Non-o for retirement visa from Vientiane

Looking for clarification on the documents required for a non-o visa in Vientiane. I would then convert to retirement visa once back in Thailand. Someone mentioned that they only gave proof of address and copy of bank book. However, the Embassy website states this;
1. Curriculum Vitae 
2. Official letter from the concerned Embassy/Consulate certifying the monthly income of at least 
    65,000 Baht 
    or Official letter from the Bank in Thailand certifying a valid account of at least 800,000 Baht, 
    and is being held at least 3 months before visa application. 
3. Recent Police clearance or equivalent reference of no criminal conviction 
4. Medical certificate

I thought the bank letter was only required when converting in Thailand and the police clearance/medical certificate weren't needed.

Curriculum Vitae? First I've heard of that!

Can anyone shed any light?

Those are the requirements for a Laotian or legal resident to a apply for a NON-OA visa.

Your up to date bank book plus copies and a letter from the bank should be all you will need.

After you get the non-o visa there will be no conversion to do. You just apply for an extension of stay (not a visa) based upon retirement.

Thanks ubonjoe, that's very helpful (and a bit of a relief!). Any idea how strict they are about the bank letter? I read that it should be issued to more than 7 days before the application. I will be travelling beforehand so this would not be possible. 

4 minutes ago, metice said:

Thanks ubonjoe, that's very helpful (and a bit of a relief!). Any idea how strict they are about the bank letter? I read that it should be issued to more than 7 days before the application. I will be travelling beforehand so this would not be possible. 

They do not have a 7 day requirement.

The 7 days is at some immigration office but some want it dated the same day you apply for the extension.

• 2 weeks later...

HI..

I am also planing to get a Non-O Visa in Vietiane based on retirement.

Goingthrough the different posts here on this forum I understand the following documents are needed:

1. Passport and passport copies (photo details page)
  2. Copy of entry stamp into Lao.
  3. Photos 2ea, on white back ground (available outside Embassy, if needed)
  4. Updated Bank Book and copies
  5. Letter from Bank

My Questions:

2. I already have photo with blue background (from Thailand). Do I really need photos on white background?

5. What is this letter from the bank. This is not clear to me! Is this the same letter you get when you want to apply 1-year extension or want to make Visa coversion based on retirement?

OR is this same special letter only for Thai emabassy/consulate overseas.

I just want to be able ti go to my Bank (Bangkok Bank) and ask for the correct letter.

regards

11 minutes ago, maccra said:

My Questions:

2. I already have photo with blue background (from Thailand). Do I really need photos on white background?

5. What is this letter from the bank. This is not clear to me! Is this the same letter you get when you want to apply 1-year extension or want to make Visa coversion based on retirement?

OR is this same special letter only for Thai emabassy/consulate overseas.

2. The are stringent on their photo requirements. See: http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/PhotoRequirement.pdf

5. It is the same letter you would get for immigration to apply for an extension.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what a surprise.

I just came back from the Thai Consulate in Vientiane ( I am still here in Vientiane). I tried to apply for the Non-O visa based on retirement. I had all the documents which I thought I needed, after reading here on the forum. I had;

- Passport and copy

- Copy of Lao entry stamp and visa

- Updated bank book and copies (Bangkok bank) and with over 800k.

- Letter from bank (Bangkok bank)

These above documents were not questioned and seem correct.

The lady at the windown politely rejected my application and gave me a document stating that I need some extra documents. These extra documents are;

- Criminal check from contry of residence

- Medical certifiicate.

She said the documents need to be in Thai and I can get both in Thailand. Criminal check from Police and medical certicicate from doctor.

I never read anywhere here on the forum that these extra documents are required, except fro residents of Lao. Does anybody have an idea if these are now new requirements?

Now I have to go back to Thailand (as a tourist) and get those documents. I think the medical certificate is no problem, but will the Thai ploice issue a  criminal check document to a tourist?

Now trrying to decide what to do, try to get SETV, (but this will be my 3rd TV visa, 2 other from different countries), but I read now in the forum many SETV applications are getting rejected. Of course there is still visa exempt, but it seems I am slowly running out of options to stay long term in Thailand based on retirement.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, maccra said:

@ubonjoe; So what you suggest I should do. Go back tomorrow and try to apply again andif they reject ask them to check?

Yes if you don't mind spending another day to try again. Make sure they understand you do not want a OA visa.

Sorry if I am sticking my oar in here and not fully understanding, but two people have spoken of getting a Non-O based on retirement in Vientiane. Is this a different procedure than just applying for Non-O and then getting an extension based on retirement at the local Immigration in Thailand.

I am a bit vague as I started with a tourist visa which I then converted locally to a Non-O.

14 minutes ago, rott said:

Sorry if I am sticking my oar in here and not fully understanding, but two people have spoken of getting a Non-O based on retirement in Vientiane. Is this a different procedure than just applying for Non-O and then getting an extension based on retirement at the local Immigration in Thailand.

I am a bit vague as I started with a tourist visa which I then converted locally to a Non-O.

Not all immigration offices can accept a application for a non immigrant visa (category O) now. If the local office cannot do it that means 2 trips to immigration in Bangkok 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamp. Another problem is that to apply requires 15 days remaining on the current entry.

Also to apply for the visa at immigration requires proof the funds came form abroad. Some people cannot meet that requirement because the brought it in cash over a period of time or they brought it in several years ago.

4 minutes ago, maccra said:

A preemptive question. If Vientiane don't issue me a Non-O via, what are the requirments in Savannakhet. I could travel there and try for the visa there.  Are the document requirments in Savannakhet different from Vientiane?

Savannakhet want proof you are retired to issue one. Perhaps a pension statement or a income letter from your embassy.

Well in my opinion Vientiane has changed.

I went back again to the Thai Consulate to apply for Non-O based on retirement. I was rejected again and given the same document asking for medical certificate and criminal record check. I kindly said that I am applying for a NoN-O visa and not a Non-OA visa. The lady behind the counter politley answered that these documents are required for Non-O. The consular lady told me that the document must be in Thai and can be issued from Thailand, so if anyone considering applying for a Non-O (retirement) they should consider getting these documents in Thaialnd before they go to Vientiane (of course don't forget bank account/bank letter and other documents also which are required).

There was also another guy in front of me who was also rejected for same reason of not having these documents, so I was not alone in this.

So, Unless someone can confirm that they have received a Non-O based on retriement without these documents in recent days or in the near future, then in my opinion the requirements have changed compared to what people have written about in this forum in the past.

Needs to watched for further developments I think.

Cheers

Just returned from my trip to Vientiane and I was also refused the non-imm visa. I was handed a form stating that I also needed to show police clearance and a medical certificate. No amount of protesting would change their minds. I came away with another tourist visa which I'm now investigating how to change to the required visa.

From what I understand, this doesn't need either the police clearance or medical certificate. However, something I'm not quite clear about is exactly what they require for proof of savings. This is from the immigration website;

5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
5.2 A copy of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)

I brought the funds into the country last March in preparation but the last point says all of these documents must show the same date as the application. Does this mean they won't accept them?

24 minutes ago, metice said:

I brought the funds into the country last March in preparation but the last point says all of these documents must show the same date as the application. Does this mean they won't accept them?

It means that the bank letter and bank book update must be done on the date you apply for the non immigrant visa. The bank will do a letter to confirm your funds came from abroad.

Those are what Bangkok immigration requires. The bank letter will be accepted if is done the date before. If applying elsewhere the letter might be accepted from a few days before.

The letter you took to Vientiane will not be accepted since I am sure it is several days old.

You can apply for the visa at immigration anytime now up to the last 15 day of your 60 day entry from the tourist visa.

• 2 months later...
On 20/02/2017 at 1:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

Savannakhet want proof you are retired to issue one. Perhaps a pension statement or a income letter from your embassy.

Hi again, i'm still lost in this non-O visa :)

Looks like Vientiane make it very difficult, so where to go ? Savannakhet i guess. Not close since i am in Chiang Rai but i do not want to lose time in Vientiane for nothing...

But Ubon, they (in Savannakhet) do issue the non-O based on 50+ year and 800.000 bhts in bank right ?

Any idea of the documents required ? Their website is in Thai...

Especially :

- Proof of adress ?

- Letter from bank (recent ? need funds since 2 month or ?) ?

And someone could confirm how long it takes ?

Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Looks like Vientiane make it very difficult, so where to go ? Savannakhet i guess. Not close since i am in Chiang Rai but i do not want to lose time in Vientiane for nothing...

But Ubon, they (in Savannakhet) do issue the non-O based on 50+ year and 800.000 bhts in bank right ?

Especially :

- Proof of adress ?

Thanks again.

In Savannakhet you only need the bank book showing the money is in the bank on the date you apply. The 60 days is not required. It might be a good idea to get a bank letter as well. Along with the bank book they will want a income letter from the embassy showing even a small amount of income to prove your are retried has worked for some other people.

Proof of address in not needed.

You apply the morning of one day by 11:00 and pick up the next afternoon.

• Like 1

Thanks again.

And good news but again except one thing not obvious : i do not have any pension...

It's supposed to be ok since i have the 800.000+ no ? And 50+ year old.

Savannakhet is kind of the same travel i think from Chiang Rai, night bus anyway. Not to much to do there but 1-2 days is very ok.

Perfect would have been Luang Prabang since there is a direct flight from CR (i don't think i can fly to Savannakhet easily and cheap).

Last think : due to week-end, the bank letter will be from Friday, apply in Savann a Monday, i guess it's good...

11 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Especially :

- Proof of adress ?

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In Savannakhet you only need the bank book showing the money is in the bank on the date you apply. The 60 days is not required. It might be a good idea to get a bank letter as well. Along with the bank book they will want a income letter from the embassy showing even a small amount of income to prove your are retried has worked for some other people.

Proof of address in not needed.

You apply the morning of one day by 11:00 and pick up the next afternoon.

I thought Savannakhet stopped issuing the Non-Immigrant O visa for retirees.  Or, did they resume issuing them after a period of not doing so?

9 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I thought Savannakhet stopped issuing the Non-Immigrant O visa for retirees.  Or, did they resume issuing them after a period of not doing so?

They never stopped doing them. They only made it difficult like it is now where the want both money in the bank and proof of some kind from a person's embassy to prove they are retired.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They never stopped doing them. They only made it difficult like it is now where the want both money in the bank and proof of some kind from a person's embassy to prove they are retired.

There was one report last week that stated he was told he could not get a Non-O retirement in SavannaKhet he had to do it in his home country...but for whatever reason that may have been an outlier and as usual, we don't have the whole picture...just the end result.

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

There was one report last week that stated he was told he could not get a Non-O retirement in SavannaKhet he had to do it in his home country...but for whatever reason that may have been an outlier and as usual, we don't have the whole picture...just the end result.

Not sure what the problem was with that one. All he had was a income letter with no bank book or statement to show. Another person got one on the same day with an income letter after showing a bank statement from a Thai bank.

Note that I wrote both are needed there now.