Dog has Tics easy solution any body??

showering (with a proper wash) will cause many to fall off naturally, but to be honest, if you are going to the vet tomorrow I would let them deal with it.  (Oh I got told vinegar too once by an old grandma)

Over the years we get invaded by them, not necessarily on the dogs (though they are of course) but everywhere crawling on the ground.

We frontline less often than we should, and it doesn't always work, but we don't really have problems these days.

3 hours ago, KBsinter said:

My missus just washed the dog,and picked out over 20 Tics any quick solutions,he never comes in contact

with other dogs 1/2 Pitbull not happy with other dogs.......obliged with any comments thanks. 

Even though they can get tics from other dogs, they generally pick them up from the grass and other foliage. The tics pick the host and there isn't much you can do about it with an active dog given its freedom. It is that time of year again!

Having lost one of my dogs last year through a blood parasite infection (transmitted by tics) I have been a great fan of Frontline and administer it every month. Even have a little spreadsheet going so I don't forget when last given to them.

Just a word of advice, if your dog is off his/her food and has lost interest in things it normally loves, take him/her to the vet and get them checked out. That advice comes from someone who ignored the signs even though I knew something was wrong the last time.

We have had good results with these Preventic collars. http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=prevent+tick

In addition we give En-Dex 4000 once a month now which you vet can probably supply.

We had what could only be described as a tick epidemic with three dogs. We initially gave them the en-dex once every 2 weeks for 6 weeks along with the collars, it solved the problem.

Still get them occasionally but rare. Previously they were crawling all over the place.

52 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Even though they can get tics from other dogs, they generally pick them up from the grass and other foliage. The tics pick the host and there isn't much you can do about it with an active dog given its freedom. It is that time of year again!

Having lost one of my dogs last year through a blood parasite infection (transmitted by tics) I have been a great fan of Frontline and administer it every month. Even have a little spreadsheet going so I don't forget when last given to them.

Just a word of advice, if your dog is off his/her food and has lost interest in things it normally loves, take him/her to the vet and get them checked out. That advice comes from someone who ignored the signs even though I knew something was wrong the last time.

My small dog was sick for a day and a half, listless, not eating etc. Next morning dead. I assumed snake bite. Did yours go that quick? 

1 hour ago, Pomthai said:

We have had good results with these Preventic collars. http://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=prevent+tick

In addition we give En-Dex 4000 once a month now which you vet can probably supply.

We had what could only be described as a tick epidemic with three dogs. We initially gave them the en-dex once every 2 weeks for 6 weeks along with the collars, it solved the problem.

Still get them occasionally but rare. Previously they were crawling all over the place.

Sorry tried the collars but they were so poisonous had to take them off. We get the monthly injection, take them swimming in the sea, shower them with anti parasite shampoo and my wife picks the ticks out every night. It's better now there's no rain but they can also cause a problem to people as they've bitten me and in the UK they did have a problem with ticks causing Lime's disease.

Ticks are very difficult to control, the first area to address is where the dog sleeps.  The ticks live and breeed in the bedding and it must be treated periodically to keep it clean.  Washing doesn't rid the bedding of the ticks and eggs.  I found that a good and safe treatment is Bayticol.  I mix it myself and use it as a spray.  It can also be used as a bath or a dip.

Frontline and Frontguard both contain fipronil and methoprene, Frontguard being much cheaper since it's made in China (100 baht/application vs 350 baht/application), but neither are repellents,.  The ticks actually have to get on the animal and bite before they are killed.  Most likely the shots that you are getting at the vet are ivermectin.  It's available and the shots are easy to give yourself under the skin on the back of the neck.  I never found any of the above very effective if you don't keep their bedding clean.  I have raised Golden Retrievers here in farm country and ticks are a real problem.

Don't forget, heart worm is also a blood parasite and is carried by mosquito and not ticks.  I found that ivernectin works well with these parasites but have never had much luck in controlling ticks or mites in doses that are safe of the dog. There are many other oral preventative measure available. Frontline/Frontguard does not protect the dog for this parasite.

8 hours ago, chrisinth said:

as chris.posted DONT IGNORE,we had 18months of hell with an infected loved one.if you loose a loved one it will break your HEART.

after 18months of being ripped off we were lucky we got the right treatment AND VET.

9 hours ago, Goanna said:

My small dog was sick for a day and a half, listless, not eating etc. Next morning dead. I assumed snake bite. Did yours go that quick? 

No, unfortunately it was drawn out over a two month period. The reason it lasted that long was that he appeared to be recovering through the treatment by the vet, peaks and troughs, until finally he just gave up. Euthanasia was preformed by the vet when all his major organs failed (or were in the process of failing), much like a domino effect.

There are home-made methods to get rid of ticks.  Some people swear by them.  To find them, search for Ticks in this forum,and you will find plenty.

I use Endex, the tablet form of invermec.This keeps them under some sort of control.  For several years, the problem was ticks;  this year, very few ticks, but quite a problem with fleas.

There is no surefire  method of keeping ticks away. 

Tried many things over the years........... So far and been using for past 2 years with good results

Use B1 shampoo. = 1lt 120 baht.......... Use B1 concentrated.. 60 baht lasts 1 year, mix 6 drops with 1 lt water and use pump spray all around the house 1x month...  + underside of sofas and both sides of curtains + check walls..... Spray around garden in high Tick season.  1 x tablet cost 65 baht for 10  'EN-DEX 4000'

[+ far cheaper then Injections from the Vet, have 10 dogs, had a deal with Vet 80 baht per dog every 2 months]

9 hours ago, wayned said:

Ticks are very difficult to control, the first area to address is where the dog sleeps.  The ticks live and breeed in the bedding and it must be treated periodically to keep it clean.  Washing doesn't rid the bedding of the ticks and eggs.  I found that a good and safe treatment is Bayticol.  I mix it myself and use it as a spray.  It can also be used as a bath or a dip.

Frontline and Frontguard both contain fipronil and methoprene, Frontguard being much cheaper since it's made in China (100 baht/application vs 350 baht/application), but neither are repellents,.  The ticks actually have to get on the animal and bite before they are killed.  Most likely the shots that you are getting at the vet are ivermectin.  It's available and the shots are easy to give yourself under the skin on the back of the neck.  I never found any of the above very effective if you don't keep their bedding clean.  I have raised Golden Retrievers here in farm country and ticks are a real problem.

Don't forget, heart worm is also a blood parasite and is carried by mosquito and not ticks.  I found that ivernectin works well with these parasites but have never had much luck in controlling ticks or mites in doses that are safe of the dog. There are many other oral preventative measure available. Frontline/Frontguard does not protect the dog for this parasite.

As you say, the problem is that 'back of the neck' Frontline etc. kill the ticks that bite your dog, but by then its already too late as they've passed on the blood parasites.  Plus, they become less effective after a few months.

Bayticol also kills ticks/eggs etc. very effectively, but does anyone know whether it also repels ticks?

There are several ways of dealing with lice and fleas,  but they don't seem to be effective for long.  For example,Frontline  was hailed as a miracle drug ,but it doesn't seem to work after a couple of years.

And I'm sure that applies to lots of these home remedies. I use endex (tablets), and Bayticol,

20 minutes ago, isanbirder said:

There are several ways of dealing with lice and fleas,  but they don't seem to be effective for long.  For example,Frontline  was hailed as a miracle drug ,but it doesn't seem to work after a couple of years.

And I'm sure that applies to lots of these home remedies. I use endex (tablets), and Bayticol,

But do you know whether Bayticol also repels ticks?

I'm sure we all worry about using these poisons on our dogs, which is why I'd be slightly less concerned if a 'solution' actually repelled the ticks - resulting in them not getting the tick-borne blood parasites in the first place!

the only way we can TRY and keep our loved ones safe IS TO BE VIGALANT,we got to check every day.

we know where our boy got it from,sadly that the carrier passed away.

so its spray everywhere outside,and in the bedroom where he sleeps.

the past 10months its been just 3females,and 1brown dog tick,no small black ones [he used to have loads.] at least 6 a night on the bed.

since march of last yr.for the first time we used controline once a month,and he is checked every day.

there are a couple of dogs near us but we dont seem to get any visitors, the grass is kept short and the garden is sprayed once a yr.by the pest control.

what actually works? that is difficult to say,before i would test different stuff,chaingard,bayticol directly on the ticks,that didnt kill them,ony when you dropped them in a jar of thinner.

as for injecting anything,i am not toooo happy with that.

like arjen posts between the toes and inside their ears.

ours used to scratch his ears till they bled. we bought a ear mite anti bacterial [MICRO-DEX] 2drops in each ear twice a week has done the trick,no more scratching,they are also cleaned with [MY-MINE] a natural herb ear lotion.

2 hours ago, meatboy said:

like arjen posts between the toes and inside their ears.

ours used to scratch his ears till they bled. we bought a ear mite anti bacterial [MICRO-DEX] 2drops in each ear twice a week has done the trick,no more scratching,they are also cleaned with [MY-MINE] a natural herb ear lotion.

Floppy ears seem to attract ticks more than smaller, upright ears?

I mention this as only one of my dogs gets ticks in his ears.

But do you know whether Bayticol also repels ticks?

I'm sure we all worry about using these poisons on our dogs, which is why I'd be slightly less concerned if a 'solution' actually repelled the ticks - resulting in them not getting the tick-borne blood parasites in the first place!

Most of the tick shampoos contain ingredients end with "-thrin ". These are repellents as used by the US army.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 31/01/2017 at 0:17 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Floppy ears seem to attract ticks more than smaller, upright ears?

I mention this as only one of my dogs gets ticks in his ears.

Mine is an English bull terrier so has pointy upright ears,  never gets them in his ears .  Mine gets them in between toes mainly. 

My dog is white ao I'm able to spot any very quickly but it's hard to keep them off 100percent. I maybe see 1 every come of months. 

He is only 11 months but I found the rainy season much worse due to longer grass when out and about 

13 minutes ago, Arjen said:

It looks to me that foreign breeds are more sensitive than Thai dogs.

I also noticed that the length from the grass is not important at all. But wet grass hosts much more ticks (and flees, and centipedes) as dry grass does....

Just the things I noticed....

Arjen.

Whilst in theory he is a English breed he was born here.  He does struggle in the heat but  I think that's the short hair

Any excuse to post his pic

20161006_175559.jpg

20161018_150626.jpg

20161018_150703.jpg

Archived