Walking and dogs.

emilymat

1 minute ago, connda said:

Great suggestions for a developed country.  Thailand is a developing country.  TIT.  It just doesn't work that way no matter how much you want it to.  Anyway, I left the developed world to get away from that kind of over-regulation and litigation.  That's the real trade-off. 

Well they know how to over regulate work permits procedures for us but for straw dangerous dogs all of sudden they got no clue where to start.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well they know how to over regulate work permits procedures for us but for straw dangerous dogs all of sudden they got no clue where to start.

Yeah, they do cherry pick don't they.  Lol  Like you can't harm a dog which attacks you because it's cruelty to animals, but pet owner can under-feed their dogs, not groom them, not-medicate them, and let them run free in the road.  And yet their owners who have starving, flea-bitten, tick infested, mangy dogs which have been hit by cars aren't considered inflicting cruelty?  Interesting country, huh.

Taser isn't a bad idea as it doesn't hurt anyone...although is it illegal? A stick should be more than sufficient, just bang it on the ground near the dog (no reason to hit the dog). I have been bitten by two different dogs, just walking my puppy. The dogs mostly ignore the puppy as it is quite a bit larger but one ran in for the sneaky bite of my leg when both of our backs are turned. The other one was a fight i stopped with my dog. You will always have at least 5 or 6 dogs show some sort of aggression on a leashed walk, some do attempt to bite my dog but usually it ends after the one bite and we continue along.  A shocking mix of non-desexed, non-trained, hungry, abused dogs in pain and that's the result...a war zone.

In terms of a legal stand point, I have always been of the opinion and have been told that if the dog bites you then the dog is at fault. I know the dog that bit me was unfortunately sent somewhere else due to fear of me prosecuting the owner. My uncle is the police and boss and father the mayor and they went and had a chat to the owner. The dog had previously bitten someone else and was warned by police to not be let out of the yard. As much as the culture dictates other things, usually from my experiences, laws have been pretty normal/common sense. Although, it terms of welfare, there seems to be a few ways to avoid a physical confrontation so it is not needed. 

I have been cycling and walking around that area for the past five years and do agree that there are some very "territorial" dogs  especially  around that "Wat"  area

Mostly I find that most  dogs will lose interest if you just talk in a friendly and non aggressive  manner to them but this is not always true and there are those that insist on being very nasty and aggressive.

For the "Nasties"  I carry on my bike, lodged in an 18" piece of plastic tube " a golf driver shaft" with the head taken off.

This usually does the trick when waved about and they do get the message, there has only been one occasion when I had to actually "Whack" the dog and I got him bang on his head but then felt really sorry for the rest of the day becasue, believe me that dog would have had a tremendous  headache

If I'm walking the old Thai trick of bending down and picking a stone up also works  but I usually carry a 4 foot piece of thickish string for insurance purposes, which can be pulled out of my pocket easily and this seem to fool the dogs into thinking that when it's waved about it is or looks like a stick.

Most of the dogs in this area are not "feral"  and are very fit and healthy, most I think are owned by people who just dont look after them as we in the West would do and during the day they become territorial which is the pack way and congregate mostly on the "Dam road" waiting for the many people who feed them .

I start my cycle ride around 4 0am, and I  am on the dam road about 4 30 am and there are a few dogs around but not in the quantities that you will find after 7 0 am.

From my own experience I think that the worst thing you can do when encountering  aggressive dogs is to act back in an aggressive way. 

I prefer to talk and in a friendly, non threatening  way and for me this seems to work more than not!

7 hours ago, thairookie said:

The ultrasonic dog repeller device that someone mentioned being sold at a stall near Big C Extra. I found the stall few days back, paid 450 and can now confirm it works neither on dogs nor cat.

No surprises there. Like those plug-in insect/rodent repellents.

I used to carry pepper spray on my walks through the remote areas of Jomtien.  Only once did I feel threatened enough to want to use it.  I decided to test the spray can while a pack of dogs was about 100m away but steadily approaching.  The spray did work and just the spray sound stopped the dogs dead in their tracks.  I doubt they've ever been pepper sprayed before, so guess the psshh sound is annoying/threatening enough?  Anyway, they turned around and sauntered away.

As an aside, one of my scariest moments was approaching a small untended group of buffalos on the road.  I had NO idea if they were going to be friendly or hostile, but just stayed my course and walked through the herd.  They couldn't have been more passe.

7 hours ago, wpcoe said:

I used to carry pepper spray on my walks through the remote areas of Jomtien.  Only once did I feel threatened enough to want to use it.  I decided to test the spray can while a pack of dogs was about 100m away but steadily approaching.  The spray did work and just the spray sound stopped the dogs dead in their tracks.  I doubt they've ever been pepper sprayed before, so guess the psshh sound is annoying/threatening enough?  Anyway, they turned around and sauntered away.

As an aside, one of my scariest moments was approaching a small untended group of buffalos on the road.  I had NO idea if they were going to be friendly or hostile, but just stayed my course and walked through the herd.  They couldn't have been more passe.

I believe pepper spray is banned in Thailand.