Govt plans to buy Chinese submarine this year: Prawit

snoop1130

Govt plans to buy Chinese submarine this year: Prawit

By The Nation 

d8b419e365e3ff6d5eec37c9111b4c70.jpeg

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan Tuesday confirmed the Royal Thai Navy would buy a Chinese-built submarine this year after the legislators approved an annual budget.

The Royal Thai Navy earlier proposed to buy three Chinese-built submarines for a combined price of Bt36 billion. The plan features the acquisition of S26T diesel-electric submarines, which is a modified export version of the Yuanclass (Type 041). The first submarine would cost around Bt13.5 billion under its fiscal 2017 budget, according to the Royal Thai Navy. 

“The Thai Navy requires the submarines to maintain military balance in the region because other neighbouring countries already have them. It will help protect sovereignty as well as explore marine resource in Andaman sea,” he said.

Full Story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30304815

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-1-24

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess:

It is all about the commission which will be paid to a certain group of people. 4% from 36,000,000,000 is about 1,400,000,000 which is roughly 40,000,000 EUR,$ or Swiss Francs. The 4% is an estimate from the Rolls Royce deal. Maybe it's more here.

But maybe the "deciders" are all married to rich partners and they are the "good" people, so no need to worry about corruption, like one general lectured us about before.

Edited by hanuman2543

The only thing I can think they want them for is people smuggling as they got caught with the surface vessels, they will probably sink them in 3 months, dive dive dive and leave the hatches open for fresh air

boys and there toys

Repair the god dam roads first mr PM and get water and electricity to those who have not got any might be a better idea

2 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

The only thing I can think they want them for is people smuggling as they got caught with the surface vessels, they will probably sink them in 3 months, dive dive dive and leave the hatches open for fresh air

boys and there toys

Repair the god dam roads first mr PM and get water and electricity to those who have not got any might be a better idea

Yes or build a proper watersystem to stop the floodings/droughts.....

NLA approves Bt13 billion for first submarine, Prawit confirms
By THE NATION

d6973f82c5a35d836404b1e2f5bed3c4.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- THE Royal Thai Navy’s long-held dream to have submarines looks set to be realised as the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) has approved funding to buy the first of three vessels, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday.

“The Thai Navy requires submarines to maintain a military balance in the region because other neighbouring countries already have them. It will help protect our sovereignty, as well as our abundant marine resources, notably in the Andaman Sea,” Prawit said.

The Navy proposed buying three Chinese-built submarines for a total of Bt36 billion. The plan features the acquisition of S26T diesel-electric submarines, which are modified export versions of the Yuan-class (Type 041). 

The first submarine will cost around Bt13.5 billion under fiscal budget 2017, according to the Navy. The annual budget was approved in a fiscal bill last September.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30304856

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-25

A friend, the Admiral who is behind the purchase, told me on 28th August 2016, that they can only afford one submarine although they want three. Even then, as I understand it, they will be paying for them over a period of years. At least they are going to park it in the Andaman Sea, as the Gulf of Thailand is too shallow for submarines to properly submerge without scraping the bottom or knocking the conning tower off on the underside of a ship.

The article is wrong, this i snot their first submarine, Thailand used to have submarines until the '60s. Not sure exactly how a submarine is going to protect marine life and the environment.

Economic stimulus.

Thailand used to have submarines until the '60s. 

Close, 1951. After RTN sub-mariners staged an unsuccessful counter-coup, Manhattan Rebellion, all subs were decommissioned, long story/history, most of which cannot be discussed.

Edited by mtls2005

13 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

My guess:

It is all about the commission which will be paid to a certain group of people. 4% from 36,000,000,000 is about 1,400,000,000 which is roughly 40,000,000 EUR,$ or Swiss Francs. The 4% is an estimate from the Rolls Royce deal. Maybe it's more here.

But maybe the "deciders" are all married to rich partners and they are the "good" people, so no need to worry about corruption, like one general lectured us about before.

4% ?  i thought the standard graft add-on was 30 percent.  Meanwhile,  many people in thailand exist on a dollar a day.