The Professor and I the falang

Chris747

ok here's a good story that made me think quite a few moments... 

My wife and I live in a moobaan. We have a big lovely dog and we go walk with her on evenings..

There's a professor living near us, female in her 40's, quite open minded as far as i can see, a real madame, good english and obviously a real respected person. She's owning like 5 houses inside the moobaan.. there are other doctors in this moobaan giving her a Wai so i assume she must be really high up in the society..

So we went for that walk in november or december can't really remember anymore.. but it was the month or the period, when it's commonly believed by (some) Thais that this is the one month/period of the year where dogs can get pregnant.. 

So we meet her on our walk, my wife and her are pretty good together and she loves our dog because she has dogs herself..   so my wife and her talk a bit and suddenly the professor says to me:

"You need to be carefull, you can't let your dog outside if you don't want puppies"

My reaction "my dog has just been in heat 2 months ago and the next time she could have puppies is april next year (she wouldnt let any male dog to close for such things ;) "

Then the professor "I am not kidding, you have to be carefull this is the month in which dogs get pregnant"

My wife was quiet she didnt say a word because she knew exactly the professor talk utter BS 

so usually i do not go into more discussion, i know it leads to nothing - but with the professor my ego kinda kicked in..

So i said again, that it couldnt be because the cycle of my dog is just not the right one for having puppies..

After that she got a bit pissed off at me and talked to my wife in thai - which my wife later translated me with "this guy really is hardcore stubborn and does not easy listen to people"

So, my interpretation is, that she initially wanted to make a joke about it, maybe mock about the common belief, but then somehow couldn't talk herself out anymore without loosing some face.. 

Just wanted to share, because i really thought alot about that short chat with her and it's so typical Thai :) 

Just proves that even a University education doesn't insulate or inoculate some from stupidity.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Just be the dumb farang with the crazy ideas outside the box.  You can't change it, so don't try. 

Edited by 55Jay

13 minutes ago, JusMe said:

Tell her your dog cannot get pregnant.  It's impossible as she's wearing a special Thai amulet.  What better contraceptive could anyone want?

and it was  shoved into the dogs  fanny ( thats not  bum for any Amerrrrrrrrrrricans)