San pa Tong to Lamphun

ChrisKC

Some advice please

I need to go from San pa Tong to Lamphun railway station next Tuesday morning. Is there a regular bus or sawng taew service I could use? If so, where does it leave from ?

Thank you. I have ridden  my bicycle for this trip before but I have luggage this time making that difficult.

When going to Lamphun, I use the blue baht busses (songteaws) that are on the east side of the river just south of the Iron Bridge (or somewhat across the river from River Market) although I can't say for sure they'll end up at the train station there.  One can also catch one of the blue baht busses at Kad Luang (Warorot Market) but I'm not sure how often they leave from there...but probably at least once an hour. Cost is 20 baht or less. I'm presuming you can get a baht bus or other transportation from your place to one of those two locations. 

Alternatively, you could take the train down there (and you'll end up exactly where you want to be).  Not sure of the cost (I took the 9:30AM train down to Lampang....a whole lot farther.....two days ago for the whopping sum of 23 baht!).

Edited by CMBob

Thank you but I want to go from San pa Tong to Lamphun, not from Chiang Mai. I used to live in Lamphun but only ever went to Chiang Mai. The blue song tiow starts at Warorot (as does the public blue bus) and, as you say, goes down the the road where the river is on the right, past Duke's and Rimping. Goes all the way through Saraphi and actually stops on the road in Lamphun that is only 300 meters to the Railway station. A couple of years ago the fare all the way was B15

Anyway, today, I found a way to Lamphun from San pa Tong, so hopefully, I won't miss my train on Tuesday morning.

I asked a shopkeeper at the Lamphun road in San pa tong yesterday who assured me the yellow song tioaw goes to lamphun every hour. I have yet to discover this will actually happen. If not, I will pay the driver more to take me there. I am also hoping I can make the return trip.

I will let you know.

I can now give a definitive answer to my question.

There IS a service (yellow sawng Taow) from San pa Tong to Lamphun. I am not sure where it starts in San pa Tong but I know it terminates at the bus station in central Lamphun. It leaves on the half hour (on time) and the trip takes half an hour. I have made the trip both ways. The fare all the way is B20. the distance is about 20Kms. I was waiting for my outward journey at the junction of the main road in San pa Tong which is at the Chiang Mai end of the general town thoroughfare and the signposted Lamphun Road.