How dangerous is Yala for a Farang?

kikenyoy

I have lived in Thailand for 11 years and have traveled through about half of the country. I'd love to eventually visit every province, but I considered Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat to not be worth the risk. I have a female friend from Yala who is going back home in a few days and asked me if I want to go. Obviously it will be much safer if I'm with a local.

If the only concern is bombs then I think it's worth the risk. They aren't that frequent and are often small, designed to cause unrest rather than kill from what I understand. Many attacks seem to take place in the middle of the night/very early morning when I will be asleep in my room.

I asked a Thai man I know here in Pattaya and he said the militants want to damage Thailand's reputation and hurt tourism with the attacks and killing a Farang would be a great way to do that. He said the bombs aren't the big risk, the risk is that the wrong person might see a Farang and shoot me. If I will be a target based on my appearance then I won't go. He follows the news but has never been there so I don't know how educated his opinion is.

Are there any Farang living there or who have traveled there recently who can give me more local information?

Thanks in advance.

I would be going there to see a part of Thailand that I've never seen and to experience the culture with locals. If all I cared about is pussy then why would I ever leave Pattaya? I would love to go but I want some educated opinions on how dangerous it would be to go.

<deleted>,  I want to know how likely I am to be injured/killed from visiting there. I'm well aware of the risks of getting involved with a bar girl. LOL.  I've visited over 40 provinces on my own and never had any problems, but the far south is a place where I'd feel a lot safer being with a local. The purpose of going there is to see the province and have a new experience/adventure. I'm not going with the hopes of getting involved with the girl.

I have run into 2 people who went to Kota Bharu to get a new ME non-immigrant visa (via Sungai Kolok). I joked that if you survived that perhaps you deserved the visa. They all admitted that it wasn't all that bad; wasn't much different that most Thai towns, except for a few more security checkpoints.

I will ask a 3rd person who had to work there.  But it wasn't that bad from what I remember.

I just received a reply from one of those who went there and he confirmed that it is no more dangerous than riding a minivan (or driving) anywhere in Thailand.  

Only increased military checkpoints.   Nothing to lose sleep over.  But he didn't go to sightsee.  Just pass through for a day or two.

Another person I knew actually was a teacher in the region, so I hope to hear back from her soon.

,  I want to know how likely I am to be injured/killed from visiting there. I'm well aware of the risks of getting involved with a bar girl. LOL.  I've visited over 40 provinces on my own and never had any problems, but the far south is a place where I'd feel a lot safer being with a local. The purpose of going there is to see the province and have a new experience/adventure. I'm not going with the hopes of getting involved with the girl.

If you like statistics the drive there would probably more risky than living there.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

4evermaat,

Thanks. I'd be very interested to hear what the teacher has to say. But comparing it to a minivan sounds bad lol. Many of those drivers are total maniacs.

alanrchase,

Yes I like statistics. This was interesting.
15823066_1636399593040568_4864547944931901661_n.jpg.8f345bfd11a6291aa89333831c298c81.jpg

Who is the "Teacher"? You asked for advice. The answer is probably in your own mind. Weigh the possibilities of death and make your choice. Numerous places in the world where people are happy to live but not to my personal taste. Only you know who you are.

4evermaat mentioned a teacher he knows who worked in the area.

The reason for making the thread was so I could get enough info to "weigh the possibilities of death and make my choice".

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the bold text. Bit slow at my age but the bold text has helped. Loved your graphic but no mention of "Ferang" deaths in Yala. Go, live, enjoy.

i'm too lazy to type it. When I copy pasted it it was bold. Yes, having stats on Farang deaths would have been very useful but I'd have to know how many live there too. If there were only 10 Farang deaths then I might not worry..but if there were only 10 Farang living there then it would be a huge issue.

i'm too lazy to type it. When I copy pasted it it was bold. Yes, having stats on Farang deaths would have been very useful but I'd have to know how many live there too. If there were only 10 Farang deaths then I might not worry..but if there were only 10 Farang living there then it would be a huge issue.

Ok. Seriously, if you want to visit go visit.
Safe as anywhere else in Thailand. Possibly preferable to Pattaya.

12 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

I have run into 2 people who went to Kota Bharu to get a new ME non-immigrant visa (via Sungai Kolok). I joked that if you survived that perhaps you deserved the visa. They all admitted that it wasn't all that bad; wasn't much different that most Thai towns, except for a few more security checkpoints.

I will ask a 3rd person who had to work there.  But it wasn't that bad from what I remember.

I have been through on a van to Golok maybe 6 - 8 times, yes, you are right, nothing more than roadblocks manned by young kids, but once I saw frantic behavior from some pretty scary army guys on the side of the road - IED maybe? Wanted insurgent? I don't know, but it only takes one incident.

I have ridden through Yala, outskirts of town a few times to Betong, and come across some pretty serious army guys there .. people are ok, although I didn't stop on purpose for a chat, the GPS was going wonky and they came to chat.

Working in Hat Yai, we don't worry about checkpoints - they are lapse and inconvenient - but to work outside Chana - in the way to Pattani - no thanks.

The OP's question - I don't think he has to worry too much, I don't believe the Thai guy who thinks that a farang would be a good target, it depends where the guy is going, there are certain districts that are not cool, there are certain times when tension flares, however it takes one incident and it's game over, but then life's a gamble.

8 hours ago, alanrchase said:

If you like statistics the drive there would probably more risky than living there.

Indeed, 24,000 people are estimated to die on Thailand's roads every year, whilst the war in the south has claimed 6,950 lives in 12 years.

If you're sensible and aren't too conspicuous you should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Since 2004 about 5000 people have been killed in the south, I think if you do research you will find that less than 10 of these deaths was foreifgn tourists. Every year approximately 26 ooo people get killed in road accidents and about the same number (5000)  are murdered. So your chance of dying in a road accident is much higher than your chance of being killed by militants. As for militants targeting foreign tourists =crap. When have you read about an attack on foreign tourists in the south? These militants only attacked tourists venues like brothels and bars in the past, muslims dont like these 2 activities and dont like the Thai buddists undermining their morals by running these types of businesses in the far south. Most of these venues are supported by Malay guys coming over the border for RR. Only once in the last 5 years I can remember an indiscrimminate attack on tourist infrastructure and that was on a southern train. 

Have had a house in Songkhla (City) for a number of years, and when I needed to cross the border, travelled up to Satun. There are only three provinces I will not visit and on the advice of locals, and they are to the south of Songkhla. Even parts of Songkhla I will not visit. If they will not go to these provinces, then certainly a farang should not either. I do not have a death wish.

On 2/6/2017 at 2:28 AM, kikenyoy said:

I asked a Thai man I know here in Pattaya and he said the militants want to damage Thailand's reputation and hurt tourism with the attacks and killing a Farang would be a great way to do that

This thai man should be invited to take ovr thr tourism portfolio. He seems to possess insights and understandings  current tourism authorities lack.

39 minutes ago, Pepper1959 said:

Have had a house in Songkhla (City) for a number of years, and when I needed to cross the border, travelled up to Satun. There are only three provinces I will not visit and on the advice of locals, and they are to the south of Songkhla. Even parts of Songkhla I will not visit. If they will not go to these provinces, then certainly a farang should not either. I do not have a death wish.

Me to .. about 10.

I have already put in my 10 pence, but we seem to made to look like making the issue more than.

I have been through many of times on the van, once on the train - witnessing one incident. I have been through on the bike loads of times, Betong in Yala is a great place, there are lots of Malay tourists and there has been one bomb in the past 10 years, but riding through Yala city or the van stopping in Tak Bah, or some deserted road that the vans always use, I feel edgy.

To say, you have more chance of being involved in a road accident, is fair, but then you don't run around in the middle of the road dressed as the orange tango man with a flashing orange light on your head, which you might as well be when you are out and about around Yala. Agreed, the 'foreigners' who have been killed, are caught up in a Karaoke bar attack. It takes one moment, one person, to think one thing and that your lot. You might never meet that person, but there is always that chance.

OP, it's much safer for a foreigner in Yala than in Pattaya. The insurgents don't target tourists (not talking of teachers), they have other interests. Be careful how you behave when dealing with army special forces though. I have traveled there a lot and my second home is near the above mentioned Chana district, never felt unsafe nor had any problems, only care about the ordinary criminals who exist everwhere.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:00 AM, kikenyoy said:

I would be going there to see a part of Thailand that I've never seen and to experience the culture with locals. If all I cared about is pussy then why would I ever leave Pattaya? I would love to go but I want some educated opinions on how dangerous it would be to go.

As my beloved old grandmother used to say "Sonny never put yourself in harms way"

I have lived in Yala.. I was the only white person i knew in Yala. I was the only white person any Yala person knew in Yala.

There are other foreigners, however they are of other darker toned Asian nationalities and blend in very well. I do not. People would stop their cars to look at me in the street. It is very very different to what you might see elsewhere. But you can also feel the open sense of hostility towards you. 

I got very sick, and had to go to the hospital. Whilst waiting, a Muslim man came to me and asked me what my name was, what I was doing in Yala, what my job was, who I was staying with, who did I know here. Having a background with a fair understanding of the importance of not passing on information which might be used against you in the future I gave nothing. But wondered, why would anyone want to know all of the above and nothing else? it is the kind of place you truly keep to yourself, and don't mix with anyone you don't know, it is a very very conservative part of Thailand and the locals like it that way.

How long is a piece of string ? I have traveled to Yala and Kota Buru .On the train that particular day there where armed guards. Obviously the risks are greater but traveling alone i had no problem and most people very friendly.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:20 AM, kikenyoy said:

<deleted>,  I want to know how likely I am to be injured/killed from visiting there. I'm well aware of the risks of getting involved with a bar girl. LOL.  I've visited over 40 provinces on my own and never had any problems, but the far south is a place where I'd feel a lot safer being with a local. The purpose of going there is to see the province and have a new experience/adventure. I'm not going with the hopes of getting involved with the girl.

Personally I wouldn't go there, You would probably be safe but then why take the chance when there are many other places in Thailand you haven't seen and not near as risky. I am sure your Embassy would warn you about this also.

As I said you probably won't die but for me I try to avoid trouble. Many people who find themselves in trouble later could have avoided it to if they thought wisely before making a bad decision and before it all happened.

Archived