The week that was in Thailand news: Loving Thailand – Snatches and all!

rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Loving Thailand – Snatches and all!

d2d7ff53-f248-49b7-b89e-67caf96e8b2f.jpg

Welcome to the Year of the Rooster! It is gratifying to know that after all these years of selfless devotion in trying to improve Thailand, my time has finally come. It is great to be recognized for one’s contribution to society, rather than just be seen as some cock in a white skin wandering the streets looking for a bar stool.

But in a week of the usual madness of Thaivisa news, it certainly seemed that the mischievous outweighed the good Samaritans among us by about ten to one. Even if some of the stories had my eyes welling with tears reminding me why my soft spot for Thailand is not just a case of being soft in the head.

Firstly, I would like to refer to a former fishing village you may have heard of called Pattaya. I am actually thinking of going to work there – this business of snatching necklaces from the tourists seems like a very lucrative trade with virtually no prospect of either being nicked. Everybody from Chinese to Russians with even a few nice nationalities in between seems to be slathered in available gold when they go out for their street noodles.

Admittedly I would probably need a work permit; surely it can’t be a profession reserved only for Thais?

Barely an hour goes by without some entrepreneurial lad on a motorbike raking in all the money. One victim in the last seven days was a Korean doctor who said he knew what was coming but still went out with a virtual sign in Thai saying I am a walking gold shop, please come in.

On second thoughts Rooster doesn’t do crime, unless you count occasionally feigning an interest in the missus’s nightly soap opera that is. And besides, telling ‘er indoors that I was going to Pattaya to “do a bit of snatch” may be counterproductive to my physical well-being.

While plod was going through the usual motions checking CCTV and filing reports from the necklace-less tourists the military were busy cracking down on the baht buses for parking in the wrong place. Junta bashing Thais were up in arms for depriving the poor souls of their livelihoods while the vehicles were impounded for three days.

Expect an increase in snatches while the drivers attempt to make ends meet.

Rage also featured all over this week. First was the Russian who got all hot under the collarov before he even arrived in the Kingdom. He was on a flight coming into Bangkok. Admittedly there were extenuating circumstance for his rage – it was British Airways – but it was still shocking that the pilot didn’t deem it necessary to get the Thai police on board when they landed.

Apparently the Ruskie was irked that someone was using the loo to evacuate their vodka ahead of him so he started punching everyone. Yes, the cops should have snatched him all right for what is worse for nervous flyers, of which Rooster is one, than commotion in the enclosed space of an aircraft cabin.

Clearly, another reason to fly Aeroflot, where booze is banned, for obvious reasons…..

Further rage – this time the more tradition road variety - was exhibited on the Thai highway when a videoed altercation between a biker and a pick-up had an unlikely denouement. The biker turned the tables when he grabbed the pole he was attacked with and sent his three assailants on their way with a few hefty whacks to the windscreen.

A case of biting off more Somchai than they could chew.

While the final rage was reserved for yours truly when it emerged that True Craperation (no spelling mistake) announced they were cutting another 11 channels and it was quite alright, by their own admission, for them to do so.

True – in all its many reincarnations over the years – are the ultimate in monopolistic muppets and the trading standards authorities, or what passes for them, just let them ride roughshod over the consumer.

If they didn’t have me over a barrel with their English football coverage I think I might take their set top box and shove it in a place where even the Thai sun don’t shine.

Also probably a bit cross was the Aussie DJ convicted of having Ecstasy who has now been transferred to the capital’s notorious “Bangkok Hilton” where room service has to be shared with about 50 others sprawled on the floor.

He is serving TWO life sentences which in the normal run of human existence wouldn’t matter too much. However, given the Thais’ insistence on reincarnation, it does seem a bit over the top.

A snitch led to the snatch of an American up to some mischief in Udon. The Thai press described him as Korean which led me to think, by the same token, they could probably refer to Donald Drumph as Polish next week and get him deported from Washington. This particular US patriot was arrested for “sex with a minor” which conjured up unpleasant images of Maggie Thatcher and Arthur Scargill before I came back to the reality of Thailand and checked my spelling.

In Udon a neighbor had dobbed in the foreigner and the cops found something called “Weeagra” that Rooster had never heard of, naturally. Some forum comment was indignant that the girl concerned was already seventeen and went there willingly.

Methinks, some people might need to check on the Thai law and be careful what they post.

Meanwhile, the guys at the Lat Prao rank had put up a sign saying the horizontally challenged would have to pay five or ten baht more for the right to be porky passengers. Many posters saw nothing wrong with this though the rank soon removed the sign perhaps mindful of a fat cat mafia backlash.

Rooster was left to remember an ex-teaching colleague who, being rather rotund, always bought two seats when travelling from Bangkok to the UK in the holidays. Respect, Catherine, and see you soon for a donut or three.

It was then revealed the new minibuses slated to replace public enemy number one (minivans not the junta) turned out to be a case of mistaken identity. The land department said that the one in the picture spread on social media was a 20-seater – theirs was a 22-seater.

Rooster was no different to many on the forum who pointed out that this could only mean one thing for the future of inter provincial travel – a couple more deaths per accident.

And so to this week’s Rooster awards. “The Job Well Done on Two Counts” award goes to the Pattaya lady boy who after doubtless giving one of the blow variety then snatched his British customer’s 170,000 baht he just had lying about the room and went to Bangkok to spend it on a nose job.

Plod did well, however, to keep their noses to the ground and the “type two Thai” was banged, this time to rights.

While the “Next Time Try Anger Management” award goes to the three security guards in Bangkok facing murder charges after getting upset over twenty baht. Even allowing for the fact that a Thai was kept from his lunch – whatever you do in Thailand don’t do that! -  it did seem a sad waste of an existence.

Finally, though a video shared this week from YouTuber My Mate Nate, which involved torturing a fish had made me cringe, it was two others that really reminded me of why despite all the ups and downs we might experience in Thailand it is still a great place to live.

The first clip was viewed by millions as a kind hearted taxi driver got out of his cab to spiritedly cradle a soi dog in distress that was shuffling pathetically along the road on just its front paws. As soon as the cabbie got close it just walked off nonchalantly and normally without a care in the world.

I’m still chuckling at that one especially as the dog may have just been engaging in a canine version of what the Thais universally refer to as “pulling the strings of a kite”.

The second video featured a 12 year old P6 student called Lisa in the back of her dad’s van, used as a mobile gunsmiths that visits police stations in the city.

Bless you, capable little Lisa and to paraphrase another Magnum owner:

“You made my day!”

Rooster

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-05

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

the military were busy cracking down on the baht buses for parking in the wrong place. Junta bashing Thais were up in arms for depriving the poor souls of their livelihoods while the vehicles were impounded for three days.

Send the military with trucks to Chiang Mai why does Pattaya get all the attention impounding them yet for 3 days wow. Hey military bring your trucks and load em up with motorbikes parked on the sidewalk bring lots of trucks its epidemic here. Again selective policing at work. Make the biggest noise where it will be heard. Ah well wishful thinking. It will dark in a few hours and the motorbikes will again rule the roads here as the plod will have called it a day. Kind of reminds me of that old Looney Tunes cartoon called Sam and Ralph.  

5 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Send the military with trucks to Chiang Mai why does Pattaya get all the attention impounding them yet for 3 days wow. Hey military bring your trucks and load em up with motorbikes parked on the sidewalk bring lots of trucks its epidemic here. Again selective policing at work. Make the biggest noise where it will be heard. Ah well wishful thinking. It will dark in a few hours and the motorbikes will again rule the roads here as the plod will have called it a day. Kind of reminds me of that old Looney Tunes cartoon called Sam and Ralph.  

Point the finger at them!