British Citizens Who Chose To Go Permanently Abroad

ThaiLife

IMO the last 20 and the next 30 or so years will become a watershed in UK history, where it went from a strong fighting nation to not only Europes, but the worlds dumping ground
Read all the threads with interest,of course UK has gone down the toilet,no work, Nhs is over stretched, you get taxed to death if you do work!! it has become a grey country full of grey people,I can understand why people are leaving the country in droves, some even happy to become soap dodgers in australia or sheep worriers in NZ, everyone has a laugh at venerable Udons Avatar "Living in a shed in Sydney" because that is preferable to a life in UK.We moved to Australia in 96 at the end of our working lives, we will never be rich , but are happy and wellcared for,thailand is only round the corner,as disabled pensioners in UK I dont think our quality of life would be very high, My favourite pastime here, as bronco and old croc well know is having a dig at my colonial neighbours,but we have the best of 2 worlds, 6 months here and then 6 months in thailand.To close , a suggestion!!the last brit to leave the islands, Turn out the light, pull the Plug let it sink into oblivion, let us all remember those green and pleasant lands as they were 50 years ago,when they still spoke English in Blackburn, Burnley and Bradford :o Nignoy

For christ's sake, stop whining.

These islands of the European coast have been a dumping ground for 2000 years already. The Romans, the Germanic tribes, the Normans, etc.

You had your empire, dumped your misfits into other continents, occupied and changed the world, sold slaves, imported them, and the world came to you. You whined about Jamaicans, Pakisthanis, and now you whine about east Europeans. And you immigrate to places like Thailand, and give Thais and internet forum debaters the opportunity to whine about Brit hooligans let loose on the world.

Just stiff up the lip, have a cuppa tea, and please just whine about the weather. That's a lot more charming than these anti immigrant rants.

Basically, thoughout human history people moved, even before we were what can be called people. One thing has stayed the same - people still move. Any way you look at it - the notion of 'nation' and ethnic/national purity is foolish, if you look at human history.

Genetic and cultural diversity is the key to human development and survival. Genetic diversity helps protecting you against deseases and stops you from turning into peckerwoods, cultural diversity keeps development going. Given recent Brit cultural highlights such as chav "culture" - you are in desperate need for fresh input into your genetic pool.

And, immigration has given the UK for the first time in its history digestible food. That at least should count for something.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like GuestHouse is the only one making any sense on this thread!

Why do Brits go abroad? - Well if you actually examine the figures then you will see a lot those included are people from South Asia that presumably have dual nationality. People also go abroad because they are attracted by the adventure, the exoticness of foreign countries, the weather and most importantly - because the British economy makes it possible! Perhaps the relative openness of British society makes people more curious and open to foreign culture. Yes of course there are those bitter people citing the government and how the UK has changed and being ruined - but people like Robski have always existed and always will (they read and believe the Daily Mail!)- the grass is always greener! I have loved living abroad - but by living abroad I have also appreciated things that people tend to take for granted when back in the UK - such as a genuinely open and multicultural society (yes OK political correctness does sometimes go to far - but better that than the racism of the past and the racism found else where), a political system that despite all its faults is as open and non-corrupt as any found anywhere, a NHS which most people in the UK are very thankful for. The best TV in the world (no one believes this to be true until they have lived in Australia and the USA!).

And if the Uk was so bad why is it so attractive for Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Eastern Europeans, South Asians etc etc?

Edited by mittheimp

The biggest gripe that most Chav Brits have is that the place is FULL of Bleeding foreighners...init mate ... :o

Come over "ere take our jobs ,fink they own the (again)bleeding place,use our NHS ,never paid a Sov into the system....all their la di da attitude ...bleeding government innit mate ...bunch of "ere we go again bleeding communists" ....

anyway me and the trouble "ave "ad enough ...good old Maggi ...(and Pinoo Shay--Chillian Geezer-Gaud bless im-RIP) flogged our Cancil flat ( got 70 % off... thanks to ..M)and gonna move outa this Pzzhole to..... Spain........sunshine and fings

No bleeding foreighners over there ...is their mate ...all gen Brits......salt of the earth is them Spanish guys.......and make good spagetti sos I ve heard .....an from wot I have also hear they ALL speak english......bleedi......... :D

Where I work (not in Britain), we employ people from all over the world. One of the noticable things about the Brits is their high rate of absenteeism. The big boss would rather not hire them because they insist on taking all their sick leave every year, no matter what.

This has to do with the work ethic. There is a lot of complaining, a lot of demanding, and little output. This has an effect on the morale of other employees as well.

Please understand this is not a rant or a big putdown. We have plenty of Brits who are exemplary employees. It's just that it's quite noticeable about the number whose work habits are not up to par.

Where I work (not in Britain), we employ people from all over the world. One of the noticable things about the Brits is their high rate of absenteeism. The big boss would rather not hire them because they insist on taking all their sick leave every year, no matter what.

This has to do with the work ethic. There is a lot of complaining, a lot of demanding, and little output. This has an effect on the morale of other employees as well.

Please understand this is not a rant or a big putdown. We have plenty of Brits who are exemplary employees. It's just that it's quite noticeable about the number whose work habits are not up to par.

Well Brits work when they are at work, unlike load of others

who are just at work. There are plenty of useless Fcuks all round the world.

:o

Even if they are, there is an irony a UK expat bemoaning immigration to the UK.

It is ironic, this one of the many reasons I have chosen to depart from the UK, It abhores me to pay high taxes to the upkeep of newly arriving asylum seekers by the bus load.

At least the curruption in LOS is more honest :o

Why do Brits go abroad? - Well if you actually examine the figures then you will see a lot those included are people from South Asia that presumably have dual nationality. People also go abroad because they are attracted by the adventure, the exoticness of foreign countries, the weather and most importantly - because the British economy makes it possible! Perhaps the relative openness of British society makes people more curious and open to foreign culture. Yes of course there are those bitter people citing the government and how the UK has changed and being ruined - but people like Robski have always existed and always will (they read and believe the Daily Mail!)- the grass is always greener! I have loved living abroad - but by living abroad I have also appreciated things that people tend to take for granted when back in the UK - such as a genuinely open and multicultural society (yes OK political correctness does sometimes go to far - but better that than the racism of the past and the racism found else where), a political system that despite all its faults is as open and non-corrupt as any found anywhere, a NHS which most people in the UK are very thankful for. The best TV in the world (no one believes this to be true until they have lived in Australia and the USA!).

And if the Uk was so bad why is it so attractive for Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Eastern Europeans, South Asians etc etc?

This coming from the guy who started the thread 'who are the hardest farangs?' Keep dreaming. :o:D:D

Mate you couldn't be more wrong if you tried, this whole statement is a work of fantasy, and me a Daily Mail reader? don't insult my intelligence. I can see the irony clear enough bemoaning immigration, having worked abroad myself, but what about those that are in England, losing jobs or having to support an over stretched system?

My point is again that the report in the OP has only one clear fact that 4.4m brits have left and the rest of the report is propaganda.

As for the last bit well they've got Kylie but bugger all else and everyone knows they come to see London for the booze and the birds. :D

Edited by Robski

I was quite shocked with the work ethics in Australia when I first arrived in 96, the company I was Curator of, had 44 employees of which at least 15 were absent everyday , this was accepted by the directors as normal practise, and as they were long term employees they could not be sacked for absenteeism, even being caught using narcotics such as cocaine in the workplace was not punishable,even when such employees were handling venomous snakes and other reptiles before the public,there are good and bad everywhere,it is a matter of personal management experience and opinion

I was quite shocked with the work ethics in Australia when I first arrived in 96, the company I was Curator of, had 44 employees of which at least 15 were absent everyday , this was accepted by the directors as normal practise, and as they were long term employees they could not be sacked for absenteeism, even being caught using narcotics such as cocaine in the workplace was not punishable,even when such employees were handling venomous snakes and other reptiles before the public,there are good and bad everywhere,it is a matter of personal management experience and opinion

OOPS!! sorry forgot sign :o Nignoy

Life in Britain has changed, always has changed, always will change.

Some people can't keep up - Boo Hoo

I wonder if these are the same people who can't keep up with the changing relationship between men and women back home?

---

I'm still waiting for Johnson to explain why colour matters?

Life in Britain has changed, always has changed, always will change.

Some people can't keep up - Boo Hoo

I wonder if these are the same people who can't keep up with the changing relationship between men and women back home?

---

I'm still waiting for Johnson to explain why colour matters?

thats very bloody nice guesthouse, :o

its ok for you being a filthy rich expat with a wife, kids and employies living in frigging rome to say to the poms that ( some people cant keep up ) BOO HOO.

im a real lucky guy as i dont live in that horrible place but i never would have a crack at the poor unfortunate buggers that do.

these working class people are scratching to make a living and the last thing they need is some pompus expat like you sticking the knife into them.

you need to realise that alot of people arn't as privilaged as me and you and when your on the bones of your arse maybe then you can have a good look at that piece of rubbish you have penned.

truly disgraceful and disrespectful.

i expect better from you.

terry

Terry

a) You don't know anything about life in Britain (unless you are suddenly going to come and tell us that you have 'spent a considerable amount of time there'.

B) You don't know anything about me, other than I am an expat living in Rome - I guess it didn't occur to you that I wasn't always an expat living in Rome (or an expat anywhere else for that matter).

But let me tell you. I come from a part of the UK where the local industry and economy where devistated in the 80s and 90s. I started my working life in an industry that nolonger existsts.

I know exactly about change in British society, because I lived it.

And don't give me that 'That's bloody nice guesthouse' <deleted>.

What is not bloody nice, is people coming on here with their racist and xenophobic filth, running down a country that they WILL run to when their sh1t hits the fan, complaining of foreigners in their country while going to live in someone else's country.

Keep up or get left behind is a rule of life. Get over it and get over yourself (which ever self you happen to be today).

Yes we fought long and hard for workers rights, something the rest of the world with their precious ethics should take a moment and think on. I don't know where you are based Scott, but I suspect that your Brits are just taking what is righfully theirs. Brits are not yes men and " will never be slaves "!!

Edited by ourmanflint

What is not bloody nice, is people coming on here with their racist and xenophobic filth, running down a country that they WILL run to when their sh1t hits the fan, complaining of foreigners in their country while going to live in someone else's country.

Keep up or get left behind is a rule of life. Get over it and get over yourself (which ever self you happen to be today).

I think your glasses need cleaning GH, hardly a reasonable summary of what's been said.

I have a question, or two. Do you think that the BBC report is unbiased, that it reflects a genuine view of why people are leaving, and that it paints a fair picture of British society that, IMO, it is advertising to foreign immigrants?

OK I'll take the test.

Do you think that the BBC report is unbiased
I've read the report twice, I can see no bias in the report. I am willing to learn though, so please identify the exact bias of which you complain.
Do you think that the BBC report ........ reflects a genuine view of why people are leaving?

I've read the report twice, I can see no example of where the report expresses anyone's view of why they are leaving – Well there’s a reference to ‘Seeking employment’ but that is hardly a shocking revelation.

Maybe I missed something and I'm always willing to learn, so please identify to me exactly where the report gives an example of someone's view and motivation for leaving the UK.

Do you think that the BBC report .......paints a fair picture of British society?
I've read the report twice, I can see no example of where the report paints a view of British society, other than to state that the economy is strong, that there is a net increase in population between those leaving and those coming into the country.

But perhaps I missed something in the report, can you please identify to me exactly where it is that the report gives such examples and views.

IMO, it is advertising to foreign immigrants?

I've read the report three times now, I thought surely I missed something, but I could not identify any point at which the report is advertising to foreigners. As I said, I am willing to learn, so please can you point out where such advertising exists in the report - Which paragraph, sentence, phrase constitutes an 'Advertisement to Foreigners'?

...... I am waiting with bated breath for your response.

It seems a lot of EU citizens move to the UK because it's one place where English is spoken, and most Europeans have some knowledge of English. But where in the EU can Brits go to work - other than Ireland - without any solid foreign-language skills?

Boo,

You pay your NHS contributions I assume, so you are entitled to the care?

Not much difference in paying for an insurance health care policy, if you were abroad.

Not really as all my prescriptions are free due to diabetes & during my pregnancy all dental care is paid for. I dont have to check a policy to see if any of my treatment is covered or pay any kind of excess, my husbnad who had moved here but not worked yet so no NI contributions, was hospitalised shortly after arriving here & also go the care. So yes, I pay NI contributions but it is still a good service.

IMO, it is how the individual views the country they live in. For those of you who try to shove your negative opinions as fact on the rest of us, in your life that is your experience, but to me, it is a different view.

And I do look under the surface & can see the negative but thankfully, can also see the good things & positives of the UK too. :o

IMO, it is how the individual views the country they live in. For those of you who try to shove your negative opinions as fact on the rest of us, in your life that is your experience, but to me, it is a different view.

And I do look under the surface & can see the negative but thankfully, can also see the good things & positives of the UK too.

Well said Boo.

This coming from the guy who started the thread 'who are the hardest farangs?' Keep dreaming. :D:D:D

Mate you couldn't be more wrong if you tried, this whole statement is a work of fantasy, and me a Daily Mail reader? don't insult my intelligence. I can see the irony clear enough bemoaning immigration, having worked abroad myself, but what about those that are in England, losing jobs or having to support an over stretched system?

My point is again that the report in the OP has only one clear fact that 4.4m brits have left and the rest of the report is propaganda.

As for the last bit well they've got Kylie but bugger all else and everyone knows they come to see London for the booze and the birds. :D

Mate I think you've been away from the UK to long! As not only do your posts paint a picture of UK that doesn't exist you also have no ability to spot irony! Maybe the thread wasn't very funny but I think most could see it was a response to an increasing number of pathetic threads boasting about fighting!

and Guesthouse is right - you have made a number of sweeping statements about why this report is biased but have made no attempt to back it up with any meaningful explanation or evidence! But then a lot of people enjoy moaning about how things have changed and how the UK has gone to the dogs since Jolly foreigner has arrived. Bet your a right laugh to have a beer with! :o

Edited by mittheimp

Terry

a) You don't know anything about life in Britain (unless you are suddenly going to come and tell us that you have 'spent a considerable amount of time there'.

;) You don't know anything about me, other than I am an expat living in Rome - I guess it didn't occur to you that I wasn't always an expat living in Rome (or an expat anywhere else for that matter).

But let me tell you. I come from a part of the UK where the local industry and economy where devistated in the 80s and 90s. I started my working life in an industry that nolonger existsts.

I know exactly about change in British society, because I lived it.

And don't give me that 'That's bloody nice guesthouse' <deleted>.

fair enough guesthouse,

i dont live in the U.K and can personally tell you ill never go there unless someone payed me a <deleted> load of money.

ive lived with poms, travelled with them young and old and ive never had one scream at me that i have to go over there.

you know that i am an aussie, we have got everything that the english want , australia is full of them and i mostly like them.

they appreciate to be able to live in aussie or los as a matter of fact because the U.K is going down the gurgler real quick. thats what they all tell me anyway.

for you to say they should all " keep up or get left behind " tells me exactly what your attitude is towards your own countrymen who dont happen to be as well off as you.

its screams out loud, "IM ALRIGHT JACK AND FRIG THE REST OF YOU" . :bah:

whilst your sitting on your arse in rome eating spaghetti your bretherin are struggling to survive in good old blighty and all you can say is

" KEEP UP OR GET LEFT BEHIND "

truly pathetic peace of logic guest house and im glad your no mate of mine. as a matter of fact i will report to our immigration department as a life member of the jack brigade. :D

if you get anywhere near aussie you will self destuct. :bah:

you've disapointed me guesthouse as i was just starting to take to you but now im back to thinking your a right tosser. :D

now dont take that as being offensive as its only my observation and i could be wrong. :o

but guesthouse, i though i was wrong once but i was mistaken. :D:D:D

lighten up guesthouse and have a bit of compassion for your pommy mates. :o

your bestest buddy, terry

your bretherin are struggling to survive in good old blighty and all you can say is

struggling how? struggling enough to afford the airfare to AUS to tell you they are struggling? mmm, really on the breadline to afford flights to the otherside of the world :o

your bretherin are struggling to survive in good old blighty and all you can say is

struggling how? struggling enough to afford the airfare to AUS to tell you they are struggling? mmm, really on the breadline to afford flights to the otherside of the world :o

what all of them? i think not.

theres heaps who are just struggling to live.

To get back on topic anyway, the main reason most of my parents friends & friends parents have moved overseas is the climate & due to the proprty boom in the UK over the past 15 years.

Most bought houses for 15-30k GBP years ago & now those houses are worth 250k+ GBP. So with the release of equity & self contributed pensions can afford to buy a villa in spain or other hot places & live very comfortable.

Interestingly, there has recenlty been reports of a lot of poeple moving back to the UK as the dream & the reality of living overseas dont match up, they miss familiar things & family but now due to the property boom, are priced way out of the market!

:o;)

fair enough guesthouse,

i dont live in the U.K and can personally tell you ill never go there unless someone payed me a <deleted> load of money.

ive lived with poms, travelled with them young and old and ive never had one scream at me that i have to go over there.

you know that i am an aussie, we have got everything that the english want , australia is full of them and i mostly like them.

they appreciate to be able to live in aussie or los as a matter of fact because the U.K is going down the gurgler real quick. thats what they all tell me anyway.

for you to say they should all " keep up or get left behind " tells me exactly what your attitude is towards your own countrymen who dont happen to be as well off as you.

its screams out loud, "IM ALRIGHT JACK AND FRIG THE REST OF YOU" . :D

whilst your sitting on your arse in rome eating spaghetti your bretherin are struggling to survive in good old blighty and all you can say is

" KEEP UP OR GET LEFT BEHIND "

truly pathetic peace of logic guest house and im glad your no mate of mine. as a matter of fact i will report to our immigration department as a life member of the jack brigade. :D

if you get anywhere near aussie you will self destuct.

you've disapointed me guesthouse as i was just starting to take to you but now im back to thinking your a right tosser.

now dont take that as being offensive as its only my observation and i could be wrong. :D

but guesthouse, i though i was wrong once but i was mistaken.

lighten up guesthouse and have a bit of compassion for your pommy mates. :o

your bestest buddy, terry

Not coming to the UK! Oh that's a shame - and all of us here were so hoping you would make it over!

Maybe your information about the UK is more of a reflection of the company you keep - but then again i would have presumed someone of your status, intellect and sensitivity would only socialise with the great and the good :bah:

A shame you, yet again, had to resort to personal insults with your verbal jousting with Guesthouse as a) you always lose, :bah: you tend to look an idiot and c) you were doing so well without it!

Hint: How about looking for a topic you know something about before commenting - although admittedly I haven't found the 'too many smileys by pig ignorant fireman' section yet! :D

hi terry57

stop holding back and seating on the fence , let as know how you really feel :o

as for boo , great to see some people in england still feel your way .

i still live in england and see it differently to you , for me thats fine ,

i think i am older then you and have had more things happen in my life , to make me feel the way i do.

maybe i am not keeping up , re guest house, but what i will say , is something must be wrong for so many people to be leaving , or thinking of leaving,

for me it is the fact that i would have a must better standed of living in thailand or aus , or many places.

and my little girl will grow up repecting her elders , not shiting on them , as many do in england now ,

not all but many many ,

just my say :D

Terry, when I need a lesson on compassion I shall not come looking to you to give it.

Likewise when I want to know about life in Britain, I'll go elsewhere than to rely on your second hand information.

You tell us British expats living in Australia give you their views of the failings of Britain – Well that’s one view.

Here’s another.

I'm telling you that Britain is a far better place than many would have you believe. I'll go further, I have stated right up front that the view of Britain is personal and dependent on personal experience. My personal experience is that Britain is a great place, offers a fantastic life style, opportunity AND is an open outward looking society that I am proud to come from.

Others are happy to run the old country down, and as we see from the posts here, very happy to point the finger at Johnny foreigner.

The question I ask when I hear someone moaning about the UK is, 'Is all the fault with Britain, or is the fault with the individual?'.

I've been an expat most of my working life, I have a home in the UK and will always maintain a home in the UK. The British expats I know and work with, like me have all got great things to say about the UK. - Why is that? - Because the UK has given us great lives, it gives our families great lives.

So there are a range of opinions, take your choice, believe some guy who is running away from the UK because he can't keep up, believe someone who gets a great life out of the UK. – Up to You!

But don't presume to tell me my view of the UK is wrong, when you have never so much as set foot in the place.

Absolutely I have a great life, a great job, a great privilege to live the life I live. – All of that was built on the fantastic foundations I got from the UK (Thank you UK!).

The UK is a bloody great place and like I say only a fool would burn his bridges back to there.