Short Visa Extension to Tourist Visa

Please excuse my ignorance but i get confused ever time I try to sort out the Thai visa rules.
I did not bother to get a formal visa this time when i came to visit with my Thai wife, (for various reasons) including the fact that I suspected we might be visiting a neighboring country.

Turns out we will be visiting Malaysia for a few days in Feb. But we will not be leaving Thailand until 5-7 days after the 30 day visitor visa that was issued to me upon my arrival. Can I get a short-time extension (5-7 day) to that 30 day visa without a lot of difficulty?

I think I can (or have in the past) gotten a 60 day extension to my tourist visa by paying some additional fee here in Khon Kaen. But if I were to go that route, wouldn't that extra visa time be worthless as soon as I left on the trip to Malaysia. Then I would have to get yet another visa when I re-entered Thailand??

Edited by boatguy

The 7 days or the 30 day standard extension for a visa exempt entry or a 60 day extension to visit your wife would all have a fee of 1900 baht.

Perhap the 60 day extension with a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) so you would need to do a visa exempt entry after your trip.

• Like 1

The OP's post is a little confusing. As I read it, he's coming in on a 30 day visa exempt, and within that 30 days, he will be going to Malaysia. He will then return to Thailand and be leaving after a period a few days more than his original 30 day visa exempt (i.e., his time from arrival to departure, including his trip to Malaysia will be a few days more than 30). If I've read it right, then he will get another 30 day visa exemption when he returns from Malaysia, meaning that he's covered for his stay and doesn't need to do anything. But I may have misunderstood his post. If he's staying more than 30 days after he returns from Malaysia, then he'll need an extension.

Edited by nisakiman

I share @ubonjoe's interpretation of the OP, and think his solution of a 60-day extension and re-entry permit may be a good solution, depending on when the OP next intends departing Thailand after his return to Thailand from Malaysia. However, if they will be spending time in Penang or Kota Bharu, getting a tourist visa for the return could provide greater flexibility (as well as saving the 1,000 baht for the re-entry permit).

5 hours ago, nisakiman said:

The OP's post is a little confusing. As I read it, he's coming in on a 30 day visa exempt, and within that 30 days, he will be going to Malaysia.

The OP wrote this.

11 hours ago, boatguy said:

Turns out we will be visiting Malaysia for a few days in Feb. But we will not be leaving Thailand until 5-7 days after the 30 day visitor visa that was issued to me upon my arrival.

He needs to get an extension of some kind.

I'm sorry I was confusing with my posting. I will not be leaving for Malaysia until 7 days after my initial 30 day visitor visa has expired. So I need to get and extension of some sort.

From what I had read on the postings thus far, I might be able to get a 60 day extension with one re-entry  permit? That would cover my 7 day overstay before I go on the trip, and then allow me to re-enter after my short stay in Malaysia to spend the rest of the up-to-60 days?

That would cost me 1900 baht for the 60 day extension, then another 1000 baht for the re-entry ?? Is that a correct interpretation?

BTW, how does one get a notification that the subject has been replied to? If I try to check that little box at the bottom it appears to  put a 'x' in the box for notification??

9 hours ago, boatguy said:

I'm sorry I was confusing with my posting. I will not be leaving for Malaysia until 7 days after my initial 30 day visitor visa has expired. So I need to get and extension of some sort.
From what I had read on the postings thus far, I might be able to get a 60 day extension with one re-entry  permit? That would cover my 7 day overstay before I go on the trip, and then allow me to re-enter after my short stay in Malaysia to spend the rest of the up-to-60 days?

That would cost me 1900 baht for the 60 day extension, then another 1000 baht for the re-entry ?? Is that a correct interpretation?
BTW, how does one get a notification that the subject has been replied to? If I try to check that little box at the bottom it appears to  put a 'x' in the box for notification??

There is no might about getting the 60 day extension. Your wife will need to be with you when you apply. You will need your marriage certificate plus a copy, copies of her house book registry and ID card.

Getting the 60 day extension (1900 baht) and single re-entry permit (1000 baht) would insure you would not be questioned about doing another visa exempt entry which is not likely if you are flying back in but it can happen.

To follow this topic look at the top of this page and click on follow.