Marrying Thai while on tourist visa

Hello all ..

I have searched but cannot find an answer to which visa should I get before coming to marry my Thai gf.

I want to stay in Thailand for 4 months, marry, and then holiday back in Australia for 3 months before returning to Thailand.

Edited by Ronniee11

You can get married on any visa, even a visa exemption :)

If not married and under 50 then a Tourist Visa (60 day stay extendable by another 30) is probably your only option.

Once married you can get a one-off 60 day extension to visit your wife although that probably isn't available if you've already extended your tourist visa.

You can get a tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry. There no requirement for any type of visa to get married.

If you get married before the end of that 60 days you could get a 60 day extension to visit your new wife. If not you could then get a 30 day extension of it.

29 minutes ago, Ronniee11 said:

Thanks for the quick replies ..

I should add that I am 50+ and Aussie.

In that case, you could apply for an OA visa in Australia, come and go for 1 year.

Thai Visa is probably the easy part, a visa for your wife can be difficult if a short relationship, no job in Thailand to return to etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ronniee11 said:

Hmm .. she has run her own shop for many years (lease), but has now sold it. So she is currently unemployed.

Thats the stuff Australian immigration look at, length of relationship and proof, photos emails etc. A job or children etc to come back to, reasons to come back. Lots of information if you google.

Also, a bit of paperwork to get married, if you are divorced you need original of divorce certificate, trips to Australian consulate and Thai ministry of foreign affairs in BKK.

• Like 1

it is a lot easier to marry her in oz as far as visas go ie no proof of relationship .just apply for a marriage visa ,police check,med check for her and son ( even if son not coming to oz).gives her 9 mts in oz . the Australian marriage certificate is recognized in Thailand.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats the stuff Australian immigration look at, length of relationship and proof, photos emails etc. A job or children etc to come back to, reasons to come back. Lots of information if you google.

Also, a bit of paperwork to get married, if you are divorced you need original of divorce certificate, trips to Australian consulate and Thai ministry of foreign affairs in BKK.

Its getting very expensive to take her to Aussie. Best just try and hope for a tourist visa. Only other visa maybe a student visa but she will have to enroll maybe study English, it will be expensive either way.

2 hours ago, agrow said:

it is a lot easier to marry her in oz as far as visas go ie no proof of relationship .just apply for a marriage visa ,police check,med check for her and son ( even if son not coming to oz).gives her 9 mts in oz . the Australian marriage certificate is recognized in Thailand.  

You still need to fill out the paper work for it to be approved and recognised in Thailand.  I looked into it before marrying.  Better to marry in Thai and then Australia recognises that without any further work.  As for spouse/marriage visa for Australia it can take between 8 months and 18 months to be approved.  If they knock it back you do not get any refund what so ever.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, agrow said:

But getting that visa will be a problem without cash in the bank.

Interesting reading folks. Sorry my ramble is a little o/t. 

I have often wondered whether I would be allowed any other type of visa/permit to stay other than a v.o.a. as a result of being married to a Thai citizen ?

Me - Aust.(67)  My wife - Dual Aus./Thai.(50) - retired.

Married - Aust. 16 years. Live Aust. permanently, visit Thailand annually for no more than a month at a time.

We are thinking of buying a place that we can live at instead of with the relo's and for a bit longer than our usual short stays. From what I have been reading here, probably a retirement visa or the like, will be the way to go for me, in the absence of any other entitlement ? 

Cheers

John

Edited by JG27

7 minutes ago, JG27 said:

I have often wondered whether I would be allowed any other type of visa/permit to stay other than a v.o.a. as a result of being married to a Thai citizen ?

Married - Aust. 16 years. Live Aust. permanently, visit Thailand annually for no more than a month at a time.

We are thinking of buying a place that we can live at instead of with the relo's and for a bit longer than our usual short stays. From what I have been reading here, probably a retirement visa or the like, will be the way to go for me, in the absence of any other entitlement ? 

Cheers

John

You could stay in Thailand a year at a time based on retirement.

You need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank or 65,000 Baht monthly income or a combination of both.

Or you could stay on yearly extensions based on marriage to a Thai.

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank or 40,000 Baht monthly income.

If you wish you can apply for Non Imm O Visas in Australia.

A single entry would get you 90 days.

Multi entry would get you unlimited entries of up to 90 days for a year.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JG27 said:

Cheers

John

You could get a multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage that that would allow unlimited 90 day entries entries for a year from the date of issue. You could get it at the embassy or the consulate in Sydney in person or by mail.

• Like 1

Hi.. this is my first post on this forum, so first of all:  SawasDeeKrub!

I have for a long time wanted to go to Thailand and start a new life but Thai Visa rules are getting exceedingly hard for me to work myself around. I am 40 and my GF is half my age.. she comes from a good family, her father is wealthy (and not super happy about me entering her daughters life, of course). My HatYai princess and I have dated for a year, I have visited her twice and we chat for hours every day. She is a student. Originally we were not going to marry so soon, but due to VISA issues, we are now exploring this option, as it seems to be my best chance of settling in this country and setting up a business/applying for work. I am not rich at all, but I do have the required 400.000 bath funds needed to apply for a marriage visa, and I will have a net profit of somewhere between 22.000-30.000 bath every month from renting out my apartment in my home country. This should provide me with some sort of financial basis whilst looking for a local income. I am a journalist/TV-producer by trade, and I am pretty confident I could add to this financial basis income from offering freelance services to my home country.

Anyway, my questions are these:

* According to what information I have gathered, I cannot apply for a MarriageVISA on a 30-day Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme. Is this correct?

* Siam-Legal.com suggest I need to apply for the MarriageVISA on either a1 year non-immigrant O visa or a 90-Day Non-Immigrant visa. Upon further research (as I seem not to be eligable for the 1yr O-Visa coming from my country) I need to apply for the 90-day option. According to SIam-Legal I need "an invitation or confirmation letter to clarify the purpose of travel issued by the concerned organization".  What does this mean? How can I obtain such a document?

Any info on these Q's are really appreciated. Additional information helpful to my situation, working on a MarriageVISA etc.. are also greatly appreciated.

Pilgrim

5 minutes ago, Billy P said:

I have for a long time wanted to go to Thailand and start a new life but Thai Visa rules are getting exceedingly hard for me to work myself around. I am 40 and my GF is half my age.. she comes from a good family, her father is wealthy (and not super happy about me entering her daughters life, of course). My HatYai princess and I have dated for a year, I have visited her twice and we chat for hours every day. She is a student. Originally we were not going to marry so soon, but due to VISA issues, we are now exploring this option, as it seems to be my best chance of settling in this country and setting up a business/applying for work. I am not rich at all, but I do have the required 400.000 bath funds needed to apply for a marriage visa, and I will have a net profit of somewhere between 22.000-30.000 bath every month from renting out my apartment in my home country. This should provide me with some sort of financial basis whilst looking for a local income. I am a journalist/TV-producer by trade, and I am pretty confident I could add to this financial basis income from offering freelance services to my home country.

I skipped the rest of your post because it was mostly wrong or misleading info you found.

Since you don't have you will not be able to apply for a year extension at immigration based upon marriage after you get married your best option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa a embassy or consulate. That would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. Then later if you can meet the financial requirements you could apply for the one year extension based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

You still need to fill out the paper work for it to be approved and recognised in Thailand.  I looked into it before marrying.  Better to marry in Thai and then Australia recognises that without any further work.  As for spouse/marriage visa for Australia it can take between 8 months and 18 months to be approved.  If they knock it back you do not get any refund what so ever.  

going the way of marriage visa to oz only took 3 mt when i did it ,was differently the easy way to go.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I skipped the rest of your post because it was mostly wrong or misleading info you found.

Since you don't have you will not be able to apply for a year extension at immigration based upon marriage after you get married your best option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa a embassy or consulate. That would allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue. Then later if you can meet the financial requirements you could apply for the one year extension based upon marriage during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from the visa.

Maybe you got me wrong? I said in my original post that I infact do have the required 400.000 bath in my bankaccount.. more if needed.. in addition to a monthly profit from renting out my appartment (22.000-30.000 bath per month)..

If you misunderstood my post, I guess my two questions still stand. Anyway.. thank you for responding.. I appreciate any help I can get!

M

As Joe said, most of the info you quoted was from a commercial website and was wrong.

It is alway best if you can start with a Non Imm Visa.

If not you can convert to a Non Imm Visa at Immigration providing you have at least 15 days left on your permission to stay and you qualify financially.

This would probably require 2 trips to Bangkok.

You could then apply for the 12 months extension based on marriage to a Thai Woman.

A rough guide for application for extension:

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Letter from your Thai Bank showing balance and up to date bank book.

OR.

If income from outside Thailand: Letter from your Embassy showing income. Now may also need proof of income as back up.

If Income from Thailand: Statements showing Income Tax receipts.

Marriage Certificate. (Kor Ror 3)

Marriage Registry entry. (Kor Ror 2)

Wife's Tabbien Baan and ID Card.

Your Passport.

Copies of everything.

Photos of you and your Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Passport size photos and 1,900 Baht fee.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

One or two witnesses may be required.

You will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp.

Go back in a month and get the remainder.

4 hours ago, Billy P said:

Maybe you got me wrong? I said in my original post that I infact do have the required 400.000 bath in my bankaccount.. more if needed.. in addition to a monthly profit from renting out my appartment (22.000-30.000 bath per month)..

If you misunderstood my post, I guess my two questions still stand. Anyway.. thank you for responding.. I appreciate any help I can get!

M

I think I did misread your post but there is no marriage visa. It is a non-o visa or a extension of stay based upon marriage. It gets confusing when people call everything a visa.

After you get married you can go out and get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

For the extension this is my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

• Like 1

17 hours ago, agrow said:

going the way of marriage visa to oz only took 3 mt when i did it ,was differently the easy way to go.

Friend of mine just did it to get married in OZ, took him 11 months.  I guess the time depends on many factors.  However, the actual visa spouse/marriage is the same visa and same application regardless of whether you marry here or in OZ.  The same can be said for registering your marriage here in Thailand.  At least it was for me.  

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think I did misread your post but there is no marriage visa. It is a non-o visa or a extension of stay based upon marriage. It gets confusing when people call everything a visa.

After you get married you can go out and get a single entry non-o visa and then apply for the one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

For the extension this is my general list of required documents. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Excellent! Thank you so much.. Yes, must admit that googling "VISA to Thailand" leads to a jungle of confusing information. Have a great day!