Thais Sent To Work In Canada?

lingnoi34

My thai sister-in-law has previously worked in Israel for 3 years as a farm worker. She got the job together with her husband through an employment agency in Thailand.

Now some agency (same as before?) is offering her a job (labor - farm work) in Canada with monthly wages of 80.000 baht. Fees for visa, transfer, agency are 300.000 baht per person.

I can understand why a country like Israel (high risk, war etc.) would need an agency to find people but Canada for sure has plenty of people (skilled/unskilled) wanting to come and work. Is my sister-in-law being ripped off by this agency or are there legitimate opportunities for (unskilled) laborer like her???

Thanks for your info and opinions.

LN

My thai sister-in-law has previously worked in Israel for 3 years as a farm worker. She got the job together with her husband through an employment agency in Thailand.

Now some agency (same as before?) is offering her a job (labor - farm work) in Canada with monthly wages of 80.000 baht. Fees for visa, transfer, agency are 300.000 baht per person.

I can understand why a country like Israel (high risk, war etc.) would need an agency to find people but Canada for sure has plenty of people (skilled/unskilled) wanting to come and work. Is my sister-in-law being ripped off by this agency or are there legitimate opportunities for (unskilled) laborer like her???

Thanks for your info and opinions.

LN

It does seem rather strange, The current unemployment rate in canada is fairly high. And the fees and charges seem like a sham. I would say you need to get as much info on the company before doing anything else.

Good Luck

Probaly to do with how the farm wages compare with other jobs.

Same thing here in Australia, we get many phillipino's and bring them here doing the the jobs aussie dont want to do. The farms are full of filos and euros picking fruit etc.

Social security pays nearly as good

Same thing here in Australia, we get many phillipino's and bring them here doing the the jobs aussie dont want to do. The farms are full of filos and euros picking fruit etc.

Hmnnn.. Doing the jobs Aussies wont do,,

Wouldn't that be half of the Aussie work force then Lord Donz ???? :o

Is Lord short for Gaylord? :D

Ok I'll drop the Lord if it makes you happy.. :D:D

Don quixcock, You trying to be a donz with such original stuff is embarrasing. Now appologise.

Littleblackduck, dont be a sore loser because you have lost the ashes

Don quixcock, You trying to be a donz with such original stuff is embarrasing. Now appologise.

LBD is an aussie as well Donz ... isn't that right duck ?

LBD is an aussie as well Donz ... isn't that right duck ?

maybe one of the poms who have just recently jumped ships

Interesting My sister in laws husband wants to go work Canada and asked me to lend him 200.000 bht of oucrse I declined;

More info on this would be appreciated ie is the company operating within the correct criteria and Regulations .

THe links above from Jai Dee are very informative as well

You Cheecky Little Half Back Flanker!!!!

I'm 100% OZ pal not 50% like you..

And I didnt call myself Lord Black Duck Did I ????

So best you apologise to me hey ???

i hate to say it, but i believe you are right

as an israeli who is familiar with the manpower companies for good and for bad i will explain:

to get all the visa work and organize placement for thai whom mostly come from issaan poor uneducated and unused to dealing with the immense beauracracy involved the agencies do all that for them, for a very large blown out of proportion price of course. they do get ripped off... however, in israel, the visa/work permit does NOT belong to the thai labourer BUT to the 'owner/employer' rather like slavery... the worker cannot change jobs, cannot leave, and cannot for the most part demand better treatment, wages, etc... they are for the most part stuck with their particular 'baal habayit i.e. employer no matter how badly he misuses them or treats them... as the thai workers live in fear of being deported before they receive all their wages to pay the manpower companies back. and there are many many scams involved.

sorry i cannot give all details as i help certain organizations with thai that are getting screwed over but am also on a kibbutz that imploys thais and prefer not to be too public.

on the other hand the manpower companies provide all the medical clearances, roundtrip ticket, and entervisas when a worker --like my husband for instance-- wants to go home for a month family visit, etc. they also are supposed to provide medical andwork insurance.

israel does not bring thai over because we are war torn or whatever but simply because mostly we prefer the good quality work they do, w/o complaint, under any conditions, are honest people, do not do a half assed job (in spite of what expats think about thai work quality, trust me in that it is 100% better than arab illegal--from 'the areas'-- workers who also cant always get to the work site due to barrier checks, and often deliberately sabotoge the employer's stuff... no political ideology of mine here, just stating what i see in te field(s). these jobs are jobs that no one else wants to do..

the govt here tried to set up a program for soldiers just finished with their service, to get extra perks towards studies etc if they were to work in agriculture . no takers.

unemployed people are usually not fit or healthy enough to do this work, they also do not have the agricutural background /or animal husbandry background for most of these jobs. the work is backreaking and the pay is shit.

israeli bosses do not want to waste time and train people, they want their employees to arrive today and start pruning tomorrow. with the thai, u show them once and they learn it. israeli workers ask a million questions, complain, argue, and do it wrong in the end... i know, i used to pick apples, prune the orchards etc... the kibbutz no longer lets us touch the precious trees cause we ruin them... and the thai workers laugh at us useless people.

i have a thai friend who is a migrant worker in america... thru a company of course, which rips them off of course, but for the most part he makes a lot of money (8 $/hr). they are flown from state to state, orchard to plantation, living out of suitcases etc. he's been there for four years now and he said he preferred israel because in israel they stay in one spot for up to five years and many thai do manage to develop a good relationship with their employers. in anon's village in korat i met a baby named ISRAEL as both husband and wife worked in israel in the flower industry for four years, came back and built a very nice house and had their second child!!!!!!!

beware though if they are small companies and u dont meet anyone else that has used the company. u can also check if there have been law suits against these companies and for what reason by checking in the internet. type in workers hotline + thai labour or any combination and see what u get. also , the companies change their names, and go by different names in thailand and in the employing country.... global agriculture is one such company... i cant say more. i found labour suits against them in the states.

the only way a thai worker can arrive on his/her own in israel is thru an employer that can put the name thru a manpower company and ask to have that individual come to that particular moshav/kibbutz. we've done it for brothers/in laws of our workers, as the employer prefers someonw that others know and recommend, and socially, it is 'healthier' for a thai labourer to be with other people from same village, area or family. it helps them make it thru the five years.

anon (my husband) heard now of people in his village going to canada, not sure who the manpower company is.

her best bet is to find out and speak with others that have been there done it, and not thai guys that they use as ringers i.e. the recruiters use local guys pay them more and have them do the recruiting... she should know about these things having done it once already... its the newbies that get screwed over. the oldtimers learn really quickly to spot a screwover.

bina and anon

israel

@bina: Thank you very much for your comprehensive and most useful information!!!

My sister in law and her husband stayed three years in Israel already and were due to go back on a second contract. For some reason that contract never materialized. Now they are trying for Canada as an alternative.

Anyway, thanks again!!!!!

LN

I am in Canada and have a few friends with orchards and some growing grapes ....they are all having trouble finding farm labour.The last couple years they have been bringing workers in from Mexico.The wages are less than some industries but still much higher than in Mexico...it seems to be working fine for both sides.The locals must provide transportation,living quarters and in some cases food.The wages are around $10.00 CAD per hour...with all expenses factored in it costs the grower around $15.00 CAD per hour.We have a shortage of experienced workers in most every field right now and Canada has implemented a more liberal policy to bring in temporary skilled labour.