Woman sues Trump in New York for defamation over sexual assault denial

webfact

Woman sues Trump in New York for defamation over sexual assault denial

By Alex Dobuzinskis and Dana Feldman

REUTERS

r8a.jpg

Summer Zervos listens as her attorney Gloria Allred speaks during a news conference announcing the filing of a lawsuit against President-elect Donald Trump in Los Angeles, California, U.S., January 17, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Blake

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - One of about a dozen women who previously accused President-elect Donald Trump of making unwanted sexual advances filed a lawsuit against him in New York on Tuesday, alleging he had made false and defamatory statements about her in rejecting the accusation, causing her emotional and economic harm.

The lawsuit filed by Summer Zervos, a one-time contestant on Trump's reality television show "The Apprentice," is focused on a stream of denials Trump aimed at her and other women accusers last October, just weeks before the Nov. 8 presidential election, when Zervos and others came forward to accuse the then-candidate of making unwanted sexual advances.

A representative for Trump did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment on the lawsuit.

At the time the women made their accusations, Trump, a Republican, who went on to win the election and who takes office on Friday, adamantly denied all the accusations in posts on Twitter, statements, interviews and comments at rallies. He suggested at one rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Oct. 14 that the accusers were fabricating their stories for publicity or to damage his campaign.

With regard to Zervos specifically, Trump told the rally in Charlotte just hours after she made her allegations that it was "not hard to find a small handful of people willing to make false smears for personal fame, who knows maybe for financial reasons, political purposes,” according to the lawsuit.

"Mr. Trump's false, defamatory statements about Ms. Zervos – that, among other things, she made up her descriptions of Mr. Trump's misconduct as a hoax, and that she is creating a 'phony' story just so that she can be famous – have been deeply detrimental to Ms. Zervos's reputation, honour and dignity,” the lawsuit stated.

At a news conference in Los Angeles announcing the lawsuit on Tuesday, Zervos said she wanted Trump to apologise.

"Since Mr. Trump has not issued a retraction as I requested, he has therefore left me with no alternative other than to sue him in order to vindicate my reputation," Zervos said.

Her lawsuit said she was seeking "all possible remedies," including the apology and retraction, from Trump.

Zervos' attorney, Gloria Allred, a celebrity lawyer who also represents a number of women who have accused comedian Bill Cosby of sexual misconduct, raised the possibility at the news conference that Trump might be required to give a deposition in the case.

The lawsuit said Trump kissed Zervos without her consent at his office in New York in December 2007 and later at a hotel in Beverly Hills, California, kissed her, touched her breast and tried to get her to lie on a bed during a meeting about a possible job.

She and the other women came forward after a video from 2005 surfaced showing Trump boasting of making unwanted advances toward women including grabbing women by the genitals – a video that he later apologised for but said was simply “locker room talk” and was not his actual behaviour.

(Reporting by Dana Feldman and Alex Dobuzinskis; Writing by Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-18

11 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

So why is she not going after him for the sex offence only going for defamation ? 

because the defamation is much easier to prove. Unless the sexual assault took place in public it is her word versus his. Besides, even with the defamation Trump will either have to settle or give evidence, either of which is likely to be damning.

Just now, Andaman Al said:

Maybe, but Cosby still seems to be in deep poop for things going back a long time.

The length of time varies from state to state....my recollection for personal injury matters (which would include the sexual assault) in NY is three years, but it has bee a long time since I researched....

49 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Is she being bankrolled by Trump haters? such actions are very expensive

Does not matter if she is, if that is the only way to get justice then that is the route she has to follow.

when these complaints were first aired there were comments about no one had taken legal action well now they have and is this the first of many?

3 hours ago, BuaBS said:

She wants her 15 minutes of fame and a big check from the democrats .

If you would read a little more it actually says she was after a retraction and an apology. Neither were forthcoming. Trump sues people in a heartbeat, I hope he is on the receiving end of so much more.

Whatever happened to the con-man's threat to sue all his accusers?

Oh, I forgot, it was just more of his BS bluster.

Just like everything else that spews from his mouth.

Trump says he'll sue sexual misconduct accusers

"Every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign," Trump said during remarks in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

"All of these liars will be sued after the election is over."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/22/politics/trump-says-hell-sue-sexual-misconduct-accusers/

The election has been over for more than two months.

C'mon big mouth step up.

Naa...

21 hours ago, BuaBS said:

She wants her 15 minutes of fame and a big check from the democrats .

I don't think she cares where the big check comes from, democrats, Trump, Soros, Access Hollywood,, National Inquirer, etc...

Extra thought:  who knew who she was last week ? No damage to her reputation until she filed the lawsuit. It is now gonna be an hour show on Law & Order.

Edited by IAMHERE
extra thought