EU chair labels Trump a 'threat' as Europeans debate U.S. ties

webfact

3 hours ago, Grouse said:

You think Obama personally bugged Merkel's phone? Even authorised it?

I'll tell you this, Trump is personally upsetting many people. This is not going to end well. 

I am not anti American but I am anti Trump. OK, a majority of Americans chose him. I wonder why? I'll wager the majority will be disappointed. In the meantime, the world will be much more dangerous.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Seems to me that just like in the UK, a large proportion of the population wanted change. For various reasons. And the same reasons. Both populations will indeed get change. Whether they will be happier as a result is moot! Me? I've run off to the hills!

"I wonder why?"  followed by "Seems to me that just like in the UK, a large proportion of the population wanted change. For various reasons."

You clearly don't 'wonder why' - and realise that a large percentage of the population in both the UK and USA wanted change.

Blame the politicians/establishment etc. that have alienated such a large percentage of the populace that they are willing to ignore their 'expert' advice, and vote for anything/anyone that promises 'change'! :sad:

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I wonder why?"  followed by "Seems to me that just like in the UK, a large proportion of the population wanted change. For various reasons."

You clearly don't 'wonder why' - and realise that a large percentage of the population in both the UK and USA wanted change.

Blame the politicians/establishment etc. that have alienated such a large percentage of the populace that they are willing to ignore their 'expert' advice, and vote for anything/anyone that promises 'change'! :sad:

Yes, "wonder why" was a rhetorical flourish!

In fact I understand that both in the U.K. And the USA many wanted change for multiple reasons. I think the more privileged are to blame for allowing inequality and injustice to get out of hand. There has been nothing to counterbalance the effects of automation and globalisation

I see the masses scaling the ramparts and I'm worried

The disadvantaged, the disenfranchised, the under privileged, the forgotten, the dissatisfied, the only just managing, the under employed, the hopeless, the angry

I don't know how it's all going to turn out but I am seriously worried. Not so much for me but my grandchildren.

We should take great care.

The following represents how I personally feel....

During my school years, I spent half of them at schools in Europe, and half in the US, back and forth. 

I observed first hand, better schooling in Europe than the US.  Are Europeans smarter on average?  Probably. Here's a little window into comparative schooling:   After several years of schooling in Europe (UK, France, Italy, Spain), I would return to the US school system (in an upscale neighborhood).  This happened thrice.  Each time, I would just cruise through the US classes, rarely even opening a book, because I'd learned the subjects in European schools. I'd get C's, B's and D's in European schools, and the same in US schools.  The difference was: I read books and listened to the teachers in European schools.  In the US, I just sat in the back of the class and talked with some of my buddies, and aced the tests.   If the US graded on tests alone, I would have gotten A's and B's, but the US averages-in attendance and homework, ....that's why my US grades were average.

Here are some other observations:  European schools taught Latin and modern languages, and they encourage the smarter students to excel.  In contrast, US schools cater to the slowest students in each class.  In the US, the bright kids have to tolerate the very slow pace of studies, in order for everyone to go through the turnstile at graduation time. 

So, when I hear European heads of state lamenting the sad state of the US under Trump, I can't help but get reminded that Europeans are, on average, smarter than Americans.

27 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes, "wonder why" was a rhetorical flourish!

In fact I understand that both in the U.K. And the USA many wanted change for multiple reasons. I think the more privileged are to blame for allowing inequality and injustice to get out of hand. There has been nothing to counterbalance the effects of automation and globalisation

I see the masses scaling the ramparts and I'm worried

The disadvantaged, the disenfranchised, the under privileged, the forgotten, the dissatisfied, the only just managing, the under employed, the hopeless, the angry

I don't know how it's all going to turn out but I am seriously worried. Not so much for me but my grandchildren.

We should take great care.

The following represents how I personally feel....

Could have done without the video, but other than that I agree - and have been saying for a couple of decades that fairly soon the wealthy are going to have to live in security guarded enclaves (in the UK).

Obviously I was wrong!  But right insofar as the disenfrachised eventually made a far milder declaration of discontent by ignoring everything they were told by politicians and 'experts' with an agenda and voted for brexit and Trump.

Its a shame that the EU followed (even increased?) the same pattern of 'pigs in the trough' - as Germany could teach the UK many good lessons about education/how to balance worker and employer rights etc.

Unfortunately, for some reason that escapes me they went for open borders, which could only harm the poor in 'wealthy' countries.

Edited by dick dasterdly

11 hours ago, selftaopath said:

I totally agree. I view the popular-vote LOOSER (Trump) a threat to U.S. democracy, and the entire world. Hopefully he (Trump) will be removed. I strongly believe Trump and his minions are gravely disturbed. 

Just more liberal bs

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Probably my bad stab at German.  I understand that winzige means tiny in German and therefore tiny weiner, therefore tiny sausage.  Something Trump is very fond of.

I think the German word for small is glaner or glarner as my sainted old grandmother taught me. 

I totally agree. I view the popular-vote LOOSER (Trump) a threat to U.S. democracy, and the entire world.

Trump is a vote 'looser'? Doesn't make sense. Looser than who, Hillary? That'll be the day.

Tusk is just an out of touch Eurocrat. Aside from Germany and the 'receivers', his harping on about further integration is just what will further divide the eu. Carry on.

Whether you like him or not, President Trump made campaign promises to the American people and he is well on his way to keeping those promises.

Maybe EU politicians should look after their own citizens as well.

I get the impression, from this article, that the EU (Donald Tusk) is scared that their big brother (U.S.A.) will no longer be there to keep the bullies away.

On 2/1/2017 at 4:51 PM, Grouse said:

JFK was showing solidarity with the people of West Berlin when they were walled in by the Soviets;

Do you see a difference between being walled in and walled out? Do you lock your doors at night to prevent your family from leaving or to protect them from intruders because you love them?

17 minutes ago, Linzz said:

Do you see a difference between being walled in and walled out? Do you lock your doors at night to prevent your family from leaving or to protect them from intruders because you love them?

I'm not sure I understand your point. Please explain..

I'm not sure we have a backdoor key; I'll go and look. I don't have gun either but I am from Yorkshire ?

5 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I'm not sure I understand your point. Please explain..

I'm not sure we have a backdoor key; I'll go and look. I don't have gun either but I am from Yorkshire ?

You must be joking me if you don't understand that Trump's southern wall is not to keep Americans in so why the reference to the Berlin Wall? Or do you think that West Berliners were trying to escape to the East?

On 2/1/2017 at 5:38 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

The EU head, should concentrate on the EU.  Actors should just be actors, let the politicians be

politicians. Donald Trump is now a politician, let him do his job!  This message is also

foe the Democrats, who lost the election, the country was simply tired of dirty politics, even

if the people in the large cities were not, lesson learned!, well not yet it seems..

Geezer

So they got a president who refuses to divulge his taxes and now stands to profit mightily from his presidency.

2 hours ago, Linzz said:

You must be joking me if you don't understand that Trump's southern wall is not to keep Americans in so why the reference to the Berlin Wall? Or do you think that West Berliners were trying to escape to the East?

This is all to do with "I am a Berliner" ( I am not allowed to use JFKs exact words which is a shame because it nicely illustrated the contrast between the two presidents). JFK was showing great solidarity with the West Berliners which was hugely appreciated.

What do you mean escape to the east. West Berlin was totally surrounded by East Germany. The Soviets actually tried to starve them out.

Edited by Grouse

Although I think Donald is a pretty smart guy I think he needs to realise that what he is doing right now is not a TV show - I know seriously as daft as that sounds ........................it is mega reality in your face, he no doubt has many smart people around him and he needs to wind his neck in and start listening before he opens his politically and diplomatically naïve mouth

I predicted he would be impeached within the first six months in office - I honestly hope I am wrong because I do believe he is a pretty smart business man but he needs to slow way way down and start listening

On 2/5/2017 at 6:08 AM, Grouse said:

This is all to do with "I am a Berliner" ( I am not allowed to use JFKs exact words which is a shame because it nicely illustrated the contrast between the two presidents). JFK was showing great solidarity with the West Berliners which was hugely appreciated.

What do you mean escape to the east. West Berlin was totally surrounded by East Germany. The Soviets actually tried to starve them out.

Dont worry Grouse,  I was being facetious