Unable to go and apply for retirement visa in person, because of age related problems

17 minutes ago, merijn said:

It doesn't matter who the medical statement writes but whats is mentioned in the statements.

And the statement has to be very clear that the patient is not able to travel (in any kind of transportation).

Yess  and ...?

Thank you for all the info.  Looks like it is doable, which is good to hear.  It was just one of those things, on my mind, while making the final decision to stay here.  I have been here for about 16 years, but this is the first time, I have actually asked and received some answers to this question. 

In my past dealings with Government officals in this Country, I have found that the attitude of the person applying, makes a big difference sometimes.  Respect, Politeness and a Smile, seem to go a long ways. 

Thanks again.  Cheers.

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Nancy, as you suggest in your post above, I'm assuming the practices you're mentioning are ones occurring in CM, not necessarily everywhere else. And, of course, the OP in this thread didn't indicate he was from CM, nor is this a CM sub-forum. So presumably all sorts and areas of Immigration customers are reading here.

And if you take Gamini's account above as any indication, presumably they weren't running a USB cable from the Immigration computers indoors out to the parking lot where they were snapping his photo in the back of his car. So it would seem, in at least some places, there's some flexibility and discretion in how they handle the photo taking issue.  Or if you read Dentonian's post above, perhaps no new in-person photo of the applicant at all...

Since I do not find it inconvenient to relax in the back of the car while a friend of mine renews my retirement Visa. I've never had to wait more than about 20 minutes. I give the immigration officer a big smile when he comes and photographs me in my car. However the last time my friend seemed to think that even this is not necessary. And as Nancy suggests even a photo of me incapacitated might suffice. And my friend said that she thought that they would be prepared to come to my house for a small fee. She thinks the best thing to do is to go to immigration and ask them what they could do. As I've said before I've always found immigration officers pleasant and helpful.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dentonian said:

What happens to the poor married sods who remain here on Non Imm O ME Visas obtained from Savannakhet without any proof of funds.

If incapacitated in any way and they can't make their annual or 90 day trips to the border, do they just go into overstay, hoping not to be noticed because they've never visited an Immigration office.

They can get medical extensions, good for a maximum of 90 days.  People who come here on 30 day visa exempt entry can get medical extensions.  They can be done back-to-back without limit as long as the inability to travel exists.  People are here on medical extensions for years.

• Like 2

Allied to the various points raised in this thread, I think, is the fundamental issue of how accessible immigration offices are, in general, for those with mobility challenges. Certainly my local office (Rayong) has a ramp leading up to the front door from the pavement, but are they the exception rather than the rule in this regard as far as immigration offices are concerned?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Allied to the various points raised in this thread, I think, is the fundamental issue of how accessible immigration offices are, in general, for those with mobility challenges. Certainly my local office (Rayong) has a ramp leading up to the front door from the pavement, but are they the exception rather than the rule in this regard as far as immigration offices are concerned?

I have in the past visited offices at Chaeng Wattana Bangkok, Soi Suan Plu Bangkok, Imperial Lad Prao Bangkok, Kap Choeng Surin, and Buriram.  All have ramps and or dropped curbs.  Some have wheelchairs available too.  The only ramp that I could find at Imperial was tucked away behind some stalls, very steep, and required a step up a high curb to access it.  Maybe there's an easier ramp elsewhere in the building.  The ramp at Kap Choeng is steep but short.  All other immigration office ramps that I've seen are OK.

At Phuket Immi a lot of processes are carried out upstairs 2 flights, no ramp, no elevator.

That's preventing me from changing to an extension based on marriage.

After many complaints a new office was opened on the ground floor for extensions based on retirement.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, NancyL said:

They can get medical extensions, good for a maximum of 90 days.  People who come here on 30 day visa exempt entry can get medical extensions.  They can be done back-to-back without limit as long as the inability to travel exists.  People are here on medical extensions for years.

In theory, if you are able and can take transport to Immigration.

In practice, not as straight forward as it reads on Police Orders.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not a problem getting your wife to do your extention.

Being paraplegic it is not easy for me to get to immigration in Khonkaen.

My wife does mine no problem with immigration what so ever.

Maybe now.

I remember your original tales of the problems you had with Immigration after your unfortunate accident.

14 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

At Phuket Immi a lot of processes are carried out upstairs 2 flights, no ramp, no elevator.

That's preventing me from changing to an extension based on marriage.

After many complaints a new office was opened on the ground floor for extensions based on retirement.

This, of course, begs the question as to the ease of access within individual offices where operations are carried out on more than one floor (which is not an issue at my local office). Do difficulties similar to those described by Evilbaz for Phuket exist at other offices?

But at least the general position on getting into offices seems to be a lot rosier than I had expected when penning post #36!