Hit-and-run driver surrenders and apologises

webfact

Hit-and-run driver surrenders and apologises

3101001.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A hit-and-run driver who killed a road sweeper in suburban Bangkok on Sunday morning turned himself in to police at Kanna Yao district police and admitted that he had gulped seven drinks before driving and didn’t realize he had hit the sweeper.

The driver, Mr Veerasak Ditathero, also brought the damaged car with blood stain to the police station.

During the interrogation which was also attended by Pol Lt-Gen Sanit Mahathavorn, the metropolitan police commissioner, Veerachai said he drove the MG car belonging to his girlfriend to a restaurant in Ram-inthra where he had a dinner and drinks with some friends from about 8.30 pm until about 1.30 am of the next day.

He said he had seven drinks of liquor at the restaurant until its closure before leaving for a friend’s house and having more drinks until about 4 am when he left for home in Lam Lookka of Pathum Thani.

Veerasak claimed that he drove at a speed about 100 kph and, at one time, momentarily fell asleep during which his car hit a person without his realization.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hit-run-driver-surrenders-apologises/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-01-31

im surprised more arent killed especially the grass cutters who swing away in the central reservations of very busy roads, also wonder how much flying debris smashes car windscreens

Me as well, unbelievable, wandering along the hard shoulder and central res, not a cone in sight, or a lane closure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

My brother in law was hit by a hit and run driver 2 weeks ago  as he was walking through the village in the evening and is still in intensive care, theres cctv in the village, but they still cant find the culprit, the cops aint intrested as hes only a poor farmer, lifes cheap here!

3 hours ago, kannot said:

im surprised more arent killed especially the grass cutters who swing away in the central reservations of very busy roads, also wonder how much flying debris smashes car windscreens

In BKK i've seen one grasscutter at work while 3 others had to surround him with a tarp all the time....It was only once though, normally they don't care if cars get hit by flying stones.

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

I applaud him for his honesty, he's still a cun* but an honest one.

Is that tongue in cheek?

Honest - fell asleep because he was pissed and didn't realize his car hit and killed someone? So never stopped or checked on the victim or called emergency services? 

2 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

he fell asleep and hit someone without knowing it but somehow he knows how fast he was traveling at the time? Selective memory?

He know what time he was where, he know the number of drinks he had, he know what speed he carried, and he KNOW that he fell asleep just a split second before hitting a human being, and waking up just after realizing his windshield had been smashed to pieces. But he do not know, or in any way remember that his car hit something. I would say very selective. Owner of a "mini" he will probably not have very big problems.