Work contract ends Feb 28 - Non-B Visa expires March 25 - do I need extension of stay or can I let Non-B expire?

I am teaching on a Non-B set to expire March 25 per the stamp in my passport. My work contract ends Feb. 28. Ideally, I would like to stay until mid-March.

Here states that my non-B will be allowed to expire as normal, but it is not the case with work permits. And it seems most of the forum posts have to do with work permits, and not a non-B visa. However, I've seen information that the same rules apply - that you must leave the country at the termination of the work contract within 24 hours or seek an extension for 7 days.

Would I have any issues with immigration leaving in Mid-March, given that my non-B visa permits my stay until March 25? Is the system organized so that it is known that my work contract expires on February 28?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, thedan663 said:

on a Non-B set to expire March 25 per the stamp in my passport.

Are you actually here on a 90 day visa entry or is the stamp you're talking about an extension of stay ... i.e. did you get the stamp at the airport or land border when you entered Thailand the last time or did you get the stamp at a local immigration office?

If the latter, then extensions of stay end the same day that the reason for them ends. 

Edited by Suradit69

I doubt he had a 90 day contract meaning he must be here in an extension which dies his last day of work. Especially since he says expires "per the stamp" not "per the use by day on the visa". Gotta vamoose asap.

Edited by csabo

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you had a 90 day entry from a non-b visa it would remain valid.

If you have extended that 90 day entry at immigration then your extension ends on the date you job ends.

The solution can be do make a border run before the end of contract. So he will have valid 90 days extension....

7 minutes ago, BigDaddy66 said:

The solution can be do make a border run before the end of contract. So he will have valid 90 days extension....

How would he get an extension by doing a border hop?

He does not appear to have a multiple entry visa so the most he would get is a 30 day entry.

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Are you actually here on a 90 day visa entry or is the stamp you're talking about an extension of stay ... i.e. did you get the stamp at the airport or land border when you entered Thailand the last time or did you get the stamp at a local immigration office?

If the latter, then extensions of stay end the same day that the reason for them ends. 

I am here on a 90 day visa entry. I was hired in December to teach under contract until Feb. 28 to fill in until semester's end. My employer got paperwork for the Non-B and I went to Laos to get my Non-B stamp for 90 days ending March 25 via land border when entering Thailand. My visa is a single entry visa. The text on the visa is "Enter Before March 25."

Thanks much for the help everyone. Quite helpful.

1 hour ago, thedan663 said:

I am here on a 90 day visa entry. I was hired in December to teach under contract until Feb. 28 to fill in until semester's end. My employer got paperwork for the Non-B and I went to Laos to get my Non-B stamp for 90 days ending March 25 via land border when entering Thailand. My visa is a single entry visa. The text on the visa is "Enter Before March 25."

Thanks much for the help everyone. Quite helpful.

The "enter before" date just means you could have used your visa to enter Thailand until that date.  It has no bearing on your permitted-stay.  If it is a single-entry non-B visa you used to enter Thailand, then the visa is history, and all you have now, is the "admitted until" date stamped in your passport.  If you have not received an extension of the visa at an immigration office, then you can stay until the "admitted until" date, even if your job has ended in the meantime.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The "enter before" date just means you could have used your visa to enter Thailand until that date.  It has no bearing on your permitted-stay.  If it is a single-entry non-B visa you used to enter Thailand, then the visa is history, and all you have now, is the "admitted until" date stamped in your passport.  If you have not received an extension of the visa at an immigration office, then you can stay until the "admitted until" date, even if your job has ended in the meantime.

Perfect...I see the "Admitted Until" date on my Departure Card. So to my understanding, I have until the 25 of March to stay, regardless of my contract ending, correct?

6 hours ago, thedan663 said:

Perfect...I see the "Admitted Until" date on my Departure Card. So to my understanding, I have until the 25 of March to stay, regardless of my contract ending, correct?

You also have a entry stamp in you your passport that has the admitted until date on it.

If that is the 25th March you can stay until that date.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How would he get an extension by doing a border hop?

He does not appear to have a multiple entry visa so the most he would get is a 30 day entry.

12 hours ago, BigDaddy66 said:

I use to do that.

He didn't specify, this part is indeed missing.

Extensions can only be applied for at an immigration office they are not done at border crossings. You can only get a new entry at a border crossing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You also have a entry stamp in you your passport that has the admitted until date on it.

If that is the 25th March you can stay until that date.

And that is indeed what it says.

I know you must get a lot of newbie posts about visas, so I appreciate the help and assistance here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the answers, this exactly solves my problem too - I ended up only getting a single entry non-imm B last time because I didn't have 8 months left on my WP - now I have left the company so I can still remain until my "Admitted Until" date on my TM6. Good news indeed

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thanks there is helpful information in here. I have a similar situation and would like some advice:

most important question:

My work contract ends July 1st. (2 years), and my extension of stay is permitted up to Aug 4th. 

I intend on taking a 1 month CELTA class that begins July 3rd. Just to be clear I will not have to leave the country to get a TR or TI stamp in order to take the class?

If it matters I had planned to go to Myanmar after that for a month or two and decide what or where I'd like to go. Ideally I'd like to keep my options open for a return to Thailand, a visit to the US or stay in Myanmar awhile longer. If you could shed some light on my Myanmar crossing as per what type of visa I should get/can get that'd be extremely helpful as well. Thanks 

30 minutes ago, rcoyote said:

Thanks there is helpful information in here. I have a similar situation and would like some advice:

most important question:

My work contract ends July 1st. (2 years), and my extension of stay is permitted up to Aug 4th. 

I intend on taking a 1 month CELTA class that begins July 3rd. Just to be clear I will not have to leave the country to get a TR or TI stamp in order to take the class?

If it matters I had planned to go to Myanmar after that for a month or two and decide what or where I'd like to go. Ideally I'd like to keep my options open for a return to Thailand, a visit to the US or stay in Myanmar awhile longer. If you could shed some light on my Myanmar crossing as per what type of visa I should get/can get that'd be extremely helpful as well. Thanks 

As stated earlier in this thread, if you are here on an extension of stay, and the reason for the extension ceases to apply, your extension ceases to be valid at the same time. You seem to be saying that your work permit will be canceled as of July 1st. If so, your extension will also cease to be valid as of that date.

Assuming you cannot replace that extension with another extension for a different reason (pehaps, 60 days to visit Thai wife or Thai child) you should plan on leaving and re-entering Thailand to get a tourist entry.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rcoyote said:

most important question:

Yes you will need to leave the country to get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry. You should get a termination letter stating the date you job ends. You can then go to immigration a few days before that date and immigration will post date the cancellation of your extension to that date. That is the best way to get time to leave the country.

You appear to also be asking about a visa for Myanmar. You need to ask about that in the Visas and migration to other countries forum.

• Like 1