Transfer Visa to New Passport

g'day folks,

being on  extension of stay married to a thai in my passpot valid until 2019. last year i visited my home country, obtaining a second valid passport expiring 2026. now what happens, when my first passport expires and i need to have my extension transferred to my second passport ???? i understand the first passport is to invalidated at my embassy, and then what about the letter  ???

wbr

roobaa01

14 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

g'day folks,

being on  extension of stay married to a thai in my passpot valid until 2019. last year i visited my home country, obtaining a second valid passport expiring 2026. now what happens, when my first passport expires and i need to have my extension transferred to my second passport ???? i understand the first passport is to invalidated at my embassy, and then what about the letter  ???

wbr

roobaa01

Your existing passport would have to be cancelled. Your embassy should provide you with a letter requesting the stamp transfer.

You would need to do the cancellation early since you will need a year remaining on your passport when you apply for your extension next year.

5 hours ago, localczar said:

right, better than being a simpleton.

So would I be correct in inferring that your friend obtained his "R" visa so as "to perform missionary work or other religious activities with the concurrence of the Thai Ministries or Government Departments concerned"?

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/en/types-of-visa

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Kap Choeng experience this morning:

As foreshadowed in posts 9 & 10 above, I did my 90-day + new p/p transfers at KC this morning. Took some 45 minutes (instead of the usual 5 for 90-day). No problem & no cost.

I had with me copies of the relevant parts of the old + the info part of the new p/p. I did not have a letter from the Oz Embassy because the Embassy places a special stamp in your old p/p when they cancel it, saying: "This p/p has been cancelled & replaced by p/p no. xyz. Any valid visas in this p/p remain valid." KC didn't ask for a letter & I didn't point out the stamp.

They took the trouble to show me, very carefully, the new stamps in my new p/p, alongside those in the old, making sure I was happy with what they had transferred.

Their usual combination of serious work + jokey style. Excellent service. No complaints. 5/5

• 1 year later...

Hi Joe,

I will extend my single entry non-o (marriage) visa in March to 60 days. After the extension I will be getting a new Canadian passport in Bangkok as the pages have run out. 

Does the extension of stay need to be transferred to a new passport? I know visas don't and 1 year extensions have to be transferred. not sure if it's any different for 60 days.

Regards 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Does the extension of stay need to be transferred to a new passport?

If you plan on leaving the country when the 60 day ends you would not need to have it transferred. It can be done on departure from the country by showing both passports.

If you are going to apply for a one year extension it would need to be transferred.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Is the fee for transferring the extension of stay based upon retirement stamp from an old passport to a new passport still 200 Baht?

Also, is the form linked below still the current one please?

https://www.thai-consulate.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/transferstamp.doc

Thank you.

18 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Is the fee for transferring the extension of stay based upon retirement stamp from an old passport to a new passport still 200 Baht?

Also, is the form linked below still the current one please?

Thank you.

september last year I transferred ext of stay + arrival stamp + multiple re-entry

from old to new passport

no fee

this was in Nonthaburi

took about 20 minutes - smooth

11 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

september last year I transferred ext of stay + arrival stamp + multiple re-entry

from old to new passport

no fee

this was in Nonthaburi

I'm confused by this. Why wasn't your arrival stamp put in your new passport when you arrived?

22 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

from old to new passport

no fee

this was in Nonthaburi

Thank you. I have never been to the Nonthaburi immigration office. Are the lines generally shorter there than at Chaeng Wattana?

Also, do you have to reside in Nonthaburi to be permitted to use that office?

39 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Thanks. Also, do you happen to know if this is still the current form linked below?

Not sure about this one is the only one I am aware of. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

It is the same one that is on the immigration website but it is in a PDF format instead of a document.

https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1486548719379.doc

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about this one is the only one I am aware of. Transfer Stamps To A New Passport

It is the same one that is on the immigration website but it is in a PDF format instead of a document.

https://www.immigration.go.th/download/1486548719379.doc

Thank you. They all appear to contain the same information. The Word format ones though are a bit easier to work with I feel, since you can easily fill in the information by computer, and then you also get a bit of a better quality print.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the visa transferred no problem and it only took about 15 minutes.

Now when I eventually go to renew my one year Type-O visa extension, do I need to bring my old passport, or photocopy any of the pages from the old passport to submit with my new 1 year extension of visa application?

Or are they only interested in seeing photocopies of pages from the new passport containing all the transfer of visa stamps in it?

Thanks.

Edited by JimMorris

12 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Now when I eventually go to renew my one year Type-O visa extension, do I need to bring my old passport, or photocopy any of the pages from the old passport to submit with my new 1 year extension of visa application?

No

12 minutes ago, JimMorris said:

Or are they only interested in seeing photocopies of pages from the new passport containing all the transfer of visa stamps in it?

That is all they will want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perfect, thanks. That makes it easy since there are only a couple of stamps in the new passport from when they transferred the visa over.

I forgot to add that there was no fee to be paid to transfer the visa to the new passport.

Edited by JimMorris

16 hours ago, JimMorris said:

I recall some years ago being in the same situation, having obtained a new passport mid term of my extension, and transferred all necessary stamps. During the subsequent retirement extension renewal, I was asked for a copy of the original non-Imm-O stamp from the previous passport. It was not on my 'usual' list and I just felt the guy at Jomtiem asked on a whim. I had the old passport with me so I wagged my tail and went off to get a copy.

I have since kept a few extra copies of this in my 'take to immigration' folder, been there six years not needed!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, jacko45k said:

I recall some years ago being in the same situation, having obtained a new passport mid term of my extension, and transferred all necessary stamps. During the subsequent retirement extension renewal, I was asked for a copy of the original non-Imm-O stamp from the previous passport. It was not on my 'usual' list and I just felt the guy at Jomtiem asked on a whim. I had the old passport with me so I wagged my tail and went off to get a copy.

I have since kept a few extra copies of this in my 'take to immigration' folder, been there six years not needed!

Thank you for the heads up on that. I will bring a copy just in case.

• 3 months later...

Hope someone can help me here. I have just renewed my UK passport in Bangkok. My current nonb extension (in my old passport) has one month remaining. However, I wish to cancel it by flying to Penang. Can I simply take both passports to DonMuang Airport Immigration? Without transferring the extension at Jaeng Wattana? I would rather not waste the space and/or time transferring.

Ten years ago I did just this but quite a lot has changed since then. Hoping UbonJoe sees this as his advice is solid. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Max Ted

10 hours ago, Max Ted said:

Can I simply take both passports to DonMuang Airport Immigration? Without transferring the extension at Jaeng Wattana? I would rather not waste the space and/or time transferring.

Yes you could.

Sort of On the same subject.

Had Non O multi entry visa passport needed renewing. So after last 90 day entry on visa I applied and received new passport. Went to get a new Non o a couple of weeks ago from Savanakhet

Obviously took both passports as entry stamp was in old. Confused the bejusus out of Thai IO on bridge. Was directed to office on left. (No hassle had to go anyway to get car passport updated bar code. All sorted within 5 mins all they did was stamp me out with a note underneath saying admited on xxx on passport number xxx.

Did ask if I should have gone to local Immigration. No was the answer just that IO on booth was new????

Edited by fourpack

• 2 months later...

I didn't want to start a new thread since this one is recent so I will add to it hoping someone scan help?

I have a few pages remaining in my passport and I'm due to go out of Thailand shortly and return on a re-entry permit for my Non O extension of stay. 

If I obtain a new passport whilst in my home country the passport office will cut the corners off my old one making it obsolete and officially I will no longer be able to travel on this passport. However my extension of stay and re-entry permit will be in the old cancelled passport.

Is it really OK to simply carry both passports through border inspection at Suvarnabhumi and then transfer the extension stamp at immigration after im back in BKK?

It sounds a bit dicey? :huh:

On 8/24/2019 at 2:46 AM, NightSky said:

I didn't want to start a new thread since this one is recent so I will add to it hoping someone scan help?

I have a few pages remaining in my passport and I'm due to go out of Thailand shortly and return on a re-entry permit for my Non O extension of stay. 

If I obtain a new passport whilst in my home country the passport office will cut the corners off my old one making it obsolete and officially I will no longer be able to travel on this passport. However my extension of stay and re-entry permit will be in the old cancelled passport.

Is it really OK to simply carry both passports through border inspection at Suvarnabhumi and then transfer the extension stamp at immigration after im back in BKK?

It sounds a bit dicey? :huh:

I'm sure that will work, but @ubonjoe will be along soon to confirm. ???? 

• Thanks 1