems to be okay now.

3 hours ago, DTiger said:

Maybe time to give a try with this DNSBenchmark

I second the suggestion to download and run DNS Benchmark (DNSBench) and let it test various DNS resolvers to see how well as a group each returns mulltiple DNS Lookup results.

I'll generally run this app when I notice that my browser is fetching pages slowly. I use the results page entries to reconfigure my router, take the fastest responding DNS server and placing it as my Primary DNS, the fastest ISP provided DNS as my Secondary DNS, and the quickest Google or other open DNS as my Tertiary DNS entry. 

Even though I'm a TOT Fiber2U FTTx customer, I find using a 3BB nameserver will provide quicker resolves than my ISP nameserver.  

DNS Bench will also you manually enter other DNS IP addresses to include in its testing but may not show results if the nameserver blocks queries from foreign (non-local network) clients.