ISP of choice for international sites?

markcm19

I'm going to buy internet for my home around Macro. I'd like the best I can get for 1500 or less, and I never use thai sites. Mostly want stability , steaming without delays (UK sports) if possible, and good ping to Steam servers.

I guess fibre optic is.the best choice, and 3bb, Sinet, and Ais have gold reviews. What's the best package for the area?

There are at least three MACRO to my knowledge in the CM area.

ISP quality is very location/requirement dependant.

If you are happy to give out a more precise location then go ahead and TV posters will spout forth.

However the best solution usually is to ask your neighbours with similar requirements (if that is an option in your location).

21 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

There are at least three MACRO to my knowledge in the CM area.

ISP quality is very location/requirement dependant.

If you are happy to give out a more precise location then go ahead and TV posters will spout forth.

However the best solution usually is to ask your neighbours with similar requirements (if that is an option in your location).

Ah I was not aware, new here. Hang dong macro or the road to it. I saw a 3bb dsl advertisement fairly near the area but that's it. I'd like fiber as i believe it's better right ?

2 hours ago, MadMac said:

It's called MaKro! :post-4641-1156693976:

Well done MadMac.

That must be the least constructive post to a straight forward question I have witnessed on this Forum.

The OP responded to my reply stating that he is new to the area. He did not then, but does now, know that there is more than one Makro/Macro in the CM area. (I, unlike you, assumed the OP was new to the area and did not think that the spelling brigade were required in this situation). The spelling of the establishment(s) has no bearing on the OP’s clear question.

I have tried to help the OP (unlike you) but as I did not know which area (no matter how it is spelt) I offered some general advice (again unlike you).

I do not have any knowledge of Internet access in the OP’s now clearly defined area of interest so I cannot help any further.

I do however hope there are some more sympathetic posters out there in TV land, in the OP’s locale, who can provide some positive advice.

There are exactly 2 Makros in Chiang Mai. They have nothing at all to do with Internet access. International bandwidth furthermore has nothing to do with Makro or Chiang Mai at all. But nice that we tried to correlate unrelated issues. Maybe we could even prove that so more Makros you have, so lower your Internet speed is, but that's just a hypothesis :).

I'd say, get fiber, AIS has good bandwidth and low subscribers, alternatively TOT. International traffic goes through international gateways and subsea cables which all share.

36 minutes ago, MadMac said:

There are exactly 2 Makros in Chiang Mai. They have nothing at all to do with Internet access. International bandwidth furthermore has nothing to do with Makro or Chiang Mai at all. But nice that we tried to correlate unrelated issues. Maybe we could even prove that so more Makros you have, so lower your Internet speed is, but that's just a hypothesis :).

I'd say, get fiber, AIS has good bandwidth and low subscribers, alternatively TOT. International traffic goes through international gateways and subsea cables which all share.

Why did you not just provide that advice (above) assuming that it is both accurate and pertinent to the Macro/Makro area and the requirements the OP is asking about?

I do hope it helps the OP.

Your location in CM is one of the most important considerations, along with the actual requirements, in selecting your ISP (as I said earlier). Hence the discussion of location. i.e. where was/which was the Makro/Macro (2, 3 or how many) ever under discussion.

There is no need to respond to this post unless it helps the OP.

PS.  The number, over 1, of how many Makro/Macro are in CM is irrelevant if there is more than one.  Lets get back on topic and help the OP!

Welcome markcm19 to TV Chiang Mai. As you will be now know there are many useless posters who just love to see their names on any thread!

In answer to you question, we had 3bb for years but when we tried to upgrade to fibre optic cable last October they took so long to reply to repeated phone calls that we had moved to True. Our installation was done within 48 hours of our visit to their outlet in Central Festival. Over this last weekend we had a service problem and called them on Saturday. The problem was a faulty cable connector into the router, and it was solved at 5pm today by a friendly and helpful young man.

We are in the Meechok area but I am certain you will have no problem in your area.

Hope this helps.

PS AIS removed their fibre optic cable to our moo baan! Perhaps no clients.

Sure, you may use Feng Shui to select your ISP. There are some gurus around here too, try Doi Saket area. Not sure if they can fly on carpets to your home to advise, in worst case you have to drive there.

Nevertheless, it does not matter what local ISP your guru recommends, as they do all use the same subsea cables. Thus the international bandwidth is the same for all. Good luck. And if you come along a flying carpet, I take one :)

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

it certainly is because they are building a new one in Nimman, in the most ridiculous place ever.

Really? I would have suggested Maya, just to ease the traffic, but in the center of Nimman will be the killer MaKro :cheesy:

I'll give it a shot. Based on my personal experience and experience gathered from a few expat friends, according to your needs: try AIS, avoid TOT and to a lesser extent True.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Just my two cents.

Side note: with the single gateway thing cooking up, future looks grim for international bandwidth. That's a major bottleneck to come, no doubt.

TOT Fiber is actually quite good. They cabled our moo baan first and then handed our some flyers, meaning there is almost nobody on that fiber access, less sharing, better QoS. Only a government company can do that :). Other than that I'd recommend AIS, haven't tried, but they use their excess capacity to provide broadband access now. Limited number of subs in the moment, but growing fast and pumping a lot of money in. True and 3BB, forget it.

Yes, that is certainly true for the local access. So more subs you have, so less of the share you get. That's why I mentioned TOT. They do not promote it at all, so chances are you will get a higher junk of the bandwidth available, compared to private companies who want to actually earn money.

In terms of international bandwidth it does not really matter as they all share the same  handful of subsea cables.

Ais wanted a work permit to get a connection, which I don't have. 3bb required an expensive modem despite having a router, and six months deposit for foreigners. Went with them , about 900 a month for 100 mbps. I rarely download files so I wasn't sure of a benefit do going to 200mbps for aother 350 baht a month, but they said i could upgrade lager if i wished. Will take one week to install.

Hmmm....ok, never had any issues with that. Another reason to get a yellow housebook I'd say.

It does not really matter what local bandwidth you purchase, the lowest package is usually good enough, as the bottleneck sits somewhere else. I run a small Android TV box on our 30MBps TOT and it usually works fine with 1080p, that is Kodi and some add-ons, that get the stream from servers outside Thailand.

Archived