Bicycle pump recommendations?

mrjohn

Could anyone recommend a good quality bicycle pump to pump the tyres up to around 50 psi.
It doesn’t necessarily need to be portable as I always check the tyre pressures before I go out .
I have bought a number of cheap ones over the years and they have all been next to useless. Even if they can pump up to a decent pressure they tend to start leaking fairly quickly.
I’m happy to spend more money but only if the pump will actually do the job.
So if anyone has personal experience and can recommend a brand name or give me some guidance I would be very grateful.

Many thanks for that.
The bike shops in my area are not particularly sophisticated.

Just looked on Lazada and can’t find it although they do have some Topeak portable ones, all of which are well over 1000 Bht

Anybody had any experience with Beto pumps?

This sort of thing:
http://www.lazada.co.th/beto-vauko-beto-tyre-floor-hand-pump-cmp-111ag1-8322065.html

I bought a Beto floor/track pump from the cycle shop in Chalong a couple of months ago. The pressure gauge appears tobe accurate. It will do Presta and Schrader and came with a couple of other little adapters which I guess are for footballs etc.

The pump works fine. I pump my road bike tyres to 120 psi with very little effort.

I think I paid about 650 baht which I thought was a bargain. There was another pump there at twice that price but I can't remember what make that one was. 

Very happy with my Beto.

Many thanks for your reply Paulsingle.

That sounds like just the sort of thing I’m looking for. And just the right sort of price too.
Do you happen to know the model number?

Since I am nowhere near Phuket my best chance of buying one Is probably Lazada.

Does it look like one of these?

Beto Pump 2.jpg

Edited by mrjohn

4 hours ago, mrjohn said:

Many thanks for your reply Paulsingle.

That sounds like just the sort of thing I’m looking for. And just the right sort of price too.
Do you happen to know the model number?

Since I am nowhere near Phuket my best chance of buying one Is probably Lazada.

Does it look like one of these?

Beto Pump 2.jpg

Mine has a silver body and slightly different shaped handle but otherwise looks the same. I can't see a model number but the gauge goes to 160 psi so I think it's the same pump.

• 2 weeks later...

The best and most reliable track/floor pump I've owned is an Airace Infinity. Replaced my Joe Blow (Top Peak) which died after 18months, this one is now 4 years old and still going strong, well worth the 1600THB price.

I got it from Km8Bicycle in Bangkok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks for all the replies to this topic.

In common with many other forum members I do not spend as much time here as I used to, so I apologise for not getting back sooner.

However much advice you get from this forum, if you live out in the sticks (well, nearly) like I do, you have to buy whatever is available locally.
So, first I checked my local shops. There was not much choice, in fact a newly opened shop had only one type.
The young guy in the shop assured me that it was very good. The brand was “Team” and made in Taiwan.
It was marked at 680 bht but I could have it for 650.

Anyway, I was 2 days away from having to take a trip to the big city so I thought I’d leave it until I had a look round there.
I checked out two shops and they had the same brand also at 680 but no discount. They also assured me it was a pretty good pump.

I decided that out of some sort of loyalty to my local shop (and, of course because it was 30 bht cheaper) I would wait until I got back home. Anyway, if it turned out to be a piece of junk I could always easily go back and complain about it.

So, the following morning I go into the local shop and was about to buy the pump for 650 when a woman (who I assume was the boss) appeared and immediately cut the price to 600 bht!

I will never understand Thai business practice, without even asking for it I got an 80 Bht discount.

So far it works fine and I’m very happy with it.

Many thanks for all the replies to this topic.

In common with many other forum members I do not spend as much time here as I used to, so I apologise for not getting back sooner.

However much advice you get from this forum, if you live out in the sticks (well, nearly) like I do, you have to buy whatever is available locally.
So, first I checked my local shops. There was not much choice, in fact a newly opened shop had only one type.
The young guy in the shop assured me that it was very good. The brand was “Team” and made in Taiwan.
It was marked at 680 bht but I could have it for 650.

Anyway, I was 2 days away from having to take a trip to the big city so I thought I’d leave it until I had a look round there.
I checked out two shops and they had the same brand also at 680 but no discount. They also assured me it was a pretty good pump.

I decided that out of some sort of loyalty to my local shop (and, of course because it was 30 bht cheaper) I would wait until I got back home. Anyway, if it turned out to be a piece of junk I could always easily go back and complain about it.

So, the following morning I go into the local shop and was about to buy the pump for 650 when a woman (who I assume was the boss) appeared and immediately cut the price to 600 bht!

I will never understand Thai business practice, without even asking for it I got an 80 Bht discount.

So far it works fine and I’m very happy with it.

I hope it had a pressure gauge for that. I have a Winn Taiwan one and its very well made