Using Natwest Switch Card In Thailand

camerata

I've got a Natwest Reserve Cash Card and a Service 100 Card. Both Chip and Pin. Not sure if these are 'switch' or not, but both work here in LOS. Both use cirrus and the Reserve Cash card uses Solo and Maestro as well.

I'm assuming you have tried with the one you've got, so if you have one of the cards I've mentioned, maybe transfer the money to those accounts and give it another shot.

Like crossy says pretty much every ATM in bangers will take your card as long as it has a cirrus or maestro logo on it. If your worried use a machine inside the bank or an ATM attached to a bank that is actually open, so if by Miss chance it does swallow your card you wont be left stranded.

All the years i have been travelling in and around Thailand, i have never once had a problem with my natwest switch, the only reason i don't use it now is because i have a nationwide flex account :o

One thing to note!

You MAY have to get your card authorised for use outside the UK before it will function, contact your bank :o

I hope that isn't the case. The card isn't mine. It belongs to a tourist who had all his stuff ripped off except his passport and wallet with the Switch card. I doubt he expected to use the Switch card in Thailand.

Anyone know of an ATM in the Sukhumvit area that accepts Maestro? The link that was posted above doesn't work when I click on Thailand.

Switch and Maestro were merged to form Cirrus and in theory any of the three cards can be used in a machine with the Cirrus logo provided you have the pin number. I use my Cirrus card regularly in ATMs here in KL and have also used it in Pattaya and Ha Noi without ever advising my bank. However it is a good idea, as advised, to try it out in banking hours and preferrably at a machine inside the bank.

Good luck, hope all is OK.

One thing to note!

You MAY have to get your card authorised for use outside the UK before it will function, contact your bank :o

I hope that isn't the case. The card isn't mine. It belongs to a tourist who had all his stuff ripped off except his passport and wallet with the Switch card. I doubt he expected to use the Switch card in Thailand.

Anyone know of an ATM in the Sukhumvit area that accepts Maestro? The link that was posted above doesn't work when I click on Thailand.

Why is that a problem? It's clear you're trying to help this person. Can you let him use your cell phone to call overseas? You usually have to get authorisation from the bank to use your card overseas.

On most cards there is a number to call for all card-related questions and inquiries. If not, then the number should be available on the bank's website. When I knew that I would be in Thailand for awhile, I called the number on my ATM card (not NatWest) from Thailand and my bank put an authorisation note on my account. The bank can probably also tell you which ATMs will work with his card.

Edited by DFCarlson

One thing to note!

Do you meant that you ripped it off? :D

Virtually any ATM will accept that card.

Why is that a problem? It's clear you're trying to help this person. Can you let him use your cell phone to call overseas? You usually have to get authorisation from the bank to use your card overseas.

I haven't seen him in person yet. He got my number from a mutual friend and called me at midnight. He said he'd tried two ATMs without success, but apparently neither had the Maestro logo displayed.