Is Huay Kaew Residence Any Better?

finy

I know it's received a bad rap in the past, but I'm wondering if it's any better.

The only thing I'm really interested in is security. Are rooms there known to be regularly broken into?

CM doesn't have special security locker businesses like Bkk (might be one place past airport) and I'll be out 10+ hours per day. ( I can't carry passport/cards with me).

can I add, reason I ask is because last time I checked room there door seemed very flimsy. Open with shoulder barge style.

Edited by finy

24 minutes ago, ricklev said:

The attitude and conduct of management and staff was one of the most disturbing experiences I've had in many years in Thailand.  I suggest you don't ignore the "bad rap" it's received in the past.

Do you have examples, just for curiosities sake?

26 minutes ago, finy said:

Do you have examples, just for curiosities sake?

My comment does beg the question of what happened, but not really anything other than what others have reported.  Just thought I would offer you a suggestion.  Put whatever weight on it that you think is appropriate.  

Edited by ricklev

When a door lock breaks from being kicked in it is always a small break in the wood containing the strike plate (where the latch [emoji767] goes into).
A very easy way to strengthen a door lock is to have a long flat metal strip screwed into the frame with multiple screws centered on strike plate level. This spreads the load over a much larger area and a break needs to wreck the whole side of the door frame.
It's also true that a kick in the very middle of the door can make a door bend and the latch pop out of the strike plate without breaking the frame.
That needs a better door, but if you have a better door remember to do what I said above as the strike plate area is the weak point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

When a door lock breaks from being kicked in it is always a small break in the wood containing the strike plate (where the latch emoji767.png goes into).
A very easy way to strengthen a door lock is to have a long flat metal strip screwed into the frame with multiple screws centered on strike plate level. This spreads the load over a much larger area and a break needs to wreck the whole side of the door frame.
It's also true that a kick in the very middle of the door can make a door bend and the latch pop out of the strike plate without breaking the frame.
That needs a better door, but if you have a better door remember to do what I said above as the strike plate area is the weak point.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thank you, great advice and easy to set up.

i doubt someone would go to the hassle of demolishing a door just to get inside a cheap room, but based on experience I've no doubt opportunists would give it a good barge.

28 minutes ago, ricklev said:

My comment does beg the question of what happened, but not really anything other than what others have reported.  Just thought I would offer you a suggestion.  Put whatever weight on it that you think is appropriate.  

I just thought you meant problems with deposit refund, which I'm not too fussed about.

Have you tried Nakornping Condos, across the road (almost) from HK Residence?

I've never heard of any attempted break-ins, there are CCTV cameras on every floor and car park.

Some rooms have steel security doors.  Management are very helpful.  Good pool, well-stocked store at ground level, plus 2 small restaurants.

Worth asking, though most tenants are long term.

3 hours ago, masuk said:

Have you tried Nakornping Condos, across the road (almost) from HK Residence?

I've never heard of any attempted break-ins, there are CCTV cameras on every floor and car park.

Some rooms have steel security doors.  Management are very helpful.  Good pool, well-stocked store at ground level, plus 2 small restaurants.

Worth asking, though most tenants are long term.

The OP won't find rooms in the price range of the low-end rooms at Huay Kaew residence at Nakorn Ping Condo, which is perhaps one reason why there aren't reports of break-ins and other problems at NKP, but apparently there are at Huay Kaew.  

Once someone is willing to spend 8000 - 10,000 baht/month for a studio rental, it's fairly easy to locate buildings that have good security.