Can somebody translate this for me please ?

xerostar

I agree about Google translate!
I think it is something like กรรท (destiny? )allows people to meet, in order to spend their lives together one time only then one day they will be parted by death.
The bit in between ไม่กรรมเราทีมีต่อเขา ก็กรรมเขาที่มีต่อเรา needs an imaginative person which in 20 viewings we haven't found.
"Not my destiny, your destiny" is what I think it says though what is กรรม which brings two people together if is isn't both of their's.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I'll give it a bash.

I would translate กรรม here as karma more than fate, in other words past actions have enabled this meeting to come about-

Karma enables people to meet

Not the  karma I have towards her

But the karma she has towards me

Which enables us to live our lives together

At one point in time only

And one day we must part

I may have messed  this up as I can't work out why  the other person's karma caused this meeting to occur and not the writer's. Perhaps the writer thought the other person was a better person and had thus 'earned' good karma to enable their meeting and happiness to occur. Though the pessimistic last line suggests the karma is not that strong!

Thank you for the answers on this puzzle.

I found the text (image) where a lady chat-partner had used it to replace her personal photo on her LINE profile.

As yet I haven't even met her .. but no thanks to the LINE timeline which allows anyone to see who is in contact with me.

(I have since deleted all my timeline content and don't allow further postings)

I asked my former SIL to translate the text for me.

Predictably she wanted to know "who had sent me" the text ..

Then she said she could not translate it to English but said that "some lady not happy with you" 

So it appears Thai script in some cases is not very specific in it's meaning ( maybe like English poetry? )

The translation of "ไม่....ก็ " is actually "If not...then...".  (not "Not... but..")

So it goes:

Draws people towards each other.

If not the karma I owe that person,

then the karma he/she owes me,

leading us to share our lives,

only for a period of time,

And one day we must part.

The concept of karma here signifies inevitability, and at the same time, non-permanence.       Almost like a contract, it has a defined quantity of what you lend and what you owe.  Once you pay off your debt, the relationship is over.

hope this makes sense.

So in essence, she is saying she's done with her you.  The karma between the two of you are over-- no hard feelings.

or if she just uses it as her regular profile pic, it doesn't really mean anything beyond thinking it's a cool quote.

Edited by BayLay

I think that you all have done a great job with this piece. I am not sure,  however, that she is saying "Goodbye." Perhaps she is just saying that any relationship she will have  with you is by the rules of Karma merely temporarily or "impermanent".  Perhaps this brief poem is  presenting the concept of "อนิจจตา" or "impermanence". What do you think?

Karma is the deeds you do in a previous life which determines what you are in this life. This means that what happens is predestined by your previous life. So the first part looks like a general statment,
"What people do in a previous life determines that they will meet in this life"
Now the weird bit which seems to refer to them as a couple. Assuming ไม่...ก็...is ' if not.... then... "if it wasnt what I did then it was what you did that determined that we would share only a peoriod of time together and then one day separate."

13 hours ago, BayLay said:

The translation of "ไม่....ก็ " is actually "If not...then...".  (not "Not... but..")

So it goes:

Draws people towards each other.

If not the karma I owe that person,

then the karma he/she owes me,

leading us to share our lives,

only for a period of time,

And one day we must part.

The concept of karma here signifies inevitability, and at the same time, non-permanence.       Almost like a contract, it has a defined quantity of what you lend and what you owe.  Once you pay off your debt, the relationship is over.

hope this makes sense.

Thank you BayLay. Your correct translation of ไม่....ก็  as 'if not......then' cracked this case!

So in essence, she is saying she's done with her you.  The karma between the two of you are over-- no hard feelings.

or if she just uses it as her regular profile pic, it doesn't really mean anything beyond thinking it's a cool quote.

BayLay, she doesn't say 'you' she says 'him'.
Because the subjects are เรา and เขา, is she not explaining what happened to a third person?
If ไม่กรรมเรา ก็กรรมเขา means what you say it means, then she says that 'his กรรม' is responsible for everything, not 'her กรรม'
"No hard feelings" would mean that for her part, he is not to blame which would mean ไม่กรรมเขา .. ก็กรรมเรา . "If not you, then me". Which ever way it is, the implication is that one of them is responsible.
I know that dogs are dogs because of a the bad job they made of being a person in a previous life, so it is logical to assume that whatever befalls us we are deserving of and doesn't concern others.
As a profile I would describe this as a piece of 'fluff' which doesn't describe the person very well at all.

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

BayLay, she doesn't say 'you' she says 'him'.
Because the subjects are เรา and เขา, is she not explaining what happened to a third person?
If ไม่กรรมเรา ก็กรรมเขา means what you say it means, then she says that 'his กรรม' is responsible for everything, not 'her กรรม'
"No hard feelings" would mean that for her part, he is not to blame which would mean ไม่กรรมเขา .. ก็กรรมเรา . "If not you, then me". Which ever way it is, the implication is that one of them is responsible.
I know that dogs are dogs because of a the bad job they made of being a person in a previous life, so it is logical to assume that whatever befalls us we are deserving of and doesn't concern others.
As a profile I would describe this as a piece of 'fluff' which doesn't describe the person very well at all.

Hi tgeezer

Your analysis makes total sense.

I realize that my response in (ID6) was confusing and can be misleading.  That particular point in (ID6) was a direct reply to OP's additional info on (ID4).  It wasn't a part of (ID5.)   My apology.  I tried to edit it again to clarify but seems like it's locked.  I am still figuring out how this software works.

I was following the line of thought where OP mentioned that his former  SIL thought the girl was upset with him...  

Hence, by "you", I was addressing OP directly.  And my answer there was no longer a language translation, but rather a gender and cultural interpretation/speculation  from my perspective (which may be flaw).

I agree with David's point about อนิจจัง or Impermanence being the theme.  With that, it doesn't really matter whose fault it is.   It would happen sooner or later.  No big deal.

And yes, as a profile, it can be just fluff.