Serbian gang arrested in Bangkok for selling fake gold

webfact

Serbian gang arrested in Bangkok for selling fake gold

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A gang of Serbians have been arrested for selling fake gold to shops in the Banglampu area of the capital

When a gold shop owner realized she had been conned of 45,000 baht she contacted her association on the Line application and police were soon onto the gang, reported Daily News.

The gang told Chana Songkram police that they heard the price of gold was good in Thailand and claimed they had no idea what they were selling was fake.

1pm1.jpg

Alexander Despotovich, 40, his wife Vera, 39, and Boris Kusmanowski, 32, were paraded for the press yesterday along with 19 fake necklaces and two bangles.

Sudarat Ongsritrakun, the owner of the Eng Hua Heng gold shop in Jakraphong Road said that Boris had come into her shop to sell a gold item. It was examined and deemed to be gold and 45,000 baht was paid for it.

Later when it was being smelted it was found to be gold on the outside but silver within. Sudarat contacted the Gold Traders' association on the Line application with a picture of Boris taken from her CCTV.

He was found to be at another shop repeating the trick and police soon arrested the entire gang.

They said through an interpreter that they had heard that the price of gold was high in Thailand and decided to make money by bringing gold to sell here. They denied they knew that the gold was fake.

They were all arrested on fraud charges and detained.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-02

As if Thailand doesn't have it's fair share of scammers and  scoundrels

of many other nations already, now come this to add to the fray.....

sell to one or two shops and you might get away with it, but to many

shops with your picture taken?..... daft Serbians....

So they are back to showing criminals faces again,

thought it would not last long.

I thought it would be quite difficult scamming a gold shop,

as I thought they were not into buying gold without Thai

gold markings on them,I think every Gold shop has their

own mark.

regards worgeordie

is pattaya covered by the media extensively or is it a hub of crime? every other thing seems to be happening there. it is surprising that experienced gold traders got conned. there are ways of identity gold purity with very simple tests.

1 hour ago, rak sa_ngop said:

You would have thought that  an experienced gold dealer would have been able to tell it was fake just by its weight and feel in his hand.

Specific gravity of gold 19.3

Specific gravity of silver 10.5

i am not sure whether we are talking of density. alloys can be made to different densities and gold coated.

47 minutes ago, sahibji said:

is pattaya covered by the media extensively or is it a hub of crime? every other thing seems to be happening there. it is surprising that experienced gold traders got conned. there are ways of identity gold purity with very simple tests.

Read the article slowly it's Bangkok not Pattaya.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

own mark.

regards worgeordie

Maybe the gold shop owner thought they were getting the best of some mug who didn't know the value of what they were attempting to sell...

1 hour ago, sahibji said:

is pattaya covered by the media extensively or is it a hub of crime? 

Pattaya, Bangkok and perhaps Phuket & Chiang Mai are the places with English media. The shenanigans in the sticks are in the Thai rags, if anywhere.

3 hours ago, davehowden said:

I thought scamming was a job reserved for Thais !!

after all the pm said thai's were for thai job's , who do these scammers think they are  ? taking a job from a healthy , strong thai thug ?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The gang told Chana Songkram police that they heard the price of gold was good in Thailand and claimed they had no idea what they were selling was fake.

He was sure in a hurry to make the rounds of the gold shops. It the CCTV is working it makes you a big fish in a small pond. As the song goes "When will they ever learn"

Edited by elgordo38

If you are selling gold (Thai Gold) the shops can easily tell if it is genuine. By weight and by marks. Have bought and sold Thai gold a few times. I'm surprised the shops bought this fake gold. More criminals coming in from Eastern Europe. As if we have haven't got enough from other places already. Hope they throw the book at these scum.

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

own mark.

regards worgeordie

Why in the hell do you think they were trying to smelt it down :stoner:

If you were going to smelt the gold anyway, why wouldn't you check (by cutting into it) just before forking over the cash? Even Pawn Stars had an episode where Rick took a large ingot and drilled into it (testing the shavings) before he forked over any cash for the silver bar.

7 hours ago, davehowden said:

I thought scamming was a job reserved for Thais !!

Knew it wouldnt take long before an idiot came along and tried saying this for the 1000th time today.

Well done squire..

Now all we need is someone from the same crowd to come along and say "Good guys in, bad guys out" and we can pretty much close this thread, as all the good sayings have been used already