What to plant 1 rai land with

Hi hopefully someone can help

Got 1 rai apx of land next to our house. Need to plant something in it list of no no's first from us.

Sugar (school next door students went in two years ago when sugar was growing in there and set fire to it whilst smoking came very close to burning house)

Thai sweet potatoes (price so low for buying not worth the hassle)

So if there is anything else people can think of prefer something needing minimal looking after (have enough with veg plots to look after.)

Thanks for any replies 

11 minutes ago, grollies said:

Yep, banana. Try a couple of different types. About 8 months to grow but need weeding, water and lots of chicken manure.

If you keep geese in there with the bananas they keep the weeds down and provide the manure automatically :)

Delicious eggs and security guards are a bonus :)

50 minutes ago, grollies said:

Yep, banana. Try a couple of different types. About 8 months to grow but need weeding, water and lots of chicken manure.

Have 20 or so banana trees already in our garden bit put them in a couple of years ago got banana's this year of the small variety none so far of the big bananas variety but out of those 20 15 where the big fruit banana trees and the off shoots have supplied us with another 25 trees had to give them away no room in garden. Never used manure on them plenty water when first planted then just left them. Problem is with bananas there in massive abundance round here never be able to sell or get rid of fruit. So I'm starting to think mango and papaya.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

If you keep geese in there with the bananas they keep the weeds down and provide the manure automatically :)

Got three geese and three goslings but the beggars won't move from the pond.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

Have 20 or so banana trees already in our garden bit put them in a couple of years ago got banana's this year of the small variety none so far of the big bananas variety but out of those 20 15 where the big fruit banana trees and the off shoots have supplied us with another 25 trees had to give them away no room in garden. Never used manure on them plenty water when first planted then just left them. Problem is with bananas there in massive abundance round here never be able to sell or get rid of fruit. So I'm starting to think mango and papaya.

Papaya grow easily and quickly. You'd be surprised what you could sell. I was sceptical about wifey starting gai kai but she can sell upwards of 150 eggs a day.

Having chat to a few locals bananas are out we have enough for our own needs but just about everyone else in the village as a multitude of them. Lemon grass seems to be a recuring suggestion can sell it in bulk at kk market via a village veg seller easy to grow used in lots of thai food.

1 minute ago, Deepinthailand said:

Having chat to a few locals bananas are out we have enough for our own needs but just about everyone else in the village as a multitude of them. Lemon grass seems to be a recuring suggestion can sell it in bulk at kk market via a village veg seller easy to grow used in lots of thai food.

Good idea. We were going to intercrop some young rubber with it but went for bananas instead. Lemongrass easy to grow, quick results, can leave it alone. Same with galangal.

Small eggplant trees grow like weeds round here, used a lot in cooking. About 25THB/ kg.

What about chillies? 

Just now, grollies said:

Good idea. We were going to intercrop some young rubber with it but went for bananas instead. Lemongrass easy to grow, quick results, can leave it alone. Same with galangal.

Small eggplant trees grow like weeds round here, used a lot in cooking. About 25THB/ kg.

What about chillies? 

Tried chilies in garden not a brilliant success.  Will go with lemon grass. Have 6 healthy bushes in garden so will use them to replant.

If you have the money, make a fish/shrimp pond out of your 1 RAI...

1 Rai of pond can hold 5 - 10K fish and you feed them only when they're big enough.

Only 1 year and you sell them for around 35 - 50Bth/Kilo (comes down to size and what type of fish).

Edited by BozZFX

30 minutes ago, BozZFX said:

If you have the money, make a fish/shrimp pond out of your 1 RAI...

1 Rai of pond can hold 5 - 10K fish and you feed them only when they're big enough.

Only 1 year and you sell them for around 35 - 50Bth/Kilo (comes down to size and what type of fish).

Thanks but not wanting anything alive in there. And something with minimal work to land but thanks for suggestions 

Thanks but not wanting anything alive in there. And something with minimal work to land but thanks for suggestions 

Then i can suggest you Papaya/Banana/Corn/ or any vegetables and fruit that grows/harvest fast.

Was laying out a plan yesterday papaya around edges and lemon grass inside. Might try some corn see how it takes.

Banana/Papaya on the outside, everything else inside, you should try Lemon/Cabbage/Broccoli.....

Why not try Gac Fruit, it is a vine and grows like weed, do not need lots of water (actually it hates a lot of water) and it is easy to take care, needs pruning sometimes, and that's all. But first check if your local market are willing to buy it and how much they pay. 1 Rai is a lot for gac. Also Dragon Fruit is a good option.

On 15/01/2017 at 11:15 AM, Deepinthailand said:

You could process the fruit as a jam, thai kanom, banana cake (it is super delicious here in my area) or in last case, use your excess to compost/build up your soil if you can't sell up or give away to someone.

I have 2 rai or orchard.  Very easy to take care of and get several tones of Mangos every year.

We have mostly mango trees of various varieties.  Also Lamyai. 

I can never be bothered growing vegetables or other smaller things..as they need too much care, watering, pest control, shading, etc.  The trees mostly take care of themselves.. and are very pest resistant...  never have to use pesticides. 

28 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I have 2 rai or orchard.  Very easy to take care of and get several tones of Mangos every year.

We have mostly mango trees of various varieties.  Also Lamyai. 

I can never be bothered growing vegetables or other smaller things..as they need too much care, watering, pest control, shading, etc.  The trees mostly take care of themselves.. and are very pest resistant...  never have to use pesticides. 

Sounds good have kk agricultural fare end of month so will be able to have a look at mango trees thete.  Thanks like grollies idea as well.

Thats true that vegetables or fast growing plants are a pain in the back to take care of...
But trees like mango/lynchee/rambutan.... takes years to grow before they even produce any fruit to sell...
but if you have the time to grow i would suggest grow whatever is the most expensive that your local market will buy and comsume.
You can also try fungi that grows pretty fast and are pretty expensive

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• 4 months later...
On 1/15/2017 at 10:32 AM, Crossy said:

I have a few geese and I grew a couple of banana trees in their area. They ate them. One day they decided they like the taste of banana tree and they knocked them down, one by one and ate them-nothing left, trunk and all. 

Just now, Canada said:

I have a few geese and I grew a couple of banana trees in their area. They ate them. One day they decided they like the taste of banana tree and they knocked them down, one by one and ate them-nothing left, trunk and all.

Oops.

Ours don't touch the bananas, they do nibble the young shoots of grass where I'm trying to get some green to grow, time for a fence.

I planted 150sqm of corn in April. Fenced off from the geese. The #@*% ducks flew in and ate 75% of new shoots. I wouldn't mind but this was corn to feed the chickens, ducks and geese.

:saai:

On 1/17/2017 at 9:54 AM, grollies said:

How about pineapple?

Or a nice orchard with a mixture of limes, oranges, mangotine, rambutan, etc. Lay down some course, slow-growing grass, nice winding footpath, couple of bench seats and.....relax.

Pineapple  prices  dropped  right down now almost half  what they were 2-3 months back BUT are  easy to take care  of

ducks are always the easy ones  to keep

/you don't need a fenced yard

tie a lump of pork fat on a fishing line

the first duck will eat it and shit it out

the next duck will pick it up  and shit it out 

you can have 20ducks on the line and tie them at the back door