Australian woman dead after colliding with husband's jetski at Kata Beach

webfact

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, eggers said:

No, but people do need to aware of dangers that may not be as self evident as a slippery wet floor.

The whole idea of Smart Traveller is to inform travellers of precautions that apply in countries  & what to avoid for health & safety.  

The nanny state mentality gone mad.

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

And with all the licensing and warning (for-profit industries on their own) people still have accidents, people still smoke and they drink alcohol, people still overuse prescription drugs, people still exceed the speed limits, people still overload electric outlets, they still play with matches and with fireworks, people still play sports that may cause irreparable injury. 

Most regulations and warnings are just ways to shift the blame and say "I told you so" and to cover someone's a** to avoid being held accountable. 

Any sensible adult should realize riding at high speed on motorized vehicles at sea has some risks. Having your mother look after you for about 18 years should be long enough.

28 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Posts like this puzzle me. If she was ugly or maybe Thai, perhaps her death wouldn't be as tragic....

Yes, there are several posts lamenting how beautiful she/they are as if that was what was important or raised its significance about all the other tragic accidents that happen daily around the world.

And as usual, the whole thing is Thailand's fault in some "minds."

I have seen these accidents on lakes in the USA. What usually happens is that the riders do not look behind themselves before executing a tight turn. The other jetskier is racing up on one side of them and cannot react quick enough, and BANG. If they are lucky they are not badly injured....sadly in this case it ended badly.

Good point but in the US the Marine Police are heavy on Drinking , here nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My God,what a bloody shame. She was a nice looking girl(although that isnt important) And they looked happy together.The husband must be in bits. You know, you go on holiday, with all the determination to have a great time in a tropical country, and this happens.

It seems to me that,Thailand kills many tourists/expats,any way it can,and on a regular basis.

RIP young Lady.You didn't deserve this.

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

On Australian news.  Absolute tragedy and she was so young and beautiful.  There should be a law that you must posses a licence to hire a jet ski,  motor bike etc.  I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

Does it matter that she was (in your view) beautiful? Does that for you magnify the severity of the tragedy? 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Posts like this puzzle me. If she was ugly or maybe Thai, perhaps her death wouldn't be as tragic....

What an insensitive thing to say!!

Person has died tragically; it's the loss of a young life that matters irrespective of who they are.

The problem with jet skis is you need power to steer. Inexperienced people often panic in a situation when getting close and power off. Sometimes too late. I was giving a girl in Australia a ride and she come too close to a concrete wall in the river and let go of handle bars. I very quickly reached around her turned the steering hard left and hit the power. Missed the wall by centimetres. 

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

On Australian news.  Absolute tragedy and she was so young and beautiful.  There should be a law that you must posses a licence to hire a jet ski,  motor bike etc.  I know you must have on in Australia but I guess that money comes before lives in Thailand.

and the reason it was on TV In Australia 'so young and beautiful'. Why am i having a Michelle Corby moment?

theguyfromanotherforum.

By using that rationale,you must be just as puzzled by the disinterest of the police when a ferang kills a ferang,or when a Thai kills a ferang.Also when a daughter of a ferang family was killed,the police told the family "its ok,you can just go home and make another one."

I would replace the word puzzled by the word disturbed.

8 hours ago, eggers said:

No, but people do need to aware of dangers that may not be as self evident as a slippery wet floor.

The whole idea of Smart Traveller is to inform travellers of precautions that apply in countries  & what to avoid for health & safety.  

You don't have to warn adults about the dangers of driving a high speed motorcycle on water. Wake up. 

And Thailand is just one of many countries that rent jet skis and motor bikes to tourist so are all the other counties farang money grubbers also? 

Adults get to make adult decisions.  Nothing wrong with that and I prefer it over the nanny state dictating what adults can and cannot do. 

RIP to the young woman and peace to the young man. Accidents happen and life is worth living. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Lets settle for loved one. Death kind of makes any of the above irrelevant. 

Innocent question.  Flaming reply post.

I was simply trying to sort out  the information from three conflicting sources.  Sorry to offend your sense of values. 

21 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

You don't have to warn adults about the dangers of driving a high speed motorcycle on water. Wake up. 

And Thailand is just one of many countries that rent jet skis and motor bikes to tourist so are all the other counties farang money grubbers also? 

Adults get to make adult decisions.  Nothing wrong with that and I prefer it over the nanny state dictating what adults can and cannot do. 

RIP to the young woman and peace to the young man. Accidents happen and life is worth living. 

What BS....why do countries have road laws + other laws??

Adults don't always act as adults should. 

Sure, some laws can be over the top, but most are to protect majority of population: no laws = Anarchy!!

Never forget that life is so cheap in Thailand. 

Motorbike,..jet ski?

No problem.

How big a CC do you want....fast one?.

No problem.

You ride before. No ?

No problem.

There is no control nor will there ever be. Money is the king.

What a tragedy for both this young couple. 

Came to Thailand to have a fun in the sun....a holiday of a lifetime and then go home in a box. 

Dreadful.

RIP.

11 minutes ago, eggers said:

Sure, some laws can be over the top, but most are to protect majority of population: no laws = Anarchy!!

Can one rent a jetski in Australia  without a licence ?

1 minute ago, eggers said:

We are talking about pleasure activities and choices. If you want big government telling you what to do all the time good for you.   I choose Thailand until they start telling me what pleasure activities I can and cannot do. Twenty years old is old enough to decide to rent a jet ski or not for Christs sake. Driving license is a different thing as it is not a pleasure choice. Maybe you want smoking outlawed and drinking and card playing.  Let's regulate the heck out of everything because adults cannot make their own choices. I left that behind in the USA and never want that again. Accidents happen. This was an tragic accident. 

1 minute ago, Wake Up said:

We are talking about pleasure activities and choices. If you want big government telling you what to do all the time good for you.   I choose Thailand until they start telling me what pleasure activities I can and cannot do. Twenty years old is old enough to decide to rent a jet ski or not for Christs sake. Driving license is a different thing as it is not a pleasure choice. Maybe you want smoking outlawed and drinking and card playing.  Let's regulate the heck out of everything because adults cannot make their own choices. I left that behind in the USA and never want that again. Accidents happen. This was an tragic accident. 

Laws are put in place b/c people can't regulate their own behaviour, doesn't matter if pleasure or essential activities they can impact other people.

As case here someone has died b/c of their actions, what if, was someone close to you would have same outlook? 

7 hours ago, Docno said:

Have hired a jetski in Florida before without needing to show a license, so I guess the same can be said of the US. The thing doesn't require a PhD to operate. Staying alive on one is simply a case of having some judgment and not being stupid. No license will guarantee that,...

But refusing them the hire because they didn't have a licence would have save her life.  A licence doesn't save a life yes but not getting on a "RENTED"  jet ski without one Would.

1 hour ago, Fookhaht said:

Innocent question.  Flaming reply post.

I was simply trying to sort out  the information from three conflicting sources.  Sorry to offend your sense of values. 

I do not offend that easily. Just checked my wallet my sense of values are OK. I was just a casual comment not meant to slight anyone. Sorry if I struck a nerve. 

39 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Can one rent a jetski in Australia  without a licence ?

Mate you can't do anything in Australia without a licence, planning permit, tax receipt, authority signed in triplicate, submitted, queried, resubmitted, re-taxed and make sure you're wearing a helmet and don't say or do anything one may construe as being in any way considered even vaguely 'offensive'.  Then you come to beautiful Thailand where it's comparatively 'free and easy' (that's one reason the tourists come) and the Thais get clobbered for it when the ordure hits the rapidly rotating propeller-driven cooling device. 

I do not offend that easily. Just checked my wallet my sense of values are OK. I was just a casual comment not meant to slight anyone. Sorry if I struck a nerve. 

Yeah, I was on the defensive. A previous post of mine posing the same question was thrown out as a troll post. Sorry for overreacting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived