Studio or 1-bedroom in Bangkok

In January 2016 in Chiangmai, I ran into a guy teaching in Bangkok who was touring his mom around. I said I’d like to rent a studio or 1-bedroom in Bangkok first for one month every January/February and then in a few years relocate here. But I said it might be a little expensive.

He said no way. He’s got a studio within a 10-minute walk of Thonglor BTS for B8000/month. I said yeah but it must be small, old, noisy, nothing works, etc. He said, “No it’s great. No problems like that.” I asked how he found it and he said that after living in a school-provided place for a year, he made personal contacts that got him the place. I asked for the contact and he said he didn’t remember right off the bat since it was 3 years ago but he’d email me. Well, he never did.

So my question is, how can I get hooked up with something like that? Yes, I know. B8000 in central Sukhumvit is a stretch. But I don’t think it’s much of a stretch if I live farther out (see below). Ideal budget is B10-20,000 per month. Closer to 10 is better. Over 20 only for an exceptional place. An internet search for real estate agents pulls up ones dealing mostly in upmarket units, with a very few in the range that guy’s paying.

Just want a clean, very quiet studio/1-bedroom (25-50 square meters) for one person in a relatively new building (1-10 years old?). Also, fast, reliable internet; fully furnished; fridge; aircon, hot water; TV; kitchen (doesn’t need to be big/fancy—just enough to do a little cooking now and then); washing machine (optimal, but not necessary—can take laundry out); and elevator if located on a high floor. Need to be able to use English for maintenance requests, etc. I’d like more of a “high-rise” type (in quotes because it can be like 5 storeys—I just prefer the “high-rise” style: key-card access, etc., but I don’t care if it has security guards, etc. and don’t need fitness centers or a swimming pool) than a “house/villa-type” place. I don’t plan to drive a car, so parking is not necessary.

I don’t mind living far from the center, but I’d like to be within a 5-minute walk of an MRT station or a BTS Sukhumvit (not Silom) line station. I don’t want to be outside the MRT/BTS system.

I’ve lived in Asia for 20 years, so I’m familiar with expat living and know I’m suited for it. I’ve been to Bangkok many times, often for weeks at a time, and know it’s a place I’d like to try living in. I’m strictly looking to rent—not buy. For the first few years, I need a place that just does 1-month leases. After that, I can go longer term. Easy for me to visit Bkk and have a look at places.

Answers that are helpful: Sure, here’s the real estate agent I used; Here are some resources; Here are some agents that come highly recommended; Well, that’s a bit of a tall order, but if you’re willing to sacrifice a couple of your requirements or shell out a bit more money, this might help; etc.

Answers that are not helpful: That guy was lying; You are dreaming. You’ll never find anything like that. Bangkok’s more expensive than that; Read the forum, plenty of info here; etc.  (I’m sure there’s info on the forum, but not specifically about my needs or anything similar within the first 20 pages of the forum—and the forum search doesn’t turn up results that address my question, though one poster recommended http://mrtbtscondobangkok.com/, which  is actually a decent-looking site). 

Thanks for your help.