How cheap can you get a laptop for in Bangkok?

finy

I'm just looking for a throwaway I can leave in guest house room without worrying about.

Doesn't need to great, just use for writing and nothing else.

How long do the batteries on them last?

cheers

Brand New around 7,000 baht upwards........... 2nd hand around 1,500 baht in working order..

Battery life depends, on a 2nd hand one + to be kept in your room, spend 75 baht and get an extension lead use it plugged into mains.

29 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Sounds like a Chromebook would fit the bill.

I wouldn't waste my money on one those underpowered things with minuscule storage.

Ok if you need portability and long battery life...but I would prefer a second user laptop with an SSD fitted.

23 minutes ago, JamJar said:

I wouldn't waste my money on one those underpowered things with minuscule storage.

Ok if you need portability and long battery life...but I would prefer a second user laptop with an SSD fitted.

Yeah I use iPad already, so a bigger one would be good for a while.

Jamjar, we're not really talking about what you would do, are we?

The OP said: " I'm just looking for a throwaway I can leave in guest house room without worrying about. Doesn't need to great <sic> , just use for writing and nothing else."

So why waste money on a laptop when a cheap Chromebook would almost certainly meet those criteria?

How much is a chrome book anyway?

if I'm going to stay in BkK the battery life would be good for working outside, but I wouldn't need it for CM.

I found an old 17" laptop for about 4,700 bht.

was thinking about getting that as thieves would probably leave it anyway lol

Do old large laptops have poor wifi connection and hurt the eyes?

That is only problem I'm facing trying to decide at moment.

50 minutes ago, zorro1 said:

Unless you need a lap top for work then best just buy a good tablet. Something like a Samsung 10.1

For me i got a good deal on a Lenovo G40-70 and turned it into a Macintosh laptop that set me back about 10,000 best deal for us so far in Thailand this laptop i've got rated as a MacBook Pro Late 2013 and i spent another 5,000 on a 24ich led screen and got these from tesco ..  but stay well clear of low end Acer because they don't last and talking from experience op i've gone thought about 5 in the last 3 years to honest with you stick with this in order Lenovo, Dell, Asus.. 

Edited by Nicolas32

The problem with second hand is that often the battery is worn out already.

For writing, the keyboard is important.

I would look for something mall and cheap, a 10 inch ASUS for example. Should be available new for around 7000 baht.

Could try this,

- Raspberrry Pi3  about Bt1600

- micro SD card min 8 Gb , better 16 GB for persistent storage Bt 250

- Logitech keyboards+mouse Bt 600

- power supply Bt 250

and just plug it in the HDMI socket of a TV set.

- use Pixel as OS, with a persistent setup, for storing some stuff on the microchip

Edited by ardsong

anybody know why it is not possible to replace the rechargeable batteries mounted inside a laptop battery?

it would save a lot of money.

a problem seems to be that the connectors for the rechargeable batteries are welded to the connectors and not soldered.

the process can be quite dangerous.

there was a report of a shop in an it mall that would replace them for you.

Old hardware will probably have an old Wifi adapter, 802.11g or even b.

But you can buy a Wifi adapter if need be.

As pointed out, the problem with second hand gear is the batteries have a limited number of cycles, and with old ones you'll find them well used, which means it won't hold charge for as along.

Anyway, I think a Chromebook is your best bet given your stated needs.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

ForrestGumpTomhanksasForrestGump_zps1d00

30 minutes ago, ardsong said:

Could try this,

- Raspberrry Pi3  about Bt1600

- micro SD card min 8 Gb , better 16 GB for persistent storage Bt 250

- Logitech keyboards+mouse Bt 600

- power supply Bt 250

and just plug it in the HDMI socket of a TV set.

- use Pixel as OS, with a persistent setup, for storing some stuff on the microchip

yes i was thinking the same only the arm cpu is very slow.

also no sata port so a hard drive need to be connected to a usb port.

where would you go looking for this sort of stuff?

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

anybody know why it is not possible to replace the rechargeable batteries mounted inside a laptop battery?

it would save a lot of money.

a problem seems to be that the connectors for the rechargeable batteries are welded to the connectors and not soldered.

the process can be quite dangerous.

there was a report of a shop in an it mall that would replace them for you.

I have seen laptop batteries for sale in a computer shop, why would they sell them if it was not possible to replace them?

Chicog, you keep banging on about Chromebooks, but haven't answered the OP's question of how much?
He has asked more than once and it is also the main question in the title subject.

....and yes we are talking about what I would do. Since the OP wants suggestions from people with experience.

So...how much are you suggesting that he spends on a 'throwaway' Chromebook and from whence can he obtain it?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/932040-why-no-chromebooks-in-thailand/

Back to the question at hand.

A throwaway laptop does not need to have ac WiFi capability. I seem to be doing ok here with a nearly nine year old Netbook. An 802.11n USB adapter if necessary, costs perhaps 200 to 300 baht.
Cost me even less: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LB-LINK-Mini-150Mbps-USB-Wireless-Wifi-Dongle-Adapter-802-11-B-G-N-LAN-Network-/221759559640
I have no idea how we without 802.11ac adapters have managed to cope....

The battery is the main consideration here, if the OP won't have access to a power point whilst outside.

As to crazy suggestions of paying 12000 baht for an eleven year old DELL laptop.....words fail me.

finy...what brand and model number the 17" laptop?
Will have a very poor battery life, as an older 17" machine.

39 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Chicog, you keep banging on about Chromebooks, but haven't answered the OP's question of how much?
He has asked more than once and it is also the main question in the title subject.

....and yes we are talking about what I would do. Since the OP wants suggestions from people with experience.

So...how much are you suggesting that he spends on a 'throwaway' Chromebook and from whence can he obtain it?

Lazada have a 15k Chromebook and a 9k Chromebox.

Dell, HP and Acer all sell them in Thailand so I would imagine a trip to Fortune or Panthip would give some other alternatives.

6 hours ago, finy said:

Not too sure about the details of the 17".

ill probably just head to somewhere and buy from there.

does everyone thank Pantip is best place to go?

I prefer Fortune Town these days, but I haven't been to Panthip since they supposedly cleaned it up.

Panthip always had loads of really old stock laying around.

Fortune is right next to Rama 9 MRT so really easy to get to.

3 hours ago, StefanBBK said:

Suggest acer switch 2 in1 . Little over 7k. Add a memory card. Long lasting battery, no charger as it uses regular USB charging and speedy enough for anything but complex gaming etc.

That's a really nifty little box. Good find.