Angelina Jolie slams Trump travel ban, calls for 'compassionate America'

webfact

Angelina Jolie slams Trump travel ban, calls for 'compassionate America'

REUTERS

r17.jpg

Director and cast member Angelina Jolie poses at the premiere of "By the Sea" during the opening night of AFI FEST 2015 in Hollywood, California November 5, 2015. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress and human rights advocate Angelina Jolie on Thursday said U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order barring travellers from seven Muslim-majority countries hurts vulnerable refugees and could fuel extremism.

Without directly naming Trump, Jolie, who has served as a special envoy for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, said in a New York Times opinion piece that discriminating based on religion was "playing with fire."

The Oscar-winning actress added that as the mother of six children, "all born in foreign lands and ... proud American citizens," she believed in the need for the nation's safety, but said decisions should be "based on facts, not fear."

"I also want to know that refugee children who qualify for asylum will always have a chance to plead their case to a compassionate America. And that we can manage our security without writing off citizens of entire countries — even babies — as unsafe to visit our country by virtue of geography or religion," she wrote.

Trump's executive order bans citizens of Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering the United States for 90 days. Refugee admissions were suspended for 120 days while Syrian refugees were barred indefinitely.

The move has not only caused consternation for the nations involved but among other Muslim-majority countries, allies such as Germany and Britain and career State Department officials.

Hollywood's celebrities have also been using their spotlight to slam the president's ban.

Jolie, 41, has received an honorary Oscar for her humanitarian work. Last year, she visited refugee camps in Lebanon and Greece, meeting with families fleeing war in the Middle East.

The actress warned that by "implying Muslims are less worthy of protection, we fuel extremism abroad."

Jolie's op-ed is the first comment she has made publicly since filing for divorce in September from her husband, actor Brad Pitt. The former couple share three adopted children from Cambodia, Vietnam and Ethiopia, and three biological children, who were born in France and Namibia.

(Reporting by Piya Sinha-Roy; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-03

40 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Luckily her dad has more common sense, compassion is not a part of national security, sorry little girl.

Another very wealthy entertainer, born to a wealthy entertainer father.

Of course she's qualified to know what's best for politics and poor people.

I don't recall her complaining when Obama did it:

"The Department of Homeland Security today announced that it is continuing its implementation of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 with the addition of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen as three countries of concern, limiting Visa Waiver Program travel for certain individuals who have traveled to these countries. "

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

Who the f#@k cares what a dis-functional actress has to say? Hollywood had so much invested in HRC to win, having lost they are gunning for Trump, Because they couldn't buy the election. The distortion that mainstream media are putting on Trump policies, and the gullibility of the populace to swallow everything the media feeds them is getting boring.

I don't recall her complaining when Obama did it:

"The Department of Homeland Security today announced that it is continuing its implementation of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act of 2015 with the addition of Libya, Somalia, and Yemen as three countries of concern, limiting Visa Waiver Program travel for certain individuals who have traveled to these countries. "

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2016/02/18/dhs-announces-further-travel-restrictions-visa-waiver-program

You don't see the difference between that and a travel ban?

sent using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Oh man that's bad for Trump. Angelina's opinion is so important
. Almost at the level of Barney the dinosaur.

Trump won the electoral votes partly because he's a TV celebrity.  Americans have strong opinions about celebrities, usually blowing them up to almost God-like status.  If a famous celebrity showed up in a grocery store in Podunk Iowa, many of the regular people there would be oohing and ahhing, giggling in awe, and asking for autographs.  Trump loves that sort of adulation when it's directed at him.  But as soon as a celebrity like DiNero, Jolie or Streep says non-laudatory things about him, Trump can't help but immaturely denigrate the speaker.

Similarly, Trump gained lots of a free publicity from newspapers.  One estimate:  $250 million worth during the campaign.  So he loves publicity when it puts his name in bold letters on the front page, as long as it's not denigrating.  However, when the print media doesn't praise Trump, he goes ballistic and says he hopes they go out of business.  He also says "they're the most dishonest people in the world".  That's an actual quote, and he has said that numerous times in recent weeks.   Trump has such a low class character.   If I had a son, I would dearly hope he didn't emulate Trump.

It is good to see this topic has been treated as it should be (by both sides) here at TV.  Celebrity can't keep her mouth shut. No one cares.

No one is belittling her or her achievements.

No one is trying to claim she has a god-given right to tell us all how it is.

Well done TV.

Angelina Jolie has been a  UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador and has spent considerable time in some of the roughest refugee camps and crisis around the world.   She made the single biggest contribution by a private individual to assist refugees in UN history.   She has also adopted children from war-torn countries, so I would say she is better placed than many to comment on the effects of the Trump travel ban than most, if not all, people on this forum.   

Whether you agree with her or not, she's been there, done that and got the T-shirt.   She has put her money where her mouth is.   

I'm sick and tired of elitist celebrities telling us how to vote or how to feel. Virtue signaling doesn't change the world no matter how good it might make you feel. Most of these people are out of touch with the little man it's not even funny. Well, I take that back, when they have a meltdown because they can't fathom the idea that some people might not think they way they do, it's pretty darn funny :partytime2:

Edited by Rigby40

21 minutes ago, Rigby40 said:

I'm sick and tired of elitist celebrities telling us how to vote or how to feel. Virtue signaling doesn't change the world no matter how good it might make you feel. Most of these people are out of touch with the little man it's not even funny. Well, I take that back, when they have a meltdown because they can't fathom the idea that some people might not think they way they do, it's pretty darn funny :partytime2:

Nice try, but you might want to find someone else to pick on.   She's done her part.   Her remarks were addressed to the President, not you and she's not telling you how to think.  She is better positioned than most to comment on the impact of the Executive Order and that's what she is commenting on.   

30 minutes ago, Credo said:

Nice try, but you might want to find someone else to pick on.   She's done her part.   Her remarks were addressed to the President, not you and she's not telling you how to think.  She is better positioned than most to comment on the impact of the Executive Order and that's what she is commenting on.   

Nice try on your part but first off if you actually read my comment you'd realize that I was talking about all celebrities, not just her.

Or are you completely oblivious to the videos they have put out compelling us little people to vote a certain way?

Secondly, Trump's policies are a reflection of most of his constituency so NO, it's not just directed at Trump.

And I applaud her for going over to those countries to help the poor / displaced. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever.

Try agin.

Edited by Rigby40

11 hours ago, CharlieK said:

The distortion that mainstream media are putting on Trump policies, and the gullibility of the populace to swallow everything the media feeds them is getting boring.

Exactly! Do have hope though, many of us are starting to wake up. 

13 hours ago, the guest said:

US is right to protect it's borders. EU is a shining example of what can happen if you have no strong leader in power.

But this travel ban has nothing to do with the US's borders.  The US isn't geographically the same as the EU.  Completely different.

2 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Nice try on your part but first off if you actually read my comment you'd realize that I was talking about all celebrities, not just her.  Or are you completely oblivious to the videos they have put out compelling us little people to vote a certain way? Secondly, Trump's policies are a reflection of most of his constituency so NO, it's not just directed at Trump. And I applaud her for going over to those countries to help the poor / displaced. I don't have a problem with that whatsoever.

Try agin.

I don't usually respond to trolls, but I'll make an exception.   

This topic is about one specific person and her comments.   

Just now, Credo said:

I don't usually respond to trolls, but I'll make an exception.   

This topic is about one specific person and her comments.   

Because my opinion differs from yours makes me a troll? Hmm ok, suit yourself guy. 

Leonardo DiCaprio will be one of the next celebrities to speak out.  He's already a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN, focusing on Climate Change, so it's inevitable he will clash with Trump.  

When that happens, Trump will do his usual immature knee jerk response:  try to denigrate DiCaprio.  Stay tuned, there are many more celebrities who are going to speak out against Trump and Bannon.  I mention Bannon, because he is to Trump what Cheney was to Bush Jr.  In other words, Bannon will increasingly be running the presidency while Trump increasingly distances  himself from a job he neither wants nor is qualified for. 

Leonardo DiCaprio will be one of the next celebrities to speak out.  He's already a Goodwill Ambassador for the UN, focusing on Climate Change, so it's inevitable he will clash with Trump.  
When that happens, Trump will do his usual immature knee jerk response:  try to denigrate DiCaprio.  Stay tuned, there are many more celebrities who are going to speak out against Trump and Bannon.  I mention Bannon, because he is to Trump what Cheney was to Bush Jr.  In other words, Bannon will increasingly be running the presidency while Trump increasingly distances  himself from a job he neither wants nor is qualified for. 

So DiCaprio is some kind of brilliant climatologist that the President should defer to?

But this travel ban has nothing to do with the US's borders.  The US isn't geographically the same as the EU.  Completely different.

The US also has every right to control immigration. Immigration is supposed to benefit the county, not be a drag on the taxpayers and culture.

Non US citizens have a "right" to immigrate or even travel to the US.

Neither do non US citizen have any rights under the US Constitution.

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

When that happens, Trump will do his usual immature knee jerk response:  try to denigrate DiCaprio.  

That will be easy (denigrating dicaprio)….hes a moderately good actor who lucked out with some good scripts…good for him.

Now he's just trying to "create his own personal brand" which involves allegiance to all these touchy feel good causes.

38 minutes ago, mogandave said:

The US also has every right to control immigration. Immigration is supposed to benefit the county, not be a drag on the taxpayers and culture.

Non US citizens have a "right" to immigrate or even travel to the US.

Neither do non US citizen have any rights under the US Constitution.

110% agree with you!  But our big problem is the porous southern border.  Not potential immigrants/travelers from Somalia or the other 6 countries.

Trump's going after the low hanging fruit.  He's not tackling the tougher problems associated with immigration.  The wall not being one of the tougher issues either...