Payap University - Are Their Degrees Internationally Recognized?

Slated

I posted this on the CM board, but as people outside of CM may have knowledge of Payap, I also wanted to post it here.

Like the topic says.....

Their prices are nice (need to be froogle), and their course lists seem up to par.....

Will the degrees be recognized by companies or other graduate schools?

Thanks!!!

I had to look up Payap University because I had no idea who or what they where.

The fact that I had to do such a thing should answer your question.

Having said that however, ask yourself what it is you are hoping to achieve. Do you want a degree that imparts knowledge and skills onto you through a mechanism of hard work and applied mental thought from you so that you can then go on and improve yourself and your career opps or are you just after a certificate to hang on the wall?

Perhaps you should think hard about that one...

I've heard that Payap is on the official list of schools that the Veterans Administration of the USA has for approved schooling, but that doesn't mean much.

Companies inside Thailand would 'recognize' the name, but rank it below Chula, CMU, Ramk, etc. Companies outside Thailand wouldn't know it. That's just my guess.

Any of the European ThaiVisa members heard of Rio Hodo Community College, College of Charleston, or Alabama A&M? I'm sure there are many great univeristies in Europe that I would have to look up the name to as well.

The International College at Payap University is in charge of the English programs of instruction at Payap University. Payap is a private univeristy founded by the Church of Christ.

PeaceBlondie is correct, Payap does have degree producing programs that are approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for administration of financial aid. The VA doesn't give their stamp of approval lightly. Their website says their approval is only given to accredited institutions. Overseas universities have a very strigient process they must pass to get approved.

I am planning on attending in August, 2007 as soon as the VA approves the course that I am requesting and my application for VA financial aid. (VEAP).

If your in Chiang Mai, stop by the International College at Payap Univeristy and ask for more information. The head of the admissions department is a retired U.S. Navy sailor.

Any of the European ThaiVisa members heard of Rio Hodo Community College, College of Charleston, or Alabama A&M? I'm sure there are many great univeristies in Europe that I would have to look up the name to as well.

The International College at Payap University is in charge of the English programs of instruction at Payap University. Payap is a private univeristy founded by the Church of Christ.

PeaceBlondie is correct, Payap does have degree producing programs that are approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for administration of financial aid. The VA doesn't give their stamp of approval lightly. Their website says their approval is only given to accredited institutions. Overseas universities have a very strigient process they must pass to get approved.

I am planning on attending in August, 2007 as soon as the VA approves the course that I am requesting and my application for VA financial aid. (VEAP).

If your in Chiang Mai, stop by the International College at Payap Univeristy and ask for more information. The head of the admissions department is a retired U.S. Navy sailor.

C'mon man, it's a paper mill. Seems to be run by people who got some of their higher degrees from paper mills too, Check out some of these alma maters:

http://ic.payap.ac.th/

What is good about Payap though, is that they do have some knock out looking girls attending there.

In Chiang mai, CMU a far better choice academically: http://www.cmu.ac.th/glance_eng.htm

http://www.cmu.ac.th/generalinformation_eng.htm

Edited by lannarebirth

richard, do you mean Rio Hondo Community College? I attended South Oklahoma City Junior College (sock-jock) and used to get free internet at Univ. of Texas-Brownsville/Texas Southmost College, Port Isabel Branch (there's also a South Padre Island branch, one of three island campuses in Texas). My point is that, unless you're getting hired locally, or hired into a top position in your field, it's not critical that you went to Oxbridge, Ivy League, Stanford, or even Chulalongkorn. In the TEFL field in Thailand, an MA-TESOL might open some doors.

For example, the current vague requirements from the current vague Ministry of Education makes no distinction between a BA from Harvard or from Texas Southmost College.

Just got off the phone with Chulalongkorn.

They said they do not accept any transfer credits, and I will have to start as a first semester student.

Sorry, no thanks (I didn't spend 60k USD at a private US Uni to have the credits ALL turned down.

I'm meeting with the dean of BKK Uni tomorrow, and still considering Payap, since BKK only has a BBA in marketing

They said they do not accept any transfer credits, and I will have to start as a first semester student.

Sorry, no thanks (I didn't spend 60k USD at a private US Uni to have the credits ALL turned down.

I'm meeting with the dean of BKK Uni tomorrow, and still considering Payap, since BKK only has a BBA in marketing

Hey Slated,

Try this. Contact the school in America you attended and find out which Thai Universities THEY will accept transfer credits from. Then apply to that school. Then with a semester or so to go, return to your original university overseas for a degree from there.

Actually that's not entirely true as Chula does accept credit transfers for similar type programs. The questions that need asking are: a) What degree are you looking to study at Chula, b.) Does it have similar content to the course you wish to study at Chula, c) Who did you actually talk to at Chula because depending on who you spoke to will get you a very different answer and d) what credits from previous study are you specifically hoping to transfer?

Edited by Casanundra

I'm going BBA to BBA, so all the courses cross over, and I explained this to the lady.

She said that the Thai board of education can not accept credits from schools outside of Thailand, and I would have to begin all programs from the first year first semester.

I've already taken: micro &macro econ, acct I&II, bus. 101, etc. etc. etc.

Hey Slated,

Try this. Contact the school in America you attended and find out which Thai Universities THEY will accept transfer credits from. Then apply to that school. Then with a semester or so to go, return to your original university overseas for a degree from there.

my school was 22k USD a year. Here school is only 1k USD/semester.

I'd ratherr start my degree from the begining than enroll again in the states.

Hey Slated,

my school was 22k USD a year. Here school is only 1k USD/semester.

I'd ratherr start my degree from the begining than enroll again in the states.

Most schhols I'm aware of in America, require 50% of your credit hours to be from that school in order to issue a degree. What I'm saying is, see if the coursers you take here can be transferred to America for credit for your degree issued from America. Careerwise the American degree has more value. Unless you can't find comparable curriculum, you still pay Thai rates if you, catch my drift.

C'mon man, it's a paper mill. Seems to be run by people who got some of their higher degrees from paper mills too, Check out some of these alma maters:

What is good about Payap though, is that they do have some knock out looking girls attending there.

In Chiang mai, CMU a far better choice academically: http://www.cmu.ac.th/glance_eng.htm

You really don't know the definition of a papermill. The curriculum of the courses at Payap are avaliable for you to read off the internet. Papermills generally do not require you to attend but this has 4 years of instruction associated with it.

Payap also has 4 English BA programs and 4 English MA programs where CMU only offers nursing and engineering taught in English.

You mentioned that CMU is a far better choice academically but I have heard the same thing about Payap being far better than CMU. I guess it depends on who you want to believe. More people go to CMU because it is a cheap school to attend.

Also, Payap has been around a lot longer than CMU.

They are probably both good schools to attend.

I'm going BBA to BBA, so all the courses cross over, and I explained this to the lady.

She said that the Thai board of education can not accept credits from schools outside of Thailand, and I would have to begin all programs from the first year first semester.

I've already taken: micro &macro econ, acct I&II, bus. 101, etc. etc. etc.

What she said is completely false, maybe she was talking about CU's board.

Well, atleast BUIC will accept transferred credits, if them match their required courses.

I have to wonder if it’s worth attending Uni in Thailand, I know a Thai couple who got their degrees in Thailand but couldn’t get a decent job because most multinational companies only considered graduates with degrees from outside Thailand. I asked them why and they said it’s because it’s too easy to buy a degree and plagiarism is the norm here.

That is understandable employers may not be willing to take a chance spending money on training recruits whose education is questionable. The investment involved training a graduate to be productive can be substantial. Not knowing whether they obtained their degree through hard work or a donation to an administrator only adds to that risk.

They decided to attend Uni in Sweden which was difficult on them and their families financially. They both eventually dropped out because the language barrier and course material was too difficult. They are both working now but make a bit over 20000 /month it is sad because both of them did work hard for their degrees.

You really don't know the definition of a papermill. The curriculum of the courses at Payap are avaliable for you to read off the internet. Papermills generally do not require you to attend but this has 4 years of instruction associated with it.

Payap also has 4 English BA programs and 4 English MA programs where CMU only offers nursing and engineering taught in English.

You mentioned that CMU is a far better choice academically but I have heard the same thing about Payap being far better than CMU. I guess it depends on who you want to believe. More people go to CMU because it is a cheap school to attend.

For one thing, CMU has been around longer than Payap. CMU - 1964, Payap - 1974. A lot of private schools in Thailand are papermills. All the students have to do is pay for tuition and do the very minimal. Then four years later they get a degree. These schools don't flunk you as long as your check clears. Unlike the US, the best schools are the government ones and not the private universities. The private universities are for the purpose of making money and not educating.

Your decision should mainly depend on what you plan on doing with your degree. If you just plan on teaching in Thailand, any bachelor degree will do. If you want to have an office job in Thailand, it would probably be best to go home and go to a state university since they are in your price range. If you have a Thai degree, businesses in Thailand will treat you the same as a Thai employee with the same low wage. If you plan on leaving Thailand, definitely go back to the US and finish your degree at a state school. I know a professor here that went to Chula for undergrad and then to the US for her Master and Ph.d. I asked her if Ph.d programs in the US respect Bachelor degrees from Thailand when Thais apply. She told me that only Chula and Thammasat are truly respected, though ABAC and BU are starting to get some respect.

Remember that a state school back home will be the same price as a top international program here. I went to a state school that has one of the top business schools in the US and my tuition was $2,500 a semester (class of '02). Thammasat and other like international programs are the same price.

If it was me, I would go back to the US for a couple years and get a top rated education that is respected all over the world. You will live a long time, so going back for couple of years for decades of reward afterwards is not a bad trade off. Thailand will still be here.

Hey Slated,

Check out my alma mater. They will accept your transfer credits (but you must attend 3 years). Between your GI Bill VA benefits, California state education grants, Pell grants, you should have very little to pay. You'll graduate with a merchant marine officers license as well a BSc degree. 100% placement of graduates this year at better than average salaries. I see they're also working on a "study abroad" program. A lot different than in my day:

http://www.csum.edu/Academics/index.asp

OK, maybe it's a great school, which offers a diploma that will position you to take advantage of myriad offers in fields that excite, challange and reward you. All i'm saying is, if I'm hiring, and the candidate sends me a resume with Payap on it, it goes to the bottom of the pile or in the bin.

Well I don't know if he is still the president of Phayap or has retired by now, but Dr. Amnuay received his PhD from a respected American university and whenever I met him he came across as a most dedicated educator.

Phayap was always a very good 4 year college, with a lesser pedigree at attaining university status. Not being a government school, not a Royally supported university, it was not in the same class (nor could it lay claim if it was) as the big three (Thamma, Chula, and CMU) but Phayap's undergraduate program is, for better or worse, right there with the other better 4-year institutions in the Kingdom.

Well I don't know if he is still the president of Phayap or has retired by now, but Dr. Amnuay received his PhD from a respected American university and whenever I met him he came across as a most dedicated educator.

Phayap was always a very good 4 year college, with a lesser pedigree at attaining university status. Not being a government school, not a Royally supported university, it was not in the same class (nor could it lay claim if it was) as the big three (Thamma, Chula, and CMU) but Phayap's undergraduate program is, for better or worse, right there with the other better 4-year institutions in the Kingdom.

I don't mean to rap Payap specifically, I'm sure it's just as good as any other third tier college in Thailand. My point is, if you're a young westerner in need of an education to establish a career (other than as an english teacher), why would you attend Payap when there are other, better choices available to you, even in Thailand.

I was going to put up the Higher Education Commission's rankings but their site is down:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/pag...amp;id=30012468