Germany targets far-right extremists in dozens of raids

webfact

Germany targets far-right extremists in dozens of raids

606x341_355996.jpg

BERLIN: -- German police have carried out dozens of raids against far-right suspects accused of plotting attacks on refugees, Jews and police officers.

At least two people were detained, and officers confiscated weapons and explosives.

Several of those targeted were believed to have links to the Reichsburger movement, an extremist group which rejects the legitimacy of the German republic.

“Rising right-wing terrorism is being thwarted by the security authorities. This is demonstrated by the measures taken today and this is shown by bans on these organisations last year. The rule of law also remains determined and vigilant,” Germany’s Interior Minister, Thomas de Maizière told reporters.

The Reichsburger group is believed to overlap with neo-nazis and security sources say the ranks of far-right groups are swelling. Last year, German authorities broke up a suspected ultra-right wing militant group known as ‘Old School Society’, but warned other groups could emerge.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-26

3 hours ago, webfact said:

“Rising right-wing terrorism is being thwarted by the security authorities. This is demonstrated by the measures taken today and this is shown by bans on these organisations last year. The rule of law also remains determined and vigilant,” Germany’s Interior Minister, Thomas de Maizière told reporters.

And the other terrorists? You know, the religious fanatics? Seems as though success against the one is being used to offset the lack of any real success against the other.

44 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

And the other terrorists? You know, the religious fanatics? Seems as though success against the one is being used to offset the lack of any real success against the other.

I thought that they were Norwegians, with mental health problems...

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

The are doing what they can to help out the government approved terrorists. Being right wing is so last century.

Who are these "Reichsbürger" (citizens of the Reich)?  

Nostalgic of imperial Germany before 1914 for some and of the Third Reich of Adolf Hitler for others. In short, a heterogeneous crowd mixing neo-Nazis, adepts of conspiracy theories but also people with esoteric beliefs.

Most have created a fictitious German Empire, including territories lost by the country in the twentieth century. The Principality of Germania, the Kingdom of Atlantis, and the Holy Roman Empire ...

The daily "SWR Nachrichten" indicates in particular that one of it's main "druid"  is followed by more than a thousand people on the Russian social network VK. According to the German newspaper, he said:
"My survival instinct tells me that I must destroy Jews and Muslims before my parents or my family are destroyed."

Edited by Opl

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Only in the last couple of weeks German authorities have taken into custody 3 terrorists suspects plotting attacks along with one in Austria. 

19 minutes ago, Opl said:

Who are these "Reichsbürger" (citizens of the Reich)?  

Nostalgic of imperial Germany before 1914 for some and of the Third Reich of Adolf Hitler for others. In short, a heterogeneous crowd mixing neo-Nazis, adepts of conspiracy theories but also people with esoteric beliefs.

Most have created a fictitious German Empire, including territories lost by the country in the twentieth century. The Principality of Germania, the Kingdom of Atlantis, and the Holy Roman Empire ...

The daily "SWR Nachrichten" indicates in particular that one of it's main "druid"  is followed by more than a thousand people on the Russian social network VK. According to the German newspaper, he said:
"My instinct for survival tells me that I must destroy Jews and Muslims before my parents or my family are destroyed."

And we all know what happened the last time the far right took control in Germany.

30 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

And we all know what happened the last time the far right took control in Germany.

So..  we (in Europe) are now facing threats of conflicting radical terror forces : extremist far right /  radical islamism  ... that have a lot in common 

Edited by Opl

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The are doing what they can to help out the government approved terrorists. Being right wing is so last century.

... yes, certainly can't say they don't adapt as with their 'new' one-fingered salute, all up to date there.

1-fingered salute.JPG

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

calling them far right is only an excuse to get rid of those who do not agree with their catastrophic  policy

They should remove those unwanted (by the people) aliens first

And that's the other problem!  I'm not sure whether this is just a political move - i.e. deflection aimed at distracting from their other problems that may result in losing the next election...

On 1/26/2017 at 0:26 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Book Em,  Jail Em,  Deport Em.

Can't deport your own citizens.

And regardless of whether they don't co-operate with authorities, which they denounce as unlawful to non-existent, don't believe the Federal Republic of Germany actually exists, and run around with their own fantasy passports, the lot of them are autochthonous Germans whose ancestors may have been in the country since Hermann the Cherusker. They are complete wackos, and dangerous, but they are *our* whackos.  

Edited by Saradoc1972
typos

On 1/26/2017 at 0:24 PM, dick dasterdly said:

And therein lies the problem.

The far-right have become more dangerous and, depressingly, more accepted, as ordinary people become disenfrachised from the people who are supposed to represent them.

Nah, that's not them. Not so much about disenfranchisement, more about wack-a-rama and some megalomania thrown in. And they've been around for years, only things boiled up a little some 2 or 3 months ago when one of them shot a police officer raiding his home for formerly legally owned weapons...

They may be far-right, but this is nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with refugees and how Merkel and her cronies have been comporting herself over the last two years.