Family of Brit gunned down in Pattaya say they have no idea why he was targeted

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Website designer?  yeah well.  There is no way he made legitimate money doing that to live the lifestyle or spent the money he seems to.  The jig is up young man and you found that out the hard way.  You want passive income?  Buy bonds, dividend paying stocks or invest in rental property, instead of fees and vig from booking operations.

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I doubt we will ever hear the true story. The alleged hit man will never be traced and any links to 'boiler rooms' or other unsanctioned enterprises will be suppressed. I doubt the Thai police want to crack down on these sort of enterprises. It could get very embarrassing for all concerned. 

other posts indicate they have identified the suspects, the guys used their IDs to rent the motorbike and on the same day had crossed the border into Cambodia.  What happens next might depend on what the UK does or asks or pressures THailand to do.  My guess is the computer and immigration search will continue for a while.  If they grab the guys in Cambodia who knows next?

12 hours ago, z42 said:

Lots and lots of speculation doing the rounds. I think it is fair to assume that the rosy picture being painted is a veneer for a guy neck deep in 1 or more shady goings on.

The sun (awful rag I know) even talk of the time when he met the big cheese himself.

I think it's a given this 1 is gonna go on the "unsolvable" or "scapegoat needed" pile. 

I feel for the guy's wife and kids. Just hope he has set them up in a meaningful way

The BBC news said that he had only got married in November.Maybe the sister thinks 5 years because of the party when you meet.Some farangs think its a wedding.they dont understand that its a show of face.Even though they will try to make it look like a wedding and try to get you to give a dowry.Its to do with the wife.She now has the money and control.they know that they can get at the money and control with him out of the way.This guy had money.If he had problem.He would have just paid up.Then theres no problem.He had 2 children with him.It even said that his wife was involved in dispute.Her answer was .I dont control the money.Now she does.They will make it out that he had dodgy dealings.Police paid off.Closed unsolved case.

The truth be told Thai press and police talk absolute shit to cover there lazy useless ass. This guy probably did very little and these people are night quite right upstairs. It does not take to much here. Even jealous thoughts is enough with these crack heads. My friend once said if I ever run over one. I will reverse back to make sure. Oh only if his a bad man. As you wish.

8 hours ago, penco said:

Nonsense. I know plenty of well paid IT contractors and web designers are probably one of the least sought after skill areas. They're paid a lot less than other more sought after skills and there are so many web designers the market's saturated so contractor rates are low. SAP or other ERM skills, especially architect level are top dollar. Contractors at BMW (they're not even employees) used to get 15% off a new one so effectively it was free as you ditched it after a year and got your money back. The car park was wall to wall Beemers except two Porches, belonging the SAP contractors.

Having worked for 20 years in the industry, I know personally at least ten contract 'web designers' or 'ui designers' or 'graphic designers' that regularly have contracts with UK orgs on a 350 - 400/day GBP rate and 4 or 5 on around 800 USD with US orgs, and a number of them work remotely.

The biggest earner in that field that I know is an extremely talented guy (world class) German guy in his mid twenties that is on 200k USD in a long term rolling contract with a Bay area startup. He worked remotely from Bangkok until very recently. He does have some good ui dev skills as well to be fair, which helps bump his rate.

These are all very experienced and highly talented individuals of course, but their rates certainly are not low as you claim - plenty of well paid web design contracts on offer https://www.cwjobs.co.uk/jobs/ui-designer?Sort=4

Not that I think this guy was earning his income from web design..

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

28 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Having worked for 20 years in the industry, I know personally at least ten contract 'web designers' or 'ui designers' or 'graphic designers' that regularly have contracts with UK orgs on a 350 - 400/day GBP rate and 4 or 5 on around 800 USD with US orgs, and a number of them work remotely.

The biggest earner in that field that I know is an extremely talented guy (world class) German guy in his mid twenties that is on 200k USD in a long term rolling contract with a Bay area startup. He worked remotely from Bangkok until very recently. He does have some good ui dev skills as well to be fair, which helps bump his rate.

These are all very experienced and highly talented individuals of course, but their rates certainly are not low as you claim - plenty of well paid web design contracts on offer https://www.cwjobs.co.uk/jobs/ui-designer?Sort=4

Not that I think this guy was earning his income from web design..

It's' interesting you give those sorts of numbers for potential earnings.   

My daughter has an IT company in Australia, and long ago went through the web design phase, on to more interesting things.  Web design is just too boring, apparently.   She still takes on the business, but subcontracts it out to guys in India at less than A$5.00 an hour, great work, reliable, and fast turnaround, and they earn a lot more than they could working for Indians.

Why would anybody in the business pay more than they have to??

32 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

It's' interesting you give those sorts of numbers for potential earnings.   

My daughter has an IT company in Australia, and long ago went through the web design phase, on to more interesting things.  Web design is just too boring, apparently.   She still takes on the business, but subcontracts it out to guys in India at less than A$5.00 an hour, great work, reliable, and fast turnaround, and they earn a lot more than they could working for Indians.

Why would anybody in the business pay more than they have to??

Depends on the type of website that is being built, for a small marketing site you can often get away with outsourcing the design and get fair results - so long as you're not too concerned about the fact that often the design isn't especially original (and occasionally simply stolen, to the point of risking legal action)

On the other hand, if an organisation is trying to build a global brand akin to, for example, Airbnb, or indeed attempting to reimagine the visual language of a well known entity, then a highly communicative and qualified creative is desirable.

Someone with the ability to incorporate requirements from a multitude of stakeholders that often have conflicting motivations (performance focused engineers vs advertising managers for example - the latter tend to want to throw banners everywhere), the language skills and confidence to push back in a diplomatic and considered manner when they feel strongly about a design decision that is questioned, the ability to identify and consider a variety of user personas when determining the target audience and the disparate requirements of a service that those users may have and then construct wireframes and user journeys for each of those personas. These are just some examples of the facets of a design process that don't tend to occur when outsourcing.

There can be quite a bit to it when building a large scale website or application that is intended for widespread usage.

A similar scenario occurs in development - plenty of dev work gets outsourced to India for very low hourly rates, yet many organisations choose not to do this and opt to pay increasingly extravagant salaries and bonuses, and offer golden handshakes and equity to a relatively small pool of experienced western developers. The Indian devs who are top of their game tend to get imported to the US on a H1B and a high salary - I know a few of them too, some great programmers.

Having worked with projects that have fallen way off the rails after being outsourced, to the point they needed completely rebuilding, I can understand why many companies opt to not do so, or only do so for maintenance work. Worst issue I discovered was a url injection attack that enabled anyone with the technical knowledge to access all the production database content, or wipe it all just by adding a parameter to a url. Peanuts often === monkeys.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

I wasn't accusing you of anything except missing an option--whether he was connected to the wrong people or not is still conjecture. It is especially so, when you consider mistaken identity, isn't it?

well you might think that and I would not be critical of your opinion which you are entitled too, but my opinion differs somewhat from yours, the main reason is the fact that he was driving a big red porsche  which to me would be pretty much hard to mistake it for a Blue Toyota, in my opinion identity was not an issue, whoever did this got the target 100% correct

It might also be worth noting that this hit could have come from outside Thailand but that is speculation on my part, the other thing that stands out to me is the fact that his sister never once mentioned what he did for a living - past or present, all she said was he was dedicated to his family and kids - on her part that to me is a huge omission - maybe something she did not want to mention.

anyway I hope the police here get to the bottom of this

7 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

huh ? The guy supposedly made enough money from designing websites to drive a Porsche and yet relies on a Facebook page to promote his business? where is the swanky website for  "arcanus telecom" itself?

I believe he made his money before coming to Thailand........how he did that remains a mystery but the fact that he was located in Marbella is to me an indication that he was involved in some stuff that the average person would not be, like I said above - someone may have been hunting him down from the past and found him..................gangland hit from outside Thailand, maybe he made off with a pile of money that wasn't his............who knows, one thing I do know- no farang will get rich in Thailand unless they are involved in something dodgy  - drugs - finance - property ......the latter two just generally ripping people off

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I believe he made his money before coming to Thailand........how he did that remains a mystery but the fact that he was located in Marbella is to me an indication that he was involved in some stuff that the average person would not be, like I said above - someone may have been hunting him down from the past and found him..................gangland hit from outside Thailand, maybe he made off with a pile of money that wasn't his............who knows, one thing I do know- no farang will get rich in Thailand unless they are involved in something dodgy  - drugs - finance - property ......the latter two just generally ripping people off

I really have no idea what goes through the minds of you people, i used to think women were all man, but they're nothing when it comes to western expats on Thaivisa.

10 hours ago, thaivisadetective said:

you guys are really not good at finding clues :

His business : https://www.facebook.com/Arcanustelecom/

Legitimate companies don't make FB their *primary* website.  It's to show their "friends".

Funny, this IT guy "forgot" to make a company website.  Guess he was too busy raking in money from...? ?

They may find and charge the murderers with the killing of this man but I`d like bet that the true motives behind this man`s murder will never be divulged, as there is probably too much corruption that may expose some high ups involved.

He may have lived the good life in Thailand but in the end the price was too high that was way above his league and cost him his life. Sad but the consequences were inevitable.  

4 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

They may find and charge the murderers with the killing of this man but I`d like bet that the true motives behind this man`s murder will never be divulged, as there is probably too much corruption that may expose some high ups involved.

He may have lived the good life in Thailand but in the end the price was too high that was way above his league and cost him his life. Sad but the consequences were inevitable.  

Upper working class/ lower middle class wannabee badboys just aren't the real deal.

But you never know he might have been one of those people who couldn't have gived a shyt about such things, occupational hazard and all that.

2 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

He just speculates like most do on here.

Here is my early speculation. Kenway ripped off the Brit in Spain. The Brit made friends with the South African in Cambodia. The Brit flew in and tracked Kenway's movements. The Brit then met with the South African in Cambodia and they crossed over at the Trat crossing after spending some time in Sihanoukville. Did the hit then headed back by bike or suicide van.

12 minutes ago, pegman said:

Here is my early speculation. Kenway ripped off the Brit in Spain. The Brit made friends with the South African in Cambodia. The Brit flew in and tracked Kenway's movements. The Brit then met with the South African in Cambodia and they crossed over at the Trat crossing after spending some time in Sihanoukville. Did the hit then headed back by bike or suicide van.

Possible but he's been in LOS for 7 years so who knows.

The Abel Kid is about to lose his freedom for a bit of money and to show he dont give a <deleted>.

Going to be one nasty hangover that just wont go away when he wakes up.

Fckn rant amateurs though, why not wait until evening and somewhere secluded with no CCTV.

39 minutes ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Possible but he's been in LOS for 7 years so who knows.

The Abel Kid is about to lose his freedom for a bit of money and to show he dont give a <deleted>.

Going to be one nasty hangover that just wont go away when he wakes up.

Fckn rant amateurs though, why not wait until evening and somewhere secluded with no CCTV.

Young & stupid!

15 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

From reading many falang comments here. If those I refer to are on a jury if I'm charged for murder,just because of the car I drive , I would receive the death penalty without listening to the FACTS. So for those iI refer to go get f,,,,ked. and hope you get busted for something you did not do or may not have done! Judge jury an executioner all in one. Some of you. Get a life

Probably their beer glasses that makes them so short sighted.