Welcome to Pattaya - Finnish couple on first day in the resort latest victims of snatch theft

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My friend lost a 5 Baht gold chain while driving his bike on Beach Road Jomtien so he bought a 5 Baht Copy Chain and this time the chain was to strong so he was pulled off his bike again Breaking his shoulder...Some don't learn easily..

10 minutes ago, geisha said:

I have a neighbour who wears heavy gold jewellery and real stones . She's been here a few times running through winter. I have warned her about this jewellery as you can't really miss it. She hasnt taken it off tho. I was badly hurt when two guys on a motorbike tried to rip my small bag off my arm. Unfortunately the strap didn't break ( I didn't try to keep it !) and I was dragged on the ground, facial, ribs and knees badly marked. A few hospital visits and sat in my condo for 6 weeks to heal. 

So i know I shouldn't carry a bag, but where the hell do you put a comb, your keys, some money and a pack of Kleenex when you go shopping ? 

My sincere sympathies and I trust you recovered in body and soul . Have you considered one of those belly slung bags that would defeat any bag snatcher and would not even think of having a go be cause too chunky . 

4 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

I almost lost my cookies when my wife proudly displayed junk jewellery she purchased from a place called "pink pussy" it's her outdoor costume jewellery so she wont get robbed.

But she will get dragged down the street.That is why Ozzys like the Chang singlet,boardies and thong look.Nothing to steal,you know it makes sense.

4 hours ago, sahibji said:

I feel it is OK to wear jewellery but it should be suitable covered so that it does not attract attention easily.

So why wear it if is covered.Isn't the whole idea of wearing jewellery to show where you are on the social ladder.

@superal, yes, I did consider, but apparently these cross shoulder bags that lay in your front are much more dangerous than a shoulder strap one, as they really don't break and you can get dragged further . I do still carry a bag, keep to the inside of pavements, near other people, busy streets, and don't go out for a meal with one evenings, although I'm usually back home by 9pm. I'm ok, thanks, suffer a bit from lack of confidence , and have some lovely knee scars to tell the story. Luckily my facial wounds healed. 

2 hours ago, thai3 said:

Pattaya, never seems anything good reported from there, just crime of one sort or another and foreigners going off the rails,  getting killed in accidents, being shot or topping themselves.

Remember,this is TVF editor who chooses what to put out to the members.Must be a daily battle with the TVF Property editor.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Tourists should be made aware to watch motorcyclists, wear their carry bags such that they can't easily be snatched, and YES, don't dress like a movie star in Thailand, unless you have bodyguards

Safer to have a sacrificial bag than to risk getting knocked over and/or dragged behind a scooter if they can't do a quick snatch job.

18 minutes ago, littlepe said:

This is a delight for the Pattaya bashers, sitting in their remote rural village, all alone, bored, no telly, no newspaper, no wifi, nothing to do - but hey - along comes a chance to bash Pattaya -  but secretly wishing they were there.

55.you are sooooo wrong.Obviously you haven't been north of Sukhumvit Road.We have all of the above and no bloody traffic or bag snatches.

36 minutes ago, littlepe said:

This is a delight for the Pattaya bashers, sitting in their remote rural village, all alone, bored, no telly, no newspaper, no wifi, nothing to do - but hey - along comes a chance to bash Pattaya -  but secretly wishing they were there.

Secretly wishing they were there ????

3 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Please don't mention Singapore and Pattaya , in the same sentence....it's like daylight and darkness..

Singapore is pure class, amd the Quality Tourists are in Abundance..

I cannot fault the place...

Totally safe and enjoyable.

As for Pattaya ??? Well say no more.....

Pattaya is the snatch capital of the world.

5 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

Punishment leniency is part of it. But, the core issue is how "something for nothing" entitlement cultures have proliferated disrespect for authority and work ethic.

And "nothing" is usually what happens to them when they take "something".

That IS the core issue.

Anyone stupid enough to show off their wealth around there neck without feeling the need to hide it or leave it at home deserves all they get IMO 

It's no different than flashing ca$h in public . it doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the outcome of waving a bunch money about ...or gold ...same outcome in most cities .

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

You just read TVF too much and your statement is a huge exaggeration. You think this info is all over Finland? Really get a grip.  I also would be more prudent ONLY in Pattaya. I wear an expensive watch and sometimes a ring and never feel it's foolish in Bangkok. I  have friends who live here full time and I'm here 1/2 the year and I talk to many tourists  and I've met no one who has had this happen in Bangkok. I am not saying crime is non existent,  but for Bangkoks huge population the tourist and busy areas are quite safe.

What I think should be mandatory is every hotel and guest house in Pattaya give a friendly but truthful notice to everyone in their room about snatch and grab crimes and a few others like pickpockets in several different languages. Ive seen this in a few hotels here and in other countries and I always appreciate it and it just makes me THINK a little but never scared or frightened. 

I have been here seventeen years! obviously you have not heard about the snatches in soi 4 and sukhumvit. but it is easy when you have your head in the sky. finland? never heard of it BUT the tourist companies if they are worth their  weight in salt should warn their tourist about the pitfalls they "may" expect.and tourist should have a "little" common sense when traveling in certain areas.

34 minutes ago, captspectre said:

I have been here seventeen years! obviously you have not heard about the snatches in soi 4 and sukhumvit. but it is easy when you have your head in the sky. finland? never heard of it BUT the tourist companies if they are worth their  weight in salt should warn their tourist about the pitfalls they "may" expect.and tourist should have a "little" common sense when traveling in certain areas.

Let me enlighten you then since you have been here 17 years. Finland is a country in Northern Europe.  The post on TVF was about a woman from Finland who had her necklace ripped off her ( since you did not read the post hence your stupid comment)  many Europeans and others come here on their own and not with a tourist group ( which you seem to assume is the way tourists always come here from your statement above) many tourists are here for their first or second trip and they would not know about snatch and grab type crimes in Pattaya if they specifically were not told about it or read about it. That is why I suggested the hotels and guest houses in Pattaya leave a notice in the rooms.  I have heard about these crimes before but you also did not read my post fully before either hence your above comment.  So if you have time read the full original post, then your post and then my previous post in full, it will all be sorted in your head. I also commented that with Bangkoks huge population and large amount of tourists it is amazing how rare these petty crimes are compared to Pattaya. 

7 hours ago, sahibji said:

Pattaya again. Pattaya must be a sure winner for crime.

A word of advise to tourists - DO NOT wear flashy jewellery that attracts attention. Have it suitable covered up while going out in public places. If they can not see it they will attempt to snatch.

If you step out of the door you are in a public place, so why bother wearing it if you have to cover it up?

6 hours ago, thai3 said:

Pattaya, never seems anything good reported from there, just crime of one sort or another and foreigners going off the rails,  getting killed in accidents, being shot or topping themselves.

Been once just for the "experience" - never again - I feel the same way about "tiger temples" and zoos here.

34 minutes ago, sambum said:

If you step out of the door you are in a public place, so why bother wearing it if you have to cover it up?

It's a bit like using your phone in a thunderstorm ......why take the chance ? wait till the storm passes .....IE ..wear your jewelery on display in a safe place  if u have to ....  temptation breeds opportunists ! 

It's no surprise anyone streetwise is less likely to be robbed 

8 hours ago, arrowsdawdle said:

Not just Pattaya, don't wear jewelry on the street anywhere, anytime.

Not just Pattaya but it is certainly near the top of the list.  I also find it hard to understand why a normal tourist couple would want to go to Pattaya at all.  Thailand has some great destinations, beautiful beaches and many interesting cultural attractions.  Pattaya is the opposite, just a cesspit of lowlifes. 

9 hours ago, Dararasmi said:

Don't go to Pattaya...just too much of a risk. 

You have this risk all over the world, lessen learned don't wear expensive stuff when on vacation not even New York City. Pickpockets and snatches happens in New York everyday and never get in the press. I had my camera bag cut off walking on Broadway. You think you are safe but you are not anywhere. I personally feel more safe in Pattaya then New York.

It is definately Pattaya's fault, and the victim who shouldn't be stupid enought to think she would be safe walking the street!!

OR... maybe like all the tourist areas, times are hard!!  Anyone will do what they have to to feed their children (or yabba habit, as the case may be).......

When will people ever learn... don't parade your jewelry for all to see and make yourself a target!!!

They'll probably say in their defense... this wouldn't happen in my country, well guess what, you ain't in your country!!!

Brains left at home once again....

Archived