Angkor Guides cry foreigner foul

geovalin

An increasing number of foreign tour guides travelling to Angkor Wat with groups from abroad are costing Cambodian guides jobs and violating the law, a group of Siem Reap-based guides complained to the Ministry of Tourism yesterday.

According to a 2009 sub-decree, all package tours arriving from other countries must hire Cambodian guides trained by the ministry.

Khiev Thy, president of Angkor Tour Guide Assn, which represents more than 1,000 guides, said a growing number of Russian, Chinese and Vietnamese guides ignored this decree.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/guides-cry-foreigner-foul

phnom_penh_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phenom Pen Post 18/01

4 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

Because the Thai guides do not speak Russian, chinese, or Vietnamese. 

My best guess.

I am afraid your reflexive Thai-bashing response has fallen flat here. Please re-read and have another go.

46 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

My best guess.

Back to school for you- or maybe geography is not your strongest point. This must win the best post on TV this year. 

46 minutes ago, Junkyarddog said:

2 hours ago, Junkyarddog said:

My best guess.

Your best guess just doesn´t add up. As usual I might add.
However, let me explain. This is an issue with Ankor Wat, which is in Cambodia. Just where does your Thai guides fit in?
Not so happy with Thai people I presume. You can at least have the respect to show that in the right places.

I hired a Cambodian guide there two years ago. Spoke four languages fluently in addition to his native Khmer.

Heck, our tourism students in my Thai university don't even take a single English language class in four years of training. And it shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 2017/1/19 at 6:06 AM, Fookhaht said:

I hired a Cambodian guide there two years ago. Spoke four languages fluently in addition to his native Khmer.

Heck, our tourism students in my Thai university don't even take a single English language class in four years of training. And it shows.

I doubt Cambodian guide really speaks so many languages. They may speak better english than thais I supposed plus one additional foreign language .

I doubt Cambodian guide really speaks so many languages. They may speak better english than thais I supposed plus one additional foreign language .

You underestimate the Cambodians.

I am fluent in three of the four languages he could speak, and am an ear-witness. The fluency in the fourth language was attested to by one of the foreigners in our group.

This guide is regularly assigned by the government to show foreign dignitaries the wonders of Cambodia. In addition, he is Angela Jolie's favorite and regular guide when she often visits the kingdom.

Sad that you can't believe a Cambodian could rise to such a proficient level. A touch of racism taints your post, I believe.

16 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

You underestimate the Cambodians.

I am fluent in three of the four languages he could speak, and am an ear-witness. The fluency in the fourth language was attested to by one of the foreigners in our group.

This guide is regularly assigned by the government to show foreign dignitaries the wonders of Cambodia. In addition, he is Angela Jolie's favorite and regular guide when she often visits the kingdom.

Sad that you can't believe a Cambodian could rise to such a proficient level. A touch of racism taints your post, I believe.

It's not racism when I said he couldn't possibly speak fluently in so many languages. I am a tour guide myself and I speak English, Japanese, Thai and French. It took me more than 20 years to accomplish all those languages above. I had to work and at the same time learn the language, so I don't really have a lot of free time to learn it that is why it took so long to achieve certain level of proficiency to be able to conduct a tour.

Of course I know people who learn languages very quickly and became good at it but very few could do that. I experienced the difficulties that's why when people tell me they learn language in 6 months or a year I will have to take it with a grain of salt.

So what I heard is Cambodians are better at learning foreign languages than Thais.

2 hours ago, madusa said:

It's not racism when I said he couldn't possibly speak fluently in so many languages. I am a tour guide myself and I speak English, Japanese, Thai and French. It took me more than 20 years to accomplish all those languages above. I had to work and at the same time learn the language, so I don't really have a lot of free time to learn it that is why it took so long to achieve certain level of proficiency to be able to conduct a tour.

Of course I know people who learn languages very quickly and became good at it but very few could do that. I experienced the difficulties that's why when people tell me they learn language in 6 months or a year I will have to take it with a grain of salt.

So what I heard is Cambodians are better at learning foreign languages than Thais.

Ah, got it.  It was megalomania, not racism.   My apologies.