President Trump signs order to build Mexico border wall

webfact

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, pitrevie said:

But wasn't that the constant refrain from a huge section of the USA for the past 8 years including the present incumbent who doubted Obama's  legitimacy right up until the last few months. Different songbook now is it?

The man got elected on his campaign promises. Up to this point he is doing everything he said he was going to do during that campaign.

2 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Hannity was just as mistaken as IM-Farang. Assuming he is an American.

Obama was every Americans president just as Trump is now.

Sorry to break that fact to all the doubters.

Edited by dcutman

21 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Rather, a promise not yet broken. The executive order is a meaningless gesture.

We shouldn't speculate on events that have not yet occurred…lets talk when they actually happen before jumping the gun.

15 minutes ago, dcutman said:

The man got elected on his campaign promises. Up to this point he is doing everything he said he was going to do during that campaign.

Really?

Can you forward a copy of his tax returns since you obviously have access to them. 

And don't forget to include proof that his assets have been placed in a blind trust to avoid conflicts of interest.

1 hour ago, Tug said:

It's all theater the Mexicans aren't going to pay the tax payers aren't going to pay its all chump oops I mean trump speech 

At least they - the taxpayers would be paying for something closer to home and something they can see rather than funding endless wars - in the name of democracy off course!

Edited by CGW

Is there any doubt the huge contract will go to a US company (prolly one of his or proxy) who use cheap Mexican labor to cut costs, watch this space for the irony thats lost on stump supporters

and will eat crow if proven wrong

7 minutes ago, kaorop said:

Is there any doubt the huge contract will go to a US company (prolly one of his or proxy) who use cheap Mexican labor to cut costs, watch this space for the irony thats lost on stump supporters

and will eat crow if proven wrong

But will the sub-contractors actually get paid?

This is just one of many simple answers to extremely complex issues that appeal to certain types of people. This is the core attraction to populist demogugary. If indeed the way to solve these complex issues was so simple, such as building a 1,800+ mile wall, don't you think these simple solutions would have already been applied to these issues that have been around for decades?

The lack of critical, rational, logical thinking continues to be apparent. How Trump and his supporters react to the pressure and criticism of the continued pointing out of theses mental deficiencies is going to be very interesting. 

TH 

3 hours ago, jackh said:

There you have it. How many "politicians" ever kept their campaign promises? You don't even 1 hand to count them.

In less than 1 week Trump has gone whole hog knocking out every promise he has made. THAT is the difference between politician work verses a real businessman work. Trump is the real deal dedicated to getting the USA back on track and in harmony with it's people's interests.

Now you all can move on and start complaining (phase 2), why the wall won't work, it costs too much, etc. Fact it, he is putting MY money into America and it is all well spent. At least it is being spent in America now. I have complete confidence in his decisions and budget spending.

Agree with you there.

I think many of his promises were unrealistic, not practical and will never work, but he seems to want to keep his promises.

1 hour ago, Bung said:

Aren't most of the Mexicans tunneling into the US? 

40% of illegal immigrants are flying into the country and then overstaying. The wall isn't going to help that, it's just going to cost a lot of money and be a PR nightmare.

11 minutes ago, WaywardWind said:

Really?

Can you forward a copy of his tax returns since you obviously have access to them. 

And don't forget to include proof that his assets have been placed in a blind trust to avoid conflicts of interest.

I am not sure what that has do with him being elected POTUS or what he campaigned on, but you are gonna have to take that up with him. The rest of us are focusing on the important issues we elected him for.

Just now, jcsmith said:

40% of illegal immigrants are flying into the country and then overstaying. The wall isn't going to help that, it's just going to cost a lot of money and be a PR nightmare.

I would like to see a link to that information source, the BS meter is off the charts.

5 minutes ago, dcutman said:

I would like to see a link to that information source, the BS meter is off the charts.

Here's a thorough fact check of it from politifact, who is generally great for this stuff. Looks like it's a mixed bag from politifact. It's definitely a high number but hard to know exactly where.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2015/sep/08/jorge-ramos/ramos-40-undocumented-immigrants-come-air/

Edited by jcsmith

10 minutes ago, thaihome said:

This is just one of many simple answers to extremely complex issues that appeal to certain types of people. This is the core attraction to populist demogugary. If indeed the way to solve these complex issues was so simple, such as building a 1,800+ mile wall, don't you think these simple solutions would have already been applied to these issues that have been around for decades?

The lack of critical, rational, logical thinking continues to be apparent. How Trump and his supporters react to the pressure and criticism of the continued pointing out of theses mental deficiencies is going to be very interesting. 

TH 

Whilst I agree that there are rarely 'simple' answers to a problem - politicians will ignore those rare occasions when there is a 'simple answer' - if it goes against their own financial interests.

I've no views either way on a Mexico border wall and, as I'm not American, my view would be irrelevant anyway - but I seriously doubt that Trump will get the Mexicans to pay for it :lol:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

31 minutes ago, dcutman said:

So you are TV basing as a fact, on an opinion from a news anchor at a Mexican TV station. Really??

Got another source? One that might actually be credible.

TV basing? Nice try. I just gave you a direct link to a fact check of the information from one of the most reliable sites out there for that sort of thing. If you wnat a second fact check of the same statement (when Marco Rubio said it) you can find it here: http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2015/jul/29/marco-rubio/rubio-says-40-percent-illegal-immigrants-are-overs/ And it's rated a Mostly True, the only untruth about it is that it's impossible to know what the actual number is. It's in that ballpark.

That 40% number has been thrown around more than once by a lot more than just a news anchor at a Mexican TV station, including fellow republican Marco Rubio. And according to Politifact it's tough to know how valid it could be. Could be as low as 25%, could also be as high as 57%. Did you even read the article before trying to dismiss it? Whatever the number it is a high number which will not be stopped by a wall. However it is due to the nature of it hard to give an accurate number. The 40% number has certainly not been debunked though. Amusing how people who somehow think 3-5 million people voted illegally (which has plenty of studies to support that being false, and Trump even touted no voter fraud himself just a couple months ago to stop Jill Stein's recount) then act as though quoting a 40% number which if it isn't right is pretty close to it (in an area that is hard to tell for sure) as though that is some sort of fake news.  

And on the second bit of your comment. Let's say that it was only one guy from a Mexican TV station (which it isn't), why would that invalidate what was said or make it less credible given that it has been fact checked. Are you pulling the same nonsense that Trump pulled saying a judge had no credibility because of his Mexican heritage?

The bottom line is that a wall is not going to stop illegal immigrants. It's a mild deterrent at best, but a very expensive one. And Mexico is never going to pay for it. 

Edited by jcsmith

He is just adding on... the wall has been built... this wall is a money maker for the Border patrol and military providers..drones, boats, APCs, ..and of course to the allied US military complex of procedurement...

Just now, Chip Allen said:

A politician of ANY country can never go wrong by scapegoating foreigners. It works because stupid people want to blame their problems on someone else. Personal responsibility is a rare human trait. It's even worse here in Thailand.

That used to be true (in first world countries - to a certain extent) - but its changed nowadays as shown by British politicians during the brexit referendum and American politicians during the last vote.

Nowadays, immigrants are great for the economy according to politicians.

23 minutes ago, dcutman said:

I am not sure what that has do with him being elected POTUS or what he campaigned on, but you are gonna have to take that up with him. The rest of us are focusing on the important issues we elected him for.

You said in the post to which I replied:

He absolutely made it clear throughout the campaign, and even after election, that he would do as every other president him has done: disclose his tax returns and divest his assets so as to avoid potential conflicts of interest.

He has done neither, and now reveals that he has no intention of accomplishing either promise.

Just now, jcsmith said:

TV basing? Nice try. I just gave you a direct link to a fact check of the information from one of the most reliable sites out there for that sort of thing.

I've seen that number thrown around more than once including fellow republican Marco Rubio. And according to Politifact it's tough to know how valid it could be. Could be as low as 25%, could also be higher than 40%. Did you even look at the article? Whatever the number it is a high number which will not be stopped by a wall. However it is due to the nature of it hard to give an accurate number. The 40% number has certainly not been debunked though. Amusing how people who somehow think 3-5 million people voted illegally (which has plenty of studies to support that being false, and Trump even touted no voter fraud himself just a couple months ago to stop Jill Stein's recount) then act as though quoting a 40% number which if it isn't right is pretty close to it (in an area that is hard to tell for sure) as though that is some sort of fake news.  

Lets try and use some logic here. First of all, just to get air ticket you need a valid visa and passport, witch cost several hundred dollars. Next you need to buy the ticket another several hundred dollars. We are, for the most part talking about poor peasants. The last hurdle will be getting through US immigration.  Please, nobody could be that stupid as to believe even 25% of illegals are flying into the US from anywhere south of the boarder or any where else for that matter.

Bash Trump all you want, but to believe and try and make others believe BS stories is just to much.

Just now, WaywardWind said:

You said in the post to which I replied:

He absolutely made it clear throughout the campaign, and even after election, that he would do as every other president him has done: disclose his tax returns and divest his assets so as to avoid potential conflicts of interest.

He has done neither, and now reveals that he has no intention of accomplishing either promise.

Like I said, take it up with him. I dont care about petty BS. As long as the guy does what he told me he was gonna do, I am good with that.

7 minutes ago, dcutman said:

Lets try and use some logic here. First of all, just to get air ticket you need a valid visa and passport, witch cost several hundred dollars. Next you need to buy the ticket another several hundred dollars. We are, for the most part talking about poor peasants. The last hurdle will be getting through US immigration.  Please, nobody could be that stupid as to believe even 25% of illegals are flying into the US from anywhere south of the boarder or any where else for that matter.

Bash Trump all you want, but to believe and try and make others believe BS stories is just to much.

But there you're making a big, big mistake. Illegal immigrants is far from synonamous with poor peasants.

24 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

but I seriously doubt that Trump will get the Mexicans to pay for it 

Totally disagree. A 15% remittance fee will pay for the wall as well as bring in future revenue for border security. Of course there are  many other avenues for payment.

7 minutes ago, dcutman said:

The poster is likely correct.

According to a 2006 Pew Hispanic Center study,1 nearly half of the 12 million-plus illegal aliens in America arrived legally with temporary, non-immigrant visas. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) estimates that a “substantial” percentage of America’s illegal population is made up of visa overstays — their estimates range from 27 to 57 percent.

http://cis.org/us_visas_still_easy_to_get.html

9 minutes ago, dcutman said:

Like I said, take it up with him. I dont care about petty BS. As long as the guy does what he told me he was gonna do, I am good with that.

Take it up with him?  You re the guy who said he was keeping his promises.

His tax returns will show that he has been gaming the system for decades; his failure to divest is  clear indication that he intends to profit substantially from holding the office of the President and, in fact, has already started to do so.

Apparently you see nothing wrong in either.  I find both aspects repugnant.