Questions on renting a house for the first time

Found this attractive house for rent, affordable for me. 

Thai owner has Chanote in his name (I haven't checked yet), but apparently house is still being paid for (to a bank) - my wife couldn't totally explain me that part, but I think owner is still paying instalments.

Apart from checking with the Land office if that Chanote is real and associated with his ID, is there anything else I should check?

Thanks for the help.

I have rented lots of places in Thailand, and never thought to check if the person renting out is the owner. I dont think its standard practice, but it cant hurt. I suppose it would show if they are maybe doing an illegal sublet, Usually just a lease between the two parties. 

Would you check ownership of a property before renting in your home country ?

I would talk to owner about Thai GF or wife going into Blue book, and a yellow book for you. And insist the owner does TM30 report.

On 1/26/2017 at 6:15 PM, Peterw42 said:

I have rented lots of places in Thailand, and never thought to check if the person renting out is the owner. I dont think its standard practice, but it cant hurt. I suppose it would show if they are maybe doing an illegal sublet, Usually just a lease between the two parties. 

Would you check ownership of a property before renting in your home country ?

I would talk to owner about Thai GF or wife going into Blue book, and a yellow book for you. And insist the owner does TM30 report.

This is Thailand.  Rented a nice house from Thai lady.  Six months later a Swedish guy accompanied by a gaggle of cops and lawyers showed up claiming the house was his. Continued paying rent to the Thai lady but moved out a couple months later.  Dunno how you would check this.

Check the lease and add or subtract clauses as necessary.  Spell out who pays for what.  Decide how the electric and water is paid and the surcharge if there is one.   Routine maintenance (light bulbs, faucet washers) is usually on the renter but major repairs and replacement of appliance should be the rentor's responsibility.  Make sure that is in the lease including the time period for repairs.  Standard lease is just a guide subject to negotiation.  Deposit is open to negotiation as well.  

House maintenance, what is considered normal wear and tear, painting, appliances including air con units (maintenance/service and breakdown. Keep deposit to a minimum, possibly check with the last renter to

see if he got his deposit back and check if there were any issues with the house or the owner. Possibly

have your wife talk to the neighbours.

Best of luck

Edited by Ulic

I personally wouldn't feel at liberty to ask a person I was renting from to show me proof that they are the lagal owner of the property.....but that's just me of course. And if the shoe were on the other foot I wouldn' t rent to a person who asked me for proof....I would see nothing but trouble from such a tennant down the line.....but that's just me, of course.

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

Obtain a copy of the landlords Tabien Baan and ID card, you'll need them for the future.

I would add, that a copy of the above is REQUIRED PRIOR to signing any agreements.  My last house/owner promised to provide the above; however, as I am adeptly learning promises are very cheap here.....they were not kept.  You can say that you will need them for immigration only.  If they provide any excuses, those are the same reasons to look else where.

Must admit this is a good question never had anyone ask us for proof it's our property, can see why op would ask but does seem strange. As for the question of photo copies of wifes tabien and ID due to an attempted fraud some years ago when we passed the copies over as a matter of course, we now no longer do this. We do however do the  tm30. We allow yellow books to be sourced if rented to a farang of course putting thai Wife or girlfriend in blue book is a cause of concern for the Wife so she will not allow that. But as they are in a blue book somewhere that's never been a problem.

If Tennant requires a photo copies of I'd and book for cert of residence or any matter at immigration we would go along and give these at the counter as required. Just our way but it works. Having said that we have never needed to do that we have one long term Danish resident who has yellow book. The rest are rented to Thai's.

Ok, so let's see if I got that straight, I am signing the papers now.

- I got copies from all landlord's documents that will be required when I extend my visa (marriage based, third time)

- getting photos of the house and it's situation

- I got the landlord to fill a TM30

- I am filling a TM28 myself

Should I bring the TM28 and TM30 as soon as I move? Since I am already going to the immigration office, can I bring the TM30 instead of the landlord himself? Do these forms have to be delivered now or only when I renew my visa in October?

2 hours ago, FarangFB said:

Ok, so let's see if I got that straight, I am signing the papers now.

- I got copies from all landlord's documents that will be required when I extend my visa (marriage based, third time)

- getting photos of the house and it's situation

- I got the landlord to fill a TM30

- I am filling a TM28 myself

Should I bring the TM28 and TM30 as soon as I move? Since I am already going to the immigration office, can I bring the TM30 instead of the landlord himself? Do these forms have to be delivered now or only when I renew my visa in October?

-  I personally take a few copies and keep them on file for future use rather than disturb the landlord.

- Yes

- Yes

- Yes

You should file the TM28 and TM30 within 24 hours of taking possession of the dwelling to comply with the law and avoid any fine.

You need to do the change of address before you can do your extension.

Sometimes it hasn't been convenient to go within 24 hours, so I date the forms with yesterdays date of the day I do attend.