Man jailed for making, selling beer seeks bail

Jonathan Fairfield

Man jailed for making, selling beer seeks bail
By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

beer-696x539.jpg

Taopiphop Limjittrakorn at the Rattanathibet Police Station on Tuesday in the northern metro Bangkok province of Nonthaburi.

NONTHABURI — A Bangkok man arrested for making and selling beer at home said he expects to be released on bail Tuesday morning after spending three days in jail.

Taopiphop Limjittrakorn was being held at the Rattanathibet Police Station in Nonthaburi where he was set to appear in court for a bail hearing after being charged with four offenses relating to the production and sale of alcohol without a license or proper taxation.

He was arrested at his home after police got word he was opening his doors for people to purchase his home brew. Making beer or any alcohol outside of a factory or licensed brew pub is illegal, but that hasn’t stopped a burgeoning craft beer scene from getting to work with yeast, hops and barley.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/courts/2017/01/24/jailed-brewer-seeks-bail/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-01-24

Online campaign kicked off to liberate craft beer making
By The Nation

bc9813ceb6eb33ef6e005308e874e325.jpeg

Photo from Change.org' s campaign page.

NONTHABURI: -- An arrest of a law graduate who made his own beer for self-consumption and sale led to heated online debates and a campaign on Change.org for the authorities to liberate craft beer making.

Thaopipop Limjitkorn, 28, was arrested over the weekend after Excise Department officials raided his three-storey shop house and found tools for making craft beer.

The man, who graduated from a law school, said he loved beer so he invented his own formula for making good-taste craft beer. He decided to bottle them for sale after his friends said they also loved the taste.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30304806

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-24

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

3 days in jail so far for illegally making and selling beer? Yet the Mercedes driver who killed those two university students spent how long in jail?

I feel that they have much larger fish to fry than this little guy. Maybe he was not selling it to the right connected hi-so's. 

there are SO many others that rightfully belong in that jail cell.

2 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

Seriously? A 28 year old law graduate who didn't consider that he might just need a licence if he was doing it commercially. Won't be going to *that* Law School any time soon!

In the other thread he was a science graduate. Maybe he's going for a third degree in business administration right now. Or Somchai the Master Reporter screwed it up yet again.

Very good to see they are concentrating their efforts on the serious stuff..........

I daresay we should have some cheerleaders along soon to applaud the zeal with which the law is being upheld, bit of a firkin joke really like most things in la la land

Used to make my own beer in U-brews in Canada.

High end operation, imported all the hops etc. from abroad.

It was wonderful. Made great ales, stouts etc. for the same price as Bud <deleted> .

I wish they'd open something like that here. The big breweries think everyone wants to drink their crappy lagers and imported ales etc are very expensive.

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Very good to see they are concentrating their efforts on the serious stuff..........

I daresay we should have some cheerleaders along soon to applaud the zeal with which the law is being upheld, bit of a firkin joke really like most things in la la land

"......,bit of a firkin joke....." 

Good post, vat is very funny, you're a barrel of laughs. Which beer do you prefer may I c ask?:drunk:

I wonder what he really risks and why he didn't pay the cops immediately ?

Also, I wonder how to avoid that these journashiiit report about you when cops visit you ? I have no respect for these dogs and I would have more chance to be jailed for hitting one of these "news" beggars than for what I could have done wrong.

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Must protect beer monopoly at all costs.  

I'm so sick of asking what beer they have only to hear the mantra "sing, Heineken, Leo, Chang" That's it. Everywhere. 

Then you order a chang only for them to tell you -'no have' What happened to Kloster beer?

Edited by thai3

I wish one of the big monopolies would wake up and see the growing demand here for some quality beer. They have the facilities, put out an IPA, maybe a decent lager, something darker like a stout. Charge 75 baht a bottle at 7/11 if it's good quality, im sure plenty of people would buy it. It's just easier to keep producing that horrible piss that they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

40 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

So where can you buy malt, hops and barley? Of course I don't intend to make beer. Just curious.:saai: 

If you used those words on Google and put Thailand after them. You'd be surprised what comes up... So much is locally available and most offer free delivery.

2 hours ago, Bung said:

Must protect beer monopoly at all costs.  

I'm so sick of asking what beer they have only to hear the mantra "sing, Heineken, Leo, Chang" That's it. Everywhere. 

Here the fancy bars/restaurant have huge signs of "HOEGAARDEN"....guess where i choose to eat??

I've also seen "PAULANER" signs...

If they don't sell those 2 beers i'll drink cola sangsom or just water.

I wonder how much of this legislation outlawing home brew is directly related to lobbying effort by corporations that product beer.  I certainly isn't a morality issue and the US went through this in the early 20th century.  Now the US has micro-breweries, and really good beer.  Not the commercial panther-piss that was passed off a beer.  :laugh:

8 hours ago, DrTuner said:

In the other thread he was a science graduate. Maybe he's going for a third degree in business administration right now. Or Somchai the Master Reporter screwed it up yet again.

Somchai simply jumped to conclusion. Making beer = Him chemist. 

Same thinking as:

Farang = him rich

Farang = him no eat rice in farangland

Farang = him cannot eat suhpicy

Etc...

6 hours ago, tominbkk said:

I wish one of the big monopolies would wake up and see the growing demand here for some quality beer. They have the facilities, put out an IPA, maybe a decent lager, something darker like a stout. Charge 75 baht a bottle at 7/11 if it's good quality, im sure plenty of people would buy it. It's just easier to keep producing that horrible piss that they do.

Im not so sure about that. I have bought special beers here and my thai friends disliked them vely vely.... same way i have offered them brown rice and they prefer the white crap.... same way i have made them a real suhpagetti which they then pimped/ruined with ketchup and fish sauce..... same way i (etc).... most thai are very rigid/uniform!

20 hours ago, korkenzieher said:

Seriously? A 28 year old law graduate who didn't consider that he might just need a licence if he was doing it commercially. Won't be going to *that* Law School any time soon!

Maybe he is on the right path from law school, it takes action to change the law which stunts small brewers which has been unchanged since the 50's.  What a noble endeavor, making beer.  Should be legalized to increase commerce...and some craft beers in Thailand would not hurt.  I for one would love to see the creativity of Thai local brewers.

Just now, Saraburi121 said:

Maybe he is on the right path from law school, it takes action to change the law which stunts small brewers which has been unchanged since the 50's.  What a noble endeavor, making beer.  Should be legalized to increase commerce...and some craft beers in Thailand would not hurt.  I for one would love to see the creativity of Thai local brewers.

Me to. Chang could stand being given a run for their money. 

8 minutes ago, Saraburi121 said:

Maybe a pale ale or an IPA with a hint of Thai chili.......

19 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I agree with you but look at the figures, Leo and Chang alone account for over 90% of all beer sold in Thailand. This is where the profit is for Thai Bev and Singha Corporation/Boonrawd Brewery. They have no need to diversify because....

there is no competition. It is not allowed.

TAPB is "allowed" to dominate the far smaller premium market with Heineken as the main seller.

Job done. Stitch up. No need to innovate or introduce better products when you have a rigged market.

Edited by Briggsy