CNX Airport, 2nd floor, is it dangerous for kids?

LarryBird

8 minutes ago, tx22cb said:

When I was a child, if I did something wrong (eg stand on furniture), someone in authority (parent, elder sibling, prefect, teacher) would correct me.

The point is that- whether you were taught not to- you might occasionally stand on the furniture- in the time it might take a parent to 'correct' you at CNX, you could have toppled over a railing that was lower than it should be for safety's sake (or had a row of chairs in a place that they really didn't belong).

Yes, it's a parent's job to supervise his/her child, but it's also the responsibility of a public space like an airport to adhere to a minimum safety standard as far as railing heights or chair placement are concerned.  I used the example of Central Festival earlier- a kid would have to expend serious effort to get over one of their railings (if they could manage it at all)- is it unreasonable to expect an airport (any airport) that sees a daily influx of children to be set up in the same way?

• Like 1

Well, Nancy, both are a good idea, but one requires an action that can be easily made by a parent- the other requires a change to be made by an entity over which parents (or anyone in the public) exercises little or any control- it that really a comparable example?  I choose to have my kid wear a helmet when she rides her bike (she doesn't ride on my motorcycle and likely never will)- if I could choose the railing heights (or any simple alteration that would keep a kid from possibly being hurt) I'd do so.

That doesn't mean wrapping to world in pillows, of course, but what if there were no railings at all and there was nothing but a drop-off?  That would of course be ridiculous- if there is going to be some sort of a barrier at all, why can't it be of a more proper height?

Whatever- I'm done with it as I realize nothing will ever be done about it, but the 'it's the parent's responsibility' argument in this particular case falls a bit short (just like the railings at CNX).

Edited by flare
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Maybe all the effort it would take to get "them" to change the way the railings are set up at CNX would be better spent convincing parents to put helmets on themselves and their kids when riding motorbikes.

True, but not just that..i think an early post by Bill97, below sums  it up exactly.

I'm wondering tho", did this come about all because one of the larry bird fledglings actually near suffer the consequences on being unsupervised at the said area of CNX...seems to be very uptight about the situation, going by his responses..a bit red faced after a near fall..i do know how many "new age parents " think..just my thoughts..

Bill97

•  
  • Bill97
  • Advanced Members
  • 1,538 posts
  •  

Winnie got it with post #2. How did the OP wake up and find this one issue worthy of mention when a day out and about encounters dozens if not hundreds?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 9:07 AM, NancyL said:

Maybe all the effort it would take to get "them" to change the way the railings are set up at CNX would be better spent convincing parents to put helmets on themselves and their kids when riding motorbikes.

Not sure how that's even remotely relevant;  many people here have kids that they are responsible for and want to keep alive if at all possible.  What other people who have both kids and motorbikes might do or not do is completely irrelevant to do that.

Yes motorbikes are dangerous so it's about the easiest parenting decision ever to never go near the things and just buy the biggest SUV you can find.  I'm glad I did.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
As I said, there are other places.  You can take the little darlings to the Burger King or McD's, for example.

I would rather risk 'the little darlings', (as you most eloquently put it), falling backwards of a balcony than subjecting them to that poor excuse for 'food'. A brand that should have stayed in the country from whence it came.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1