can you convert an oa visa to an o visa

I am pretty sure my friend has an OA visa which he obtained in the US and is planning on going to immigration. I am not familiar with OA visas so my questions are "Does he go to immigrations in 90 days from the date of issuance of the OA visa or from the date he initially entered Thailand on the OA visa?" A second question is " Can he convert his OA visa to an O visa at immigration, and if so, what is required for him to do so?" If he can't then what is required from him when he goes to immigration with his OA visa besides showing a bank account with 800,000 baht which has been seasoned for 3 months.

A OA visa allows multiple one year entries for a year from the date of issue. It is possible to get a almost 2 year total stay by doing an entry just before it expires and getting new one year entry. When his total stay is near ending he can apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement by showing the required financial proof.

It is not possible to change non immigrant visa categories without going to an embassy or consulate for a new visa.

He will need to reports of staying longer than 90 consecutive days in the country at immigration.

With an O-A Visa he gets 12 months every time he enters Thailand up to the expiry date of the Visa.

He does a border run just before it expires and gets another 12 months.

During the second year he needs a re entry permit if he plans on leaving the country.

He has to report his address to Immigration after every 90 days of consecutive stay.

Why would he want a Non Imm O Visa?

I thought with an OA visa you have to go through the whole process every year or two  whereby you have to bring a medical report,police verification, bank statement,etc to the US Embassy or consulate to get another OA visa.With an O visa it is pretty straight forward whereby you just do an extension of stay for another year. I didn't realize you can do an extension of stay based on retirement when his total stay is near ending with the OA visa.So another question is once you do an extension of stay based on retirement and get a re-entry permit, would you do this for successive yearly stays in Thailand?

Edited by watgate

2 hours ago, watgate said:

So another question is once you do an extension of stay based on retirement and get a re-entry permit, would you do this for successive yearly stays in Thailand?

Yes.

Re-entry permit is optional of course.

Many (like me) are in the country for years without leaving and so no need for a re-entry permit.

2 hours ago, watgate said:

I thought with an OA visa you have to go through the whole process every year or two  whereby you have to bring a medical report,police verification, bank statement,etc to the US Embassy or consulate to get another OA visa.With an O visa it is pretty straight forward whereby you just do an extension of stay for another year. I didn't realize you can do an extension of stay based on retirement when his total stay is near ending with the OA visa.So another question is once you do an extension of stay based on retirement and get a re-entry permit, would you do this for successive yearly stays in Thailand?

Apply for 12 month extensions every year. Easy to do.