Academics propose incorporating Thai culture in 4.0 projects

webfact

Academics propose incorporating Thai culture in 4.0 projects

BANGKOK, 3 February 2017 (NNT) - Academics have proposed incorporating aspects of Thailand’s culture into the government’s 4.0 agendas in order to increase their economic value. 

Kasetsart University has organized a seminar on the social and cultural impacts of the Thailand 4.0 economic agenda. Chancellor Emeritus of Dhurakij Pundit University Varakorn Samakoses said that the move towards a 4.0 industry must also see culture as an economic asset that adds value to products and services. In addition, the chancellor said the country must support research on Thai culture as a valued commodity, citing examples such as the country’s Muay Thai industry or promoting the country as a destination for filmmaking. 

The seminar set out that government agencies can blend the country’s cultural aspects with its development projects, such as incorporating traditional Thai design into transportation infrastructure or supporting research and development of traditional Thai medicine.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-02-03

Hmm, do these academics ever think about what they are saying? 

Or are they just justifying their position and spouting off any old BS on the latest trend/fad making sure they include the words "Thai" and "culture" as often as possible? 

1 minute ago, Orac said:

Got to take my hat off to them for having the initiative to proactively build patronage, nepotism and corruption into their new business plan.

The plan is 100s of years old. Thailand 4.0 whereas rest of the world is at 14.0 by now. But then rest of the world does not exist for many thais. Many have hardly been in Bkk. ???

2 hours ago, Mook23 said:

The plan is 100s of years old. Thailand 4.0 whereas rest of the world is at 14.0 by now. But then rest of the world does not exist for many thais. Many have hardly been in Bkk. ???

It's easy to spot the countrypeople when they are in BKK...they bring their own culture with them...

They like to stand in walkways, hesitate before stepping on an escalator, are standing still for every streetvendor, pick their nose a lot, can change direction anytime while driving the car in BKK, can also stop anytime while walking. They like to walk next to eachother even in very busy places, the boys can even hold eachothers hands.

"...culture as an economic asset that adds value to products and services..."

And, just as easily, can also take value away from products and services !!!

Case in point - in a culture where saving face is everything, how will Thailand 4.0 accommodate เสียหน้า ???

3 hours ago, Mook23 said:

Many have hardly been in Bkk

They are the nice ones around 60 million all people you could invite for dinner

But thai 1.2.3.4 is driven by those in BKK and that is the problem!

I would not employ one to empty my cesspit TOTAL

53 minutes ago, Thian said:

It's easy to spot the countrypeople when they are in BKK...they bring their own culture with them...

They like to stand in walkways, hesitate before stepping on an escalator, are standing still for every streetvendor, pick their nose a lot, can change direction anytime while driving the car in BKK, can also stop anytime while walking. They like to walk next to eachother even in very busy places, the boys can even hold eachothers hands.

The nerve of those people. Why can't they stay where they belong, with their inadequate schools and hospitals, and grow your rice while Bangkok's preferred government deprives them of the rights to universal suffrage, human dignity, and speaking against injustice? I hope you don't consider yourself a patriot...

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Hmm, do these academics ever think about what they are saying? 

Or are they just justifying their position and spouting off any old BS on the latest trend/fad making sure they include the words "Thai" and "culture" as often as possible? 

No!

Obviously should then be called "Thainess 4.0" and based simply on the number of attempts needed to do a simple task that others only require one.

Singapore is spending lots of money coming up with the best curriculum and finding (poaching) the best teachers.   Perhaps learn from them.

Thailand can teach whatever it wants so long as it achieves results in better math, reading and writing scores.  They seem to neglect talking about the basics.  Failure is the what they are choosing.  

When you first move to Thailand, Thai culture is what they tell you it is. When you've lived here a few years, you'll be able to interpret it for yourself. 

A big big part of Thai culture for me is not criticising or being negative about stuff. Being a cynic I have my interpretation for why that is. For other foreigners, they have a more positive interpretation. 

I guess my point is why does anyone have to shape ideas around any culture. Why can't ideas be shaped around common sense, logic, reason and fairness? 

On 2/3/2017 at 9:39 PM, Reigntax said:

No!

Obviously should then be called "Thainess 4.0" and based simply on the number of attempts needed to do a simple task that others only require one.

thats  a  bit  optimistic  isnt  it?