Certified Documents Originating From The Uk

Where possible I will enclose original documents with the Visa application and where any documents are Thai / originate in Thailand I will get them translated and certified in Thailand as neccesary. and a spare set.

But, there may well be original UK origin documents which I do not want to send with the Visa application (in case they get lost and are needed for another Visa application, or for other purposes).

In addition I was thinking of getting a complete set of the documents that originate from the UK certified, so that I could use these if ever needed (and the originals had gone missing).

My question is: what sort of certification would the UK Embassy (the new Visa folks) accept for copy documents?

I ask cos' I can get a Bank (not a UK high street Bank, but a major European / international AA rated and listed Bank - ie not a Cayman name plate Bank!) to certify documents for free (IMO free is always good!), but would the Embassy in fact need them to be Notarised? and if so would they also need the Notary's certification to be authenticated? (by use of the "La Haye Apostille", is what we normally do here in Jersey for documents being used outside the UK / internationally - but it is of course an additional cost).

Also, on the "suitable" accomadation front, how long does the lease need to be for at a minimum, 3 / 6 / 12 months? I ask cos' I am going to have to change accomadation as I am living with family at the moment, cos' it is as cheap as chips! - but no room at the Inn for the Missus! Also for Visa purposes would I "get away with" leasing a studio apartment (a posh word for bedsit??!!) instead of a 1 bedroom flat? (Yes, I am a "tightwad"!!.........but mainly I do not want to commit to anything long term in case it is not suitable / I decide to buy somewhere / she doesn't like the wallpaper??!!).

My question is: what sort of certification would the UK Embassy (the new Visa folks) accept for copy documents?
Standard practise is to have a solicitor or similar certify copies, but any 'suitable' person would do, so a bank should be fine. Make sure that they place some sort of official stamp on the copies to show you didn't get a mate down the pub to do it!
I ask cos' I am going to have to change accommodation as I am living with family at the moment, cos' it is as cheap as chips! - but no room at the Inn for the Missus!
Are you sure? All you need is one room. From Chapter 9 – The maintenance and accommodation requirements
9.9 - Determining whether the couple legally own or exclusively occupy the accommodation.

.......If the accommodation is not owned by the couple (or one of them), the Rules require that there be adequate accommodation which is for their exclusive use. This need not be as elaborate as a self-contained flat. It is acceptable for a couple to live in an existing household, e.g. that of a parent, uncle, aunt, sibling or friend, as long as they have at least a bedroom for their exclusive use.

If doing this, then a letter from your folks inviting you and her to live with them, a brief description of the property to show that there is room and either a mortgage statement, or similar, to show that they own or if they rent a letter from the landlord granting permission for her to live there with you.

However, if you or she have kids that will be living with you then one room wont be enough.

If the couple have children with them there must be additional adequate accommodation for them (section below on overcrowding gives a formula for maximum numbers of persons allowed).
If you do need/want to rent somewhere then a studio will be fine (unless there will be kids living with you) and a standard 6 month tenancy should be enough; but make sure you have written agreement from your landlord that she can live there. Edited by GU22

Cheers for that GU22.

Just fer info, she's got no kids :D (yes, really folks!) "Wimins problems" :o and now old age! (I probably shouldn't be happy about this??.............)

"no room at the inn" covers a bit more than just room size! First comment from aged parent on hearing the "good news" was the comment "you stupid [sod]"..........like he can talk!

Studio for 6 months it is then. :D

Edited by Scouse for language content. I didn't know you speak Jèrriais.