CIA director warns Trump to watch what he says, be careful on Russia

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

Helping to put them on the spot and change their behavior - Merkel in particular.

Perhaps not Trump's place to do that, and a bit on the hypocritical side considering how he reacts to criticism. There are better ways to make people change their ways other than insulting them in public, most of us learn that early on.

7 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

CIA, do shut up.
Trump was democratically elected. You was not.

Umm...of course the head of the CIA wasn't elected.  Same with many other positions in government.  As for Trump, his rating continue to plummet.  Below Bush's! LOL

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/17/politics/trump-administration-approval-inauguration/

Donald Trump will become president Friday with an approval rating of just 40%, according to a new CNN/ORC Poll, the lowest of any recent president and 44 points below that of President Barack Obama, the 44th president.

Following a tumultuous transition period, approval ratings for Trump's handling of the transition are more than 20 points below those for any of his three most recent predecessors. Obama took the oath in 2009 with an 84% approval rating, 67% approved of Clinton's transition as of late December 1992 and 61% approved of George W. Bush's transition just before he took office in January 2001.

On 1/16/2017 at 4:15 PM, jcsmith said:

He's also done more insulting, mocking, and vilification than anyone else has over those 18 months. 

Don't forget he started from a position of weakness, he needed to do something to be heard and shake up the people, Hillary certainly didn't change her tune much, pretty much the same flat couldn't care less tone she had over Benghazi.

1 hour ago, uptheos said:

Don't forget he started from a position of weakness, he needed to do something to be heard and shake up the people, Hillary certainly didn't change her tune much, pretty much the same flat couldn't care less tone she had over Benghazi.

But disrespect others, tell lies, and do ridiculous tweets is something he shouldn't have done.  Hard to respect a man like this.  Approval polls are proving this.  P.S. I'm no Hillary fan either.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

But disrespect others, tell lies, and do ridiculous tweets is something he shouldn't have done.  Hard to respect a man like this.  Approval polls are proving this.  P.S. I'm no Hillary fan either.

Hillary would have been 4 more years of Obama which I think a lot of couldn't bear the

thought of' I think her crookedness, piles of money into her foundation, her history cancels

out Trumps behavious

25 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Hillary would have been 4 more years of Obama which I think a lot of couldn't bear the

thought of' I think her crookedness, piles of money into her foundation, her history cancels

out Trumps behavious

Not so sure about that.  Trump has a pretty dodgy past also.  More and more being shown.  The position of president should be one of respect.  Not late night rants on Twitter. LOL

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Not so sure about that.  Trump has a pretty dodgy past also.  More and more being shown.  The position of president should be one of respect.  Not late night rants on Twitter. LOL

Then the dems shouls show respect and let the inauguration be a respectful time and those who should attend, should and there should be no protests if respect is the word. After its all over let the wars begin but to destroy a presidential inauguration is just about as disrespectful as it gets

2 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Then the dems shouls show respect and let the inauguration be a respectful time and those who should attend, should and there should be no protests if respect is the word. After its all over let the wars begin but to destroy a presidential inauguration is just about as disrespectful as it gets

I think you reap what you sow.  Trump has been extremely rude to anybody who even slightly disagrees with him.  Bashing them in public and saying some really rude things.  You earn respect, it's not given freely.  Trump needs to earn this respect.  It starts with him.

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

I think you reap what you sow.  Trump has been extremely rude to anybody who even slightly disagrees with him.  Bashing them in public and saying some really rude things.  You earn respect, it's not given freely.  Trump needs to earn this respect.  It starts with him.

I'm all for legitimate protests and freedom of speech, but cant they just let the inauguration be with incident and afterward do as they feel necessary.

Just now, uptheos said:

I'm all for legitimate protests and freedom of speech, but cant they just let the inauguration be with incident and afterward do as they feel necessary.

I'm all for freedom of speech also, but can't Trump show respect to others who disagree with him?  Or are a minority, handicapped, fat, etc, etc, etc.  We know the answer...apparently not.

Just now, craigt3365 said:

I'm all for freedom of speech also, but can't Trump show respect to others who disagree with him?  Or are a minority, handicapped, fat, etc, etc, etc.  We know the answer...apparently not.

Well I understand your feelings, I just hope that in the next 100 days good things happen.

19 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Perhaps if Trump could control his own freedom of speech and respect the inauguration, the nation can be at ease at least for a single week.

Just now, Srikcir said:

Perhaps if Trump could control his own freedom of speech and respect the inauguration, the nation can be at ease at least for a single week.

Trump got  where he is by being Donald Trump. The country seems to like his style or he wouldn't be President Donald J Trump, the 45th president of the USA.

29 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Ah, freedom of speech when it suits. Sounds very much like an often sounded accusation of liberals here.

1 minute ago, uptheos said:

The country seems to like his style

Latest Trump polls -  37-44% of Americans approving of how he is handling the presidential transition 

POTUS Popular vote - 46.1%

The country is getting tired of Trump's denirgating tweet tirades. He needs to step-up bringing the country together rather than continuing to divide it.

11 minutes ago, uptheos said:

Trump got  where he is by being Donald Trump. The country seems to like his style or he wouldn't be President Donald J Trump, the 45th president of the USA.

A majority did not vote for him.  And a majority who did, didn't have much respect for him.  Just hated Hillary more! LOL

3 hours ago, stander said:

It's pretty obvious that the CIA has been compromised and is working to overthrow a Trump Presidency - This guy can NOT be trusted

It's pretty obvious that some of Trump's supporters are willing to say anything, just to push back against any criticism leveled at Trump. And indeed, Trump can not be trusted.

Edited by Morch

3 hours ago, uptheos said:

Amazing. Trump does and says controversial things, and the standard reply to criticism is "he's not in office yet". Some on the opposition talk about possibly disrupting an inauguration that didn't even happen yet, and that's treated like an actual event.

5 hours ago, uptheos said:

3 hours ago, uptheos said:

out Trumps behavious

HRC lost the elections and is pretty much irrelevant now. And yet, Trump goes on with the same style evident during his campaign. Doubt this will change. After the primaries, after the election campaign, after the electoral college vote, after the inauguration....not holding my breath.

I’ve met dozens of WWII vets in the 60’s to the ‘90s who still hated the Japanese and the Germans.  I am in awe of their service, and listening to their stories, I don’t blame them a bit. 

But they’re not the guys I’d want dealing with the Germans and Japanese today.  There’s too much baggage. 

I get the sense that goes on a lot in the intelligence community with respect to the Russkies and baggage left over from the Cold War, (and will resonate for decades with Muslims).  Maybe it’s time for the guys with all that baggage to step out of the way and let a new group at least try to mend relationships with the Russkies- instead of constantly poking the bear (Lemay's characterization). 

Like we’ve mended our relationships with the English, the French (and Canadians), the Spanish, the Mexicans, Germans and the Japanese.

Edited by impulse

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

I’ve met dozens of WWII vets in the 60’s to the ‘90s who still hated the Japanese and the Germans.  I am in awe of their service, and listening to their stories, I don’t blame them a bit. 

But they’re not the guys I’d want dealing with the Germans and Japanese today.  There’s too much baggage. 

I get the sense that goes on a lot in the intelligence community with respect to the Russkies and baggage left over from the Cold War, (and will resonate for decades with Muslims).  Maybe it’s time for the guys with all that baggage to step out of the way and let a new group at least try to mend relationships with the Russkies- instead of constantly poking the bear (Lemay's characterization). 

Like we’ve mended our relationships with the English, the French (and Canadians), the Spanish, the Mexicans, Germans and the Japanese.

That's kinda ignoring the people on the other side, with their own baggage.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

While I'm sure what you are describing does exist, and is probably not uncommon among senior members of the intelligence community, it should be noted that after the fall of communism Russia and America were allies. I think the majority of the friction between the two countries at least primarily revolves around events in more recent years. 

12 hours ago, uptheos said:

Don't forget he started from a position of weakness, he needed to do something to be heard and shake up the people.

How does that justify making up lies about people, attacking anyone who questions him, or launching his career by creating distrust in the entire system? From random bits such as suggested that Hillary wasn't loyal to Bill, suggesting Obama wasn't an American citizen (and claiming he had it on good account from a reliable source) or that Marco Rubio was ineligible for similar reasons, that Ted Cruz's dad killed JFK, that thousands of Muslims cheered as the towers fell, of Mocking a handicapped reporter and continuing to deny it to this day, spreading false numbers repeatedly (such as the unemployment rate is 96 million Americans or that 81% of whites murdered are killed by blacks), that Hillary was covering up very serious health issues, etc.

None of those things are justified by starting from a position of weakness. And his hateful rhetoric existed long before he ever campaigned to be president. This is who he is.  

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

And ignoring the current aggressions. Many happening right now. 

I'm not advocating turning a blind eye, or any kind of appeasement.  Just suggesting that maybe we retire the people who feel the need to poke the bear out of a sense of retribution, or just out of habit.  

3 minutes ago, jcsmith said:

While I'm sure what you are describing does exist, and is probably not uncommon among senior members of the intelligence community, it should be noted that after the fall of communism Russia and America were allies.

It was a long time ago, but I recall thinking (during Reagan and Bush I) that we spent $$$ trillions of dollars to get the Soviet Union to collapse economically, then wouldn't offer any financial assistance at all while many of their people froze to death because their economy was in such tatters.  Reminded me of how France treated Germany after WWI, and how well that "surrender" worked out for the French in the long game.  Had they not repeatedly poked the Germans after Versailles, Hitler may have never come to power.

IMO, the Cold War didn't end -so we didn't win- any more than WWI ended.  It took Germany from 1918 to 1939 to re-arm, get their financial house in order and come back for round 2.  How long has it been since the collapse of the USSR?