Key witnesses no-show at hearing for teacher's retrial

snoop1130

Key witnesses no-show at hearing for teacher's retrial

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

jomsup-696x453.jpg

Jomsup Saenmuangkot outside the provincial court building Monday in Nakhon Phanom province.

NAKHON PHANOM — Key witnesses failed to appear in court Monday at a hearing for a woman seeking to overturn her conviction for a crime she says she didn’t commit.

Neither the man who allegedly has confessed to the fatal hit-and-run for which Jomsup Saenmuangkot went to prison nor another witness appeared at the Nakhon Phanom Provincial Court, as police dispute she was wrongfully convicted.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/courts/2017/01/17/key-witnesses-no-show-hearing-teachers-retrial/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-17

instead of getting someone else to say they did the hit and run, why cant she get friends and neighbours to confirm she was at home in another district, seems that would be a lot easier to do if it were true........

Police claim retrial of Mrs Jomsap’s case suspicious

1701001.jpg

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Police are up in arms to defend their reputation against what they claimed to be a plot by a group of about six people to exploit Mrs Jomsap Saengmuangkote’s hit-and-run case to discredit the police.

Pol Gen Panya Mamen, the police inspector-general, who was assigned to look into the case by the police commissioner-general, Pol Gen Chakthip Chaichinda, told the media on Tuesday that, at this stage, he was not sure whether Mrs Jomsap, a former teacher who claimed she was wrongfully charged, was involved in the plot or not.

Asked what was Mrs Jomsap’s motive to demand a retrial of her case, Pol Gen Panya said he didn’t want to accuse the former teacher as there are no evidences yet against her. But he alleged that Mr Sub Wapee, the man who recently emerged from nowhere and claimed he was the real hit-and-run driver, was a “fake”.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/police-claim-retrial-mrs-jomsaps-case-suspicious/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-18

Somewhat confused here! If you were a hit and run driver, got convicted and did your time, why would you even think about asking for a retrial claiming to be innocent?  No amount of possible compensation would be worth the risk of loss of face here or maybe another prosecution for defamation etc.

13 hours ago, greenchair said:

Her mistake was to say she will seek compensation. 

I know. I made the same mistake. 

I believe her 100 percent. 

Unfortunately the witnesses will be far far away now. I don't understand why the judge didn't order a warrant for them. 

We call it a subpoena in my country and to ignore one would be contempt of court, a gaol sentence possible.

I feel pretty safe living in Thailand (not so much on the roads). I'm not naive, but I know that if you use your smarts, the odds are better for you. I also know that anything can happen at anytime and I don't always have control over it. 

Case in point; I was drinking with some foreign friends at their house. The Thai neighbour came over and was nice and polite at first. I could then sense he was getting hostile. A big group of his friends came over, and I was thinking this is going to turn ugly. I had no idea why. Fortunately, my friend speaks Thai very well and defused the situation. The aggro guy's missus had taking a shining to my friend. My friend explained that he is married and has never even spoken to this guy's missus. It was all over nothing. We all knew to keep our cool, but someone could have easily told the aggro guy to F off. Then all hell would have broken loose. 

Anywho, my point is that these things can happen. Sad thing is that being beaten to a pulp of even death isn't the scariest thing for me. The scariest thing is the justice my family most likely wouldn't receive here. I have little to no faith in the police or the courts here. I mean using logic and reason - why would you? 

Remember my post of yesterday?
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/963996-police-threaten-to-sue-convicted-school-teacher-if-it-was-proven-she-was-in-the-wrong/?page=3#comment-11530485

How long before the real hit-and-runner will:
1. Retract his confession.
2. Get kill'd in an accident.
3. Disappear.

Place your bets now.

There has been much publicity about numerous cases in which the police have come under criticism. Failing to do their job properly, not completing cases so the prosecutors can proceed, arresting wrong people, seemingly failing to arrest some people, etc etc etc.

At some point there was bound to be a backlash. Now they will use the law, like defamation laws, and some of their, shall we say more covert operational skills, to try and stop this happening.

Edited by Baerboxer

16 hours ago, thai3 said:

Me no understand, how can they have a retrial when they know somebody else did it in another province? Surely witnesses have to turn up, even here?

Not if they have been warned about their health if they do so

8 hours ago, WhizBang said:

As usual, the actions of the RTP are suspect.   How much longer must this country and it's people suffer this criminal corrupt organization?

If you think things will ever change you are either the eternal optimist or have brain disorder !

10 hours ago, newatthis said:

Somewhat confused here! If you were a hit and run driver, got convicted and did your time, why would you even think about asking for a retrial claiming to be innocent?  No amount of possible compensation would be worth the risk of loss of face here or maybe another prosecution for defamation etc.

Because you wouldnt. However if you were falsely convicted and now free, no reasonable person would just accept what occurred and not seek justice.  She has to overcome the old boys club of the RTP, the fabrications, the desire to hide the truth and most of all are those not willing to admit incompetence or the deliberate intention to pervert justice.

If KT is the example, many layers of the justice system will have the same cause.

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Thank God their still at the checkers level. Once the reach the chess level we are all in trouble. 

Checkers, easy man - that's takes some intelligence -  more like bottle tops and stones.

On 18/1/2017 at 9:03 AM, maoro2013 said:

We call it a subpoena in my country and to ignore one would be contempt of court, a gaol sentence possible.

Subpoena. That's the word I was looking for. 

But when they said the truck has been scrapped, including its papers. I had to wonder, who's telling porkies?