Is BKK Boring Without Street Vendors?

eldragon

4 minutes ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

Tourists, and as tourism is one of Thailands biggest export it matters quite considerably!

Europe also has tuktuks and they are cheaper than the ones in BKK.

I maybe see 1 tuktuk a week in BKK and 10000 taxi's a day.

Only backpackers use tuktuk's and they are not the tourists thailand wants.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I just want the street food. I welcome the change more or less. If you're living in some area crowded with food carts and you dont like it, move. Hawkers are VERY much Asian culture.

If you want home, go there.

God bless the poor food hawker who braves the heat and shit in the street. Preps his food, buys ice and keeps it all clean. Serves it up for a pittance even in Thailand. They can't charge more bc some other poor person would come in and undercut them a few baht. They keep it all clean and I'm never, ever sick. Even eating raw beef salad and raw minced beef with the wife. Bless them all.

8 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Not even bothered to hit that link. Seriously? That's the best you've got? Yes, Indeed you eat no Thai. Confirmed. Let's now rationalize it. The British with all their alcohol issues lecturing the world on what? Fatty pork, msg and salt? Cooked in palm oil? Revelation! Most likely you smoke as well.

The best I've got?? What more do you need to know beyond the fact that much of the food you're feeling so clever about eating is cooked in fat that's been used 10 or 15 times over and loaded up with MSG and heavily refined sugar.

As for my culinary tastes, I eat Thai food every single day

Grilled catfish, grilled chicken, grilled pork, occasionally, chicken noodle soup

I also cook my own meals at home in a kitchen.

I don't suppose you have one of those in that room you inhabit far from all the "losers" in Sukhumvit, do you?

I really like street vendors.It gives BKK an Asian feeling you cannot get other places.I love the congestion and hustle.   It gave BKK a pulse like none other.I still remember my first time in BKK came in at midnight and was over whelmed by a lively vibrant city of street life that i never experienced before any where in the world. I want to  be able to see that for ever.  If I wanted sterile open spaces I would not have came here.

Do you live smack in the middle of it? Believe me when I say having to do a congo line dance just to get from asoke to Nana or reverse is a painful daily experience

I'm betting that those most upset DO NOT live in lower Sukhumvit.. Sure it's fun when you're down from nakon nowhere for the weekend,!

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

Europe also has tuktuks and they are cheaper than the ones in BKK.

I maybe see 1 tuktuk a week in BKK and 10000 taxi's a day.

Only backpackers use tuktuk's and they are not the tourists thailand wants.

How wrong could you possibly be!!!!? Tourists like to try the local charactaristics, no matter what spending bracket they're in. The reason most people travel to far flung places is to experience something different, not the same old homogenised crap they used to back home. I think you're confusing tourists with expats!

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Do you live smack in the middle of it? Believe me when I say having to do a congo line dance just to get from asoke to Nana or reverse is a painful daily experience

I'm betting that those most upset DO NOT live in lower Sukhumvit.. Sure it's fun when you're down from nakon nowhere for the weekend,!

Surely the street vendors came before your pompous know all self ? ....... 

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Well I cannot arque with the truth.I do like in the rural area. I do not know what it would be like to live with it everyday.

2 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

The best I've got?? What more do you need to know beyond the fact that much of the food you're feeling so clever about eating is cooked in fat that's been used 10 or 15 times over and loaded up with MSG and heavily refined sugar.

As for my culinary tastes, I eat Thai food every single day

Grilled catfish, grilled chicken, grilled pork, occasionally, chicken noodle soup

I also cook my own meals at home in a kitchen.

I don't suppose you have one of those in that room you inhabit far from all the "losers" in Sukhumvit, do you?

Do I get to berate you for eating grilled and all the carcinogenic nonsense that implies?

Kitchen, of course you do. 95% percent of your meals are cooked there. No, we have no use for a condo at the moment. Our food needs are met easily and more cheaply than cooking at home on the BTS line, convenient  to  Soi 3-23.

Sorry to disappoint but the Thai kitchen is in the street.

7 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Honestly, I just want the street food. I welcome the change more or less. If you're living in some area crowded with food carts and you dont like it, move. Hawkers are VERY much Asian culture.

If you want home, go there.

God bless the poor food hawker who braves the heat and shit in the street. Preps his food, buys ice and keeps it all clean. Serves it up for a pittance even in Thailand. They can't charge more bc some other poor person would come in and undercut them a few baht. They keep it all clean and I'm never, ever sick. Even eating raw beef salad and raw minced beef with the wife. Bless them all.

Penang Georgetown is the capital of streetfood in Asia...not BKK.

Nothing wrong with hawkers unless there are far too manyof them and they start selling crap/blocking walkways. That's the case in Sukhumvit but also along the mainroads where they cause accidents by cars who stop for them.

I ate minced meat once at a friends house...i noticed strange pieces of meat in it, looked like dogfood..it was ground longues from a pig, so it was dogfood....

enjoy your meals!

Oh we also have a different definition about what's "clean". Boy do those vendors make the sidewalk filthy...and smelly.

Surely the street vendors came before your pompous know all self ? ....... 

Vendors gone! The Thais have spoken.. Oh yeah remember the Thais?
Only the majority of desperate poor farang will miss them.
But all is not lost, still plenty of bars putting up balloons for you sad desperate lot [emoji30]

9 minutes ago, ThaiKneeTim said:

How wrong could you possibly be!!!!? Tourists like to try the local charactaristics, no matter what spending bracket they're in. The reason most people travel to far flung places is to experience something different, not the same old homogenised crap they used to back home. I think you're confusing tourists with expats!

How true eh? The tourists will at least give it a go. The Sukumvhit expat, not so much.

Sunday carvery much? lol

Edited by ozmeldo

2 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

Do I get to berate you for eating grilled and all the carcinogenic nonsense that implies?

Kitchen, of course you do. 95% percent of your meals are cooked there. No, we have no use for a condo at the moment. Our food needs are met easily and more cheaply than cooking at home on the BTS line, convenient  to  Soi 3-23.

Sorry to disappoint but the Thai kitchen is in the street.

Carcinogenic nonsense??

So, in your view, it's better to eat food fried in oil that may very well be a month old?

No use for a condo?

You mean no money for a condo, right?

The Thai kitchen you're talking about shares the street with the vermin running around the drains.

Lovely, just lovely

7 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Vendors gone! The Thais have spoken.. Oh yeah remember the Thais?
Only the majority of desperate poor farang will miss them.
But all is not lost, still plenty of bars putting up balloons for you sad desperate lot emoji30.png

You mean the undemocratic government has spoken ? Honestly why didn't you stay in your home country if life was so perfect ? You live off of air b&b from tourists who come to thailand to taste street life . No one comes to thailand for the malls as every country in the world has their own sterile lifeless version . Go home you wouldn't be missed one bit . as someone who neither drinks or hangs out with nobodies like your dear self I'll gladly pop your balloon and give you a kick up the arse on the way out .

Edited by chrisandsu

I used to live in the HK of the late seventies and early eighties but as it became just another shopping mall I lost interest.  I gave up shortly after they cleaned the markets out at Tsim Tsa Sui and the Ladder streets out on The Island.  In the nineties I got into Thailand.  Loved BKK and Chiang Mai.  Now BKK is slowly becoming a less orderly but equally as boring as Singapore.  I used to love the smell of the heat and buzz the city had.  Off to Saigon next month.  I know it will be tame compared with BKK, but it is opening up fast, and not yet covered with western shopping malls. After that I'm trying some of the big Indonesian towns.  Got to get that feeling that I'm experiencing something exotic again.

Just now, YeahSiam said:

Carcinogenic nonsense??

So, in your view, it's better to eat food fried in oil that may very well be a month old?

No use for a condo?

You mean no money for a condo, right?

The Thai kitchen you're talking about shares the street with the vermin running around the drains.

Lovely, just lovely

No, just pointing out the silly irony of your silly post.

I'd bet b1000 I've twice your net worth, bare minimum. By 65 I'll double that. But I did spend 2003-2015 not working and just kicking it in Asia. That did dig in to the nest egg a bit.

Condos drop 25%, I'll think about it. Until then, I'll stay in the market and US property. Thanks.

Just now, Mousehound said:

I used to live in the HK of the late seventies and early eighties but as it became just another shopping mall I lost interest.  I gave up shortly after they cleaned the markets out at Tsim Tsa Sui and the Ladder streets out on The Island.  In the nineties I got into Thailand.  Loved BKK and Chiang Mai.  Now BKK is slowly becoming a less orderly but equally as boring as Singapore.  I used to love the smell of the heat and buzz the city had.  Off to Saigon next month.  I know it will be tame compared with BKK, but it is opening up fast, and not yet covered with western shopping malls. After that I'm trying some of the big Indonesian towns.  Got to get that feeling that I'm experiencing something exotic again.

Hong Kong was awesome.

I loved landing in the old airport in a storm on Cathay...

4 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

You mean the undemocratic government has spoken ? Honestly why didn't you stay in your home country if life was so perfect ? You live off of air b&b from tourists who come to thailand to taste street life . No one comes to thailand for the malls as every country in the world has their own sterile lifeless version . Go home you wouldn't be missed one bit . 

What's that for nonsense matey?

So you came here to live off the streetvendors and eat their dogfood because it's all you can afford?

Thailand wants quality tourists mate...and people who only block the road for the working generation are being removed.....

You mean the undemocratic government has spoken ? Honestly why didn't you stay in your home country if life was so perfect ? You live off of air b&b from tourists who come to thailand to taste street life . No one comes to thailand for the malls as every country in the world has their own sterile lifeless version . Go home you wouldn't be missed one . 

Don't be silly I agree with the Thais on ridding this land stealing non tax paying vermin.

How would you like it if you opened a bar only to have some mungrels stick their street bar in front of it?

Why should I leave? Sounds like you're the one in denial.

Are you seriously suggesting the current government is not thai? How idiotic!

1 minute ago, fruitman said:

What's that for nonsense matey?

So you came here to live off the streetvendors and eat their dogfood because it's all you can afford?

Thailand wants quality tourists mate...and people who only block the road for the working generation are being removed.....

I'm not your mate . Neither am I a tourist or hang out with people that go to the pub eating 300 baht fry ups thinking I have made it in life . 

4 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Don't be silly I agree with the Thais on ridding this land stealing non tax paying vermin.

How would you like it if you opened a bar only to have some mungrels stick their street bar in front of it?

Why should I leave? Sounds like you're the one in denial.

Are you seriously suggesting the current government is not thai? How idiotic!

Where did you see the link between undemocratic government and not being Thai ? Did you mention the word idiotic ? 

Just now, chrisandsu said:

I'm not your mate . Neither am I a tourist or hang out with people that go to the pub eating 300 baht fry ups thinking I have made it in life . 

I don't know nor care who you are, and if others love to eat 300 baht fryups than they should do so.

For 300 baht you can't even buy a macmeal in my homecountry.

Yesterday my wife went to Siam to a seminar...she had to pack her high heels in her purse because of the bad pavement...(she went by skytrain cause can't park/go there by car). She even didn't want to wear her good dresses cause the streetvendors might ruin it on the way...mind you, she sells for billions of baht every year.

Thai people like her can easy afford to eat in restaurants, also buy expensive clothes/shoes.

They laugh about farang running to foodcourts to eat for 40 baht...if that's the only reason they are here well....maybe they are better off in a retirementhouse back home??

15 minutes ago, ozmeldo said:

No, just pointing out the silly irony of your silly post.

I'd bet b1000 I've twice your net worth, bare minimum. By 65 I'll double that. But I did spend 2003-2015 not working and just kicking it in Asia. That did dig in to the nest egg a bit.

Condos drop 25%, I'll think about it. Until then, I'll stay in the market and US property. Thanks.

A whole 1000 baht??

You big shot, you

4 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Where did you see the link between undemocratic government and not being Thai ? Did you mention the word idiotic ? 

You're here so long and you don't even know why we have this government? We're not allowed to talk about that subject cause it will be removed and banned.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I don't know nor care who you are, and if others love to eat 300 baht fryups than they should do so.

For 300 baht you can't even buy a macmeal in my homecountry.

Yesterday my wife went to Siam to a seminar...she had to pack her high heels in her purse because of the bad pavement...(she went by skytrain cause can't park/go there by car). She even didn't want to wear her good dresses cause the streetvendors might ruin it on the way...mind you, she sells for billions of baht every year.

Thai people like her can easy afford to eat in restaurants, also buy expensive clothes/shoes.

They laugh about farang running to foodcourts to eat for 40 baht...if that's the only reason they are here well....maybe they are better off in a retirementhouse back home??

Maybe your right but maybe your wife doesn't like to see reminders of her previous life as a soi walker . I heard that brings back the ptsd . Now she gets to bring back 1000 baht sausages .... living the dream baby 

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

You're here so long and you don't even know why we have this government? We're not allowed to talk about that subject cause it will be removed and banned.

Undemocratic at its finest . You have been here so long you didn't realise it's the monarchy that shouldn't be talked about and not the undemocratic government . You couldn't make up your stupidity . 

You brought it up
What has politics got to do with it. Use your brain. The regime got rid of them.. So corruption is not an issue

Or what exactly are you trying to say, spit it out man

Let's visit that word idiotic shall we?

5 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Maybe your right but maybe your wife doesn't like to see reminders of her previous life as a soi walker . I heard that brings back the ptsd . Now she gets to bring back 1000 baht sausages .... living the dream baby 

Are you assuming and posting here that my wife is a soi walker???? Matey, Pally you should say that in my face.........eat some more dogfood dude, it suits you.

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

You brought it up
What has politics got to do with it. Use your brain. The regime got rid of them.. So corruption is not an issue

Or what exactly are you trying to say, spit it out man

Let's visit that word idiotic shall we?

You obviously have a short memory . You said the Thais had spoken . You also mentioned non tax paying thives . Does that include air b&b owners ? Let's revisit idiotic again shall we ? 

Just now, fruitman said:

Are you assuming and posting here that my wife is a soi walker???? Matey, Pally you should say that in my face.........eat some more dogfood dude, it suits you.

Trust me I'd walk right through you and your cheap polyester suites . Was the seminar to sell buty products ?