Pastrami On Rye closed?

stravers

I saw the news this morning (Sun Feb. 5) and drove over there to check.  It was open, and I saw the manager and told him that I heard a horrible rumor that they were going to close.  He confirmed that today was the last day of operation at that location.  The rent was astronomical apparently.  The food will be available only via delivery service starting tomorrow Feb. 6 via Food Panda/door2doorpattaya.com.

A sad day for me as I had one last corned beef sandwich there.

That's too bad I know Sean and his dad put a lot into the place. Perhaps working at Hooters and keeping this place going also became a burden too? I'll miss going there for breakfast. Maybe the old owner can move back from his Porky's location off Jomtien 2nd rd.

There seems to be many expats restaurants owners that are forced to move due to extremely high rent money.

One owner I talked to, got a 30% increase in rent when the contract was due for renewal. He said no thanks and moved out and found a new place.

That previous place is still empty now after 2 years.

Spending millions in decorating the place and only being forced out 2-3 years down the road must very frustrating and expensive.

I also know one out in the Bangsaray area that had same problem and he ended up buying his own place a couple of clicks away with his Thai wife.

I have seen with a couple of my Thai friends that have rented shop space from landlords that these landlords are greedy and clueless. They will ask for a year's deposit ahead of time (usually) and if you end up pulling out because of poor business, the landlord has no mercy; he, can quickly rent the empty shop again making another profit. This kind of landlord does not care if there are five T-shirt shops in a row, or five Indian restaurants in a row, or five massage shops in a row. A variety of shops complimenting each other is not in his business brain cell.  And once the landlord sees you being successful...yes, the rent goes up instead of looking at your shop as a magnet to help the other shops to succeed.  And yes, these greedy, clueless landlords (that most likely are financially well off) could not care less if their shop lays empty for a year or two due to a high rent demand...it is called "saving Face". I call it: STUPID

• 2 months later...
On 6.2.2017 at 8:50 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

There seems to be many expats restaurants owners that are forced to move due to extremely high rent money.

One owner I talked to, got a 30% increase in rent when the contract was due for renewal. He said no thanks and moved out and found a new place.

That previous place is still empty now after 2 years.

Spending millions in decorating the place and only being forced out 2-3 years down the road must very frustrating and expensive.

I also know one out in the Bangsaray area that had same problem and he ended up buying his own place a couple of clicks away with his Thai wife.

for operating a successful place for many years there is no way around securing a long term lease or owning the place.

I advise anyone who considers buying a business to not invest in places that have short term leases.

Edited by manarak

12 hours ago, manarak said:

for operating a successful place for many years there is no way around securing a long term lease or owning the place.

I advise anyone who considers buying a business to not invest in places that have short term leases.

Nah

You need to own the building in Thailand 100%.

Only then will you be ahead of the game.

A lease will just bite  you in the ass down the road.   :jap:

Pastrami on Rye, was good,   went in a few times.

That's' a loss for Jomtien.

Edited by onemorechang

On 2/5/2017 at 10:24 AM, matta330 said:

I saw the news this morning (Sun Feb. 5) and drove over there to check.  It was open, and I saw the manager and told him that I heard a horrible rumor that they were going to close.  He confirmed that today was the last day of operation at that location.  The rent was astronomical apparently.  The food will be available only via delivery service starting tomorrow Feb. 6 via Food Panda/door2doorpattaya.com.

A sad day for me as I had one last corned beef sandwich there.

Stand bye for the new Pestrami On Rie Krap.

On 8.4.2017 at 5:05 AM, onemorechang said:

Nah

You need to own the building in Thailand 100%.

Only then will you be ahead of the game.

A lease will just bite  you in the ass down the road.   :jap:

Pastrami on Rye, was good,   went in a few times.

That's' a loss for Jomtien.

a lease registered with the land office is good too.